Home theatre help-budget 5 lakhs

bose i was thinking for the rest of the basement. I really dont understand why people dump bose that much.. i hear that since bose does not appoint distributors and insists on company selling only, the people in this trade arent able to make money of it so they shortsell bose.. to be honest, i love bose sound and its stage setting.

As far as the comment that bose is all marketing hype etc etc, dont u think JBL falls into the same category ? hell ive even lost track of the no. of JBL brands !! JBL : audio :: Hindustan lever : FMCG !!!!

ANyways, one things clear about my space :
1. I need a big center. narrowing down to dali ikon series.
2. 2 woofers sounds like a given.
3. i need to partition my space. Anyone got good ideas on that ?
4. For my other space , i am using ceiling mounted speakers from sonodyne. Cant to wall mounts since wiring is already done.
5. will need to throw down some kind of carpeting to absorb the sound and maybe some paneling on the far walls.
6. can anyone recommend a good 10 meter HDMI cable as my old one's connector got chewed away by MICE !!! HDMI 1.4 is the latest iteration to this i believe ?
7. i think ill throw down a CPU for my ripped movies.. none of the Blu ray network streamers will play my mkv's like VLC does !!!
8. ill get a tatasky HD for the basement
9. projector will be either BENQ, OPTOMA, PANASONIC AE series. i think ill go for the NON 3 D series as i am not a fan of current 3 D technologies.

there, that answers some of that !!!

Moderators handle forum decorum. The members are the people who will help you get going :)

Forget home theatre unless you have a lot of blurays and you're hell bent on getting 7.1 channels of walls of sound.

Going with a stereo setup you can invest in 2 very high end speakers instead of multiple upper medium end speakers.
For amplifiers any decent amp around the 1.5 lakh range should do for the jamos and for the zu you can get a high end tube amp from viren like the gm70 monoblocks

And with the remainin cash you invest in good interconnects and a good DAC like
the musicla fidelity m1 dac.

I will disagree. And this disagreement though I own a fairly high-end 2 channel analogue system. But a decent surround sound system can sound quite good and has an immersion factor that has its own merrit and value over 2 channel sound when it comes to movies.
For music only no disagreement that 2 channel is the way to go.

The right components will help. High-end'ish AVRs from Cambridge Audio, Arcam, Marantaz can sound quite good (I own an older Arcam unit). Coupled with entry level or better high-end speakers in 5.1 can result in very satisfying movie experience.

So I run a two channel system and a seperate surround sound system. Now part of this is that I do not want my two channel system compromised by having a TV in the middle and all the extra wires, RF and electrical interference (my 2 channel system is on seperate circuits), etc. But then I am an audiophile first and foremost and movie buff a close second!

Last edited:
bose i was thinking for the rest of the basement. I really dont understand why people dump bose that much.. i hear that since bose does not appoint distributors and insists on company selling only, the people in this trade arent able to make money of it so they shortsell bose.. to be honest, i love bose sound and its stage setting.

Bose is dumped on because the sound reproduction is equalized and abnormal. In the equlization process (done in their amps and crossovers) much harmonic detail is lost. If you liked Bose sound than I would think you have not heard an entry level or better high-end system.

To most folks who have only heard mid-fi sound or worse, bose will sound good. But once you have experienced better sound reproduction you realize that the bose sound is homoginized, lacking inner detail (harmonic), and obscures background detail & instruments in its reproduction of voice and instruments (music).

Last edited:
Bose is an incredible value for money - 99% people who visit you will be mighty impressed, and think highly of you. If you like the looks and the sound, why not bose?

Per my earlier note to another poster, looks aside, I would say if you like sound/music why bose? :eek:hyeah:

From my perspective (living in usa), bose is like hienkien beer or chivas scotch. Most folks with little experience think its good thanks to marketing but its acutally quite bad once you've had something better. so the 99% you are refering to are inexperienced. and one should not cater to what other people think.:)

And as for looks, once you see (hear :) ) its only skin deep with bose you'll never like the look of it again.

Last edited:
For 5 lakhs I would be quite saddened to see the op investing in mediocre components such as jbl array and revel concerta, hell I would be saddened if he even invested in those jamo's I suggested without a matching amp.

