Home theatre help-budget 5 lakhs

Ok that clears things up. OP's response wasn't clear as multiple people asked the same thing I did.

I generally would not comment on these kind of participation, but I am curious as to your intentions here. In the 2nd post you said, 'HT are Bleh'. You knew then itself as to what the OP wanted. More than anything the title says 'Home Theater Help'. And then you go on to say the OP has to participate and that you are not clear as to his requirements. Asish has visited and met with the client and I am sure he understands the OP's requirements clearly.

And then you go on to call some equipment you have never seen or heard as mediocre.

What exactly were your intentions or objective in these contradictory and vacillating posts? Not that you have to explain, but my mind boggles with these kind of posts.

Cheers

I generally would not comment on these kind of participation, but I am curious as to your intentions here.

My objective was to get a clear answer of what the OP's requirements were
- which has finally been answered clearly met from Ashish's 2nd last answer. There are two rooms; a: Hall b: Room dedicated for music

In the 2nd post you said, 'HT are Bleh'. You knew then itself as to what the OP wanted. More than anything the title says 'Home Theater Help'.

It was an idea/suggestion to the OP, he doesn't have to adhere to it. Free thought promotes ideas. My suggestion achieved a positive result when the OP posted the following giving us a better estimation of his requirements (which were still blurry)

hi,

i am actually not sure if i need a home theatre as such since i am not planning to make dedicated seating or do acoustics. i just need big sound for my basement and dedicate one section to watch movies and sport with a projector.

what are the other options of getting a basement full of sound ? my basement is about 2500 sq ft of area.

can i get any of the moderators ph no or some good audio consultant can be advised to me as i need to fill in the sound now.

i also need help on roof mounted speakers for the basement.. any recommendations on those ?

Here we had a general idea of the space but not the layout.

And then you go on to say the OP has to participate and that you are not clear as to his requirements. Asish has visited and met with the client and I am sure he understands the OP's requirements clearly.

Indeed they were not clear at that point and Ashish's details were still not clear till the post where he mentioned
The OP Clearly states that he wants a Home Theatre System for his dedicated room and for his Large Hall he wants Music.

Now we finally have a clear idea of his layout.

And then you go on to call some equipment you have never seen or heard as mediocre.

Mediocre is a subjective term, I'm objective about it. I don't understand why it has to be taken so harshly.

What exactly were your intentions or objective in these contradictory and vacillating posts? Not that you have to explain, but my mind boggles with these kind of posts.

I don't see contradiction anywhere, there was confusion, the confusion has been resolved. Ashish's post about the multichannel system and the floorstanders now make logical sense and has cleared things up. Which is why I said

Ok that clears things up.

Anyway, it appears I'm causing problems in the thread so this is my last post on this thread.

Last edited:
Someone starts a thread claiming he has 5L to spend, wants to fill a large basement of 2,500 sq ft with sound, wishes to watch movies and sports with a projector, and looking for advice/help from others. Fine. Several respond in different directions, music or movies, room treatment, several speaker brands, etc. This reminds me of the following story:

This guy walks into a bar and tells the bartender to line up 10 glasses and start filling them up with beer. So the bartender starts filling the glasses up with beer, and the man is right behind him drinking them straight down. The bartender says, hay buddy whats your hurry? The man says if you had what I have you would do the same thing. The bartender backs up and says what do you have. The man says about 75 cents!

Good luck, mate, and hope you get what you finally "really" want.
There is a saying: you do what you are, you are what you do; you do what you aren't, you will be what you are doing.

P.S. Writing with not more than a glass of beer...

cheers.

murali

hi guys,

sorry for being incommunicondo and creating a dust storm here. I have been all over past 2 days evaluating and looking up things.

Ashish was kind enough to have a visit and suggest a setup to me.

I think a clarity in requirements is again needed :

1. My "home theatre" space is actually a casual open area as per dimensions given by ashish with a projector mount (havent decided the projector but most probably a BENQ W series or Optoma HD series which have won a lot of good reviews on whatshifi etc)
This space is casual, and will be used for sports viewing, occasional blu ray movies,,listening to music (again not so often), watching movies from my macbook (ripped) :) <<-- for my sunday movie marathon .

