Home Theatre Help

kevin23

Which HT?

Tried reading thru the threads but most of the stuff goes over my head. So let me explain my setup.
I will have a 50" Plasma TV, Media player and SD cable box.
Will be used mostly for movies i.e hd & full hd with aac & dts sound. Presently i have a phillips Hts 3265 ht. No digital input or hdmi with this set.
Room size is 15 (l) X 10 (w) X 10 (h).

What would be the options?

Thanks

Onkyo HT-S3400 could suit your requirements. It has 4 HDMI inputs. Cost is around Rs.25K. Onkyo is generally recommended