There are amazing things one can get for 5lakhs.

IMO
Forget home theatre
Forget party warty wall hanging speakers
Forget walls of sound

5 Lakhs is a lot of money
Dont waste it on quantity
Spend it on quality.

The op needs to participate more in this thread.

A lot of posts by me as I cruise this thread.... :yahoo:

5 lakhs of money can buy quite a good HT setup that can also be musically satisfying.
I am a 2 channel proponent as well (I run a separate 2 channel setup) but a good surround sound for movies has its own merits!

My recommendations would be:

- Arcam AVR - nothing better for music&movies in a surround system unless you go for much higher priced seperates
- Good/decent cable like Kimber 8tc - yes, cables make a huge difference. better can be had but much more money needs to be spent.
- Lots and lots of good speaker choices since you will still have 2 lakhs to spend. My advice would be that the front and surround speakers be the same (not a reduced model for the back/surround speakers) and a pair of forward subwoofers.

Last edited:
Whatever you buy but my main recommendation is not to mix and match. The whole 5.1 / 7.1 system should have similar drivers for coherent sound fields. This has been accepted by some of the best Hollywood sound directors. I will still advice to check the B&W 800 series with Arcam, marantz, denon etc whichever matches the best.

And definitely for movies at least 5.1 channels is the way to go.

gentlemen i am back ! after the hiatus spent finalising my house, i will briefly capture my "gyaan additions" during this 1 year

1. I have now partitioned by movie area from the rest of the basement. the movie area is about 35 ft (lenght) x 22 ft (width) x 12 ft (height)
2. I took out all the previous wires and my hdmi connector got bitten away by a freakin mouse !! so new copper wires (bandridge) and hdmi (profigold) have been laid for a 7.2 setup considering its still a pretty HUGE room.

2. For the rest of the basement, i have wired in sonodyne in ceiling speakers. I have put in maybe 8-10 speakers to fill up the remaining basement

now for the sound :

1. i am split between a 7.2 wharferdale diamond 10 setup setting me back by about 2.5 L OR an IKON 6 MK2 setup (7.1) which is setting me back by about 3.5 L. I am confused between the two and have heard neither.

2. for the projection, i am pretty much sold on the epson TW8100 for about 1.2 lakhs or so.

so i need your help AGAIN for breaking the deadlock between wharferdale and Dali IKON Mk2. difference of about a lakh of rupees and i am mainly looking for big sound and watching movies on this rig.

await reverts / suggestions !!

There is no contest between the Wharfedales and the Dails. Dalis will simply be in another league in terms of detail, refinement, sound-stage etc. They will provide you a smooth fatigue-free experience over extended periods of watching movie, listening to music.

PS: If you can up your budget a little bit, there is an amazing deal on home theater right now. I am parting with my HT and you could be the beneficiary :)

bud, i am sorry but i really have no insight into this stuff.. also, i am not in a position to increase my budget !! but thanks for the help and the info !

FINALLY ! just plonked the cash on a dali ikon mk2 5.1 setup (minus the incredible dali ikon woofer and instead the E 12F sub to save cost). can someone help on the amp ? is the pioneer VSX 1122 a good amp for this pairing ? my setup is now as follows : dali ikon mk2 front towers, 1 dali ikon vokal 2 center, 1 pair dali ikon on wall and a sub E 12 F (dali) -- 5.1 setup but im wired for a 7.2 so i can add the extra pair of speakers and a sub later when budget prevails.
also plonked the cash on epson TW8100 plus liberty grandview manual screen
source , am not decided on so far. have a ps3 so maybe use that for blu ray (very occasionly) and will get the tata sky HD for sports and stuff
for majority of my movie addiction, ill be playing back the mkv's and avi's from my apple macbook which ill hook up to the amp.
so, my total outlay is around 3.8 lakhs and being the OP i stand corrected on my 5 lakh figure which is now far distant. although i am sure , time and money prevailing, i can scale up to a 7.2 at a later stage.
sooo, someone help me with the amp (ill buy a single all in one amp instead of the hassle of a power + pre amp) and a way to stream my vlc player movies thru the amp onto the screen

thanks for the support and i shud say ive been helped a lot by this forum !

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back