2. My other 3/4 of the basement have been wired and i had thought of ceiling mounted speakers to supplement the sound and make it ring throughout my basement. I dont want to speand too much on these speakers and have found half decent ones from sonodyne about 3000-3500 bucks each (although not finalised)

3. Now Iwant BIG sound not necesaarily audipphile grade sound owing to the size of the basmement and my listening preferences. I am not to keen on partitioning out the whole area as it will nullify the effect when i am hosting some people. however, going my popular perception, i will have to create some kind of temporary / sliding partition when watching a movie or Tata sky HD and open it all up when i have about 20-30 people lounging around.

4. I have previewed the following systems : deftech BP range , dali zensor 5 . I have been recommended JBL synthesis etc (LS series), paradign monitor series, revel audio and usher.

My budget so far (about 4 lakhs) affords me : deftech BP 7040HD towers with built in subs + Marantz SR 6005 AMp + BP 8060 HD center (my center needs to be HUGE) as my listening zones are really far out + SR 8040 surrounds.

For the remaining basement ceiling mounted speakers like i said before ill go for the sonodye or equiv (pls recommend !!!!) 6-8" speakers coaxials.

now gentlemen, i await your reverts. !!

thanks for the inputs so far.

also, I have been recommended the pioneer BD 440 to play my rips and blu rays (i planned to hook up my ps3 for the blu ray part but since it cant handle avi's and mkv's i was told to get this all-in-one network device). at about 20K is the pioneer BD 440 good enough to play my avi's with subtitles ? i was told to put my files on a hard disk ( i already have a 1 TB seagate go flex) and hook it up to the BD 440 and play. Can any one clarify if this will indeed work ??

Will you be using these ceiling mounted speakers to play instrumental ambient music or are they for a different purpose?

Ill be using them for extending out the basement sound. I was proposed a "barset" from apart audi having 6 speakers , 2 woofers , 1 amp for about 1.7 lakhs for the remaining basement. And i was told that i can run this setup for 10 hrs without any tripping etc.

But for this budget i can get bose 5.1 also.. so again.. confused.

Someone starts a thread claiming he has 5L to spend, wants to fill a large basement of 2,500 sq ft with sound, wishes to watch movies and sports with a projector, and looking for advice/help from others. Fine. Several respond in different directions, music or movies, room treatment, several speaker brands, etc. This reminds me of the following story:

This guy walks into a bar and tells the bartender to line up 10 glasses and start filling them up with beer. So the bartender starts filling the glasses up with beer, and the man is right behind him drinking them straight down. The bartender says, hay buddy whats your hurry? The man says if you had what I have you would do the same thing. The bartender backs up and says what do you have. The man says about 75 cents!

Good luck, mate, and hope you get what you finally "really" want.
There is a saying: you do what you are, you are what you do; you do what you aren't, you will be what you are doing.

P.S. Writing with not more than a glass of beer...

cheers.

murali

yea.. thanks.. i will surely invite you for my house warming to answer your above query.. nicely put by the way..

Ill be using them for extending out the basement sound. I was proposed a "barset" from apart audi having 6 speakers , 2 woofers , 1 amp for about 1.7 lakhs for the remaining basement. And i was told that i can run this setup for 10 hrs without any tripping etc.

But for this budget i can get bose 5.1 also.. so again.. confused.

Dude, Bose is highly overpriced and not at all worth it. And why are you going for ceiling speakers? My suggestion would be go for a good HT 5.1 system. Add 2 pairs of floorstanders strategically using the Zone 2 and Zone 3 configuration in your avr. Add 1 subwoofer wherever you feel is the right placement apart from the one you have in your ht. Now, you can play music in any Zone you want and you can also play all zones together. All this with just one avr. Getting ceiling speakers installed is not a very bright idea as the quality of speakers you are installing want compliment the hi-fi setup you'll have. And these many speakers will be more than enough to fill your basement with sound. And as you have mentioned Paradigm, I have Monitor 9 floorstanders in my basement and they are more than enough for music, my basement being around 1500 sq. ft.

Point is, you'll be much better off investing in floorstanders rather than installing ceiling speakers...

Dude, Bose is highly overpriced and not at all worth it. And why are you going for ceiling speakers? My suggestion would be go for a good HT 5.1 system. Add 2 pairs of floorstanders strategically using the Zone 2 and Zone 3 configuration in your avr. Add 1 subwoofer wherever you feel is the right placement apart from the one you have in your ht. Now, you can play music in any Zone you want and you can also play all zones together. All this with just one avr. Getting ceiling speakers installed is not a very bright idea as the quality of speakers you are installing want compliment the hi-fi setup you'll have. And these many speakers will be more than enough to fill your basement with sound. And as you have mentioned Paradigm, I have Monitor 9 floorstanders in my basement and they are more than enough for music, my basement being around 1500 sq. ft.

Point is, you'll be much better off investing in floorstanders rather than installing ceiling speakers...

Point well taken bro.. Give me s lead on the price for a pair of monitor 9's, the amp as per ur above discussion, and a dealer for the paradign system.

Any help u can give on a way to play my avi and mkv without plugging my laptop to the amp ? I am recommended the pioneer bd440.

Point well taken bro.. Give me s lead on the price for a pair of monitor 9's, the amp as per ur above discussion, and a dealer for the paradign system.

Dealer Contact Details:

Mr. Sandeep Jain
M/s. Trinity Sound & Vision
Contact No: 011 4506 4321 / 098106 10306

He will give you a great deal on Paradigm, and is an authorized dealer, but I don't know him personally so deal with caution..

The MRP of Paradigm M9 is 56,000 and you would get a discount ~15% from this dealer depending on your negotiation skills. There is another dealer at Barakhamba road who keeps Paradigm for auditioning.

About the Avr, I would suggest Denon 4311, I am not totally sure about its price but i guess its ~1.7L. MR. Sandeep is also a Denon dealer so you can ask him about that.

Any help u can give on a way to play my avi and mkv without plugging my laptop to the amp ? I am recommended the pioneer bd440

I am using a Sony BDP-S480 player which plays almost all avi and mkv files. I got it almost a year back from thailand for 8k. You can get it for ~13-14k in India. But if you're going to watch ripped movies, a better idea is to attach a cpu to your ht which will cost you within 20-25k as you will be able to play any file format and all blu-ray discs. Also, you can use applications such as airmouse which will let you control your pc from your iphone/ipad/android. Plus, you won't have any region ka panga.

But, my recommendation is that go in for a dvd/blu-ray rental plan to be able to enjoy your system to the full. Or else it would be like buying a Lamborghini and driving it in Chandni Chowk.... :eek:hyeah:

Dealer Contact Details:

Mr. Sandeep Jain
M/s. Trinity Sound & Vision
Contact No: 011 4506 4321 / 098106 10306

He will give you a great deal on Paradigm, and is an authorized dealer, but I don't know him personally so deal with caution..

The MRP of Paradigm M9 is 56,000 and you would get a discount ~15% from this dealer depending on your negotiation skills. There is another dealer at Barakhamba road who keeps Paradigm for auditioning.

About the Avr, I would suggest Denon 4311, I am not totally sure about its price but i guess its ~1.7L. MR. Sandeep is also a Denon dealer so you can ask him about that.

I am using a Sony BDP-S480 player which plays almost all avi and mkv files. I got it almost a year back from thailand for 8k. You can get it for ~13-14k in India. But if you're going to watch ripped movies, a better idea is to attach a cpu to your ht which will cost you within 20-25k as you will be able to play any file format and all blu-ray discs. Also, you can use applications such as airmouse which will let you control your pc from your iphone/ipad/android. Plus, you won't have any region ka panga.

But, my recommendation is that go in for a dvd/blu-ray rental plan to be able to enjoy your system to the full. Or else it would be like buying a Lamborghini and driving it in Chandni Chowk.... :eek:hyeah:

thanks for all your help !! i would love to splurge on blu rays but my problem is i cant WAIT. If a good movie comes up i watch it in the theatre, but some good hollywood movies dont make it to our shore's so i have no options left !

thanks for all your help !! i would love to splurge on blu rays but my problem is i cant WAIT. If a good movie comes up i watch it in the theatre, but some good hollywood movies dont make it to our shore's so i have no options left !

Will agree with you on that one bro. Anyways, do post your experience with the dealer. And as I said earlier, look at buying a CPU than a blu-ray player if your're going to play ripped movies.....

Avoid Bose and do some auditioning before pulling the trigger. I can recommend the Optoma HD 20, since I have one. Look at separates-preamp processor and power amp if you can instead of an AVR. Gte a good subwoofer, or two.

Bose is an incredible value for money - 99% people who visit you will be mighty impressed, and think highly of you. If you like the looks and the sound, why not bose?

Most of your money should go into the Front floor standers and the center channel. Next comes AVR.

You can try Paradigm studio 100. Studio series a step up from the monitor series.

Thanks
Pandu

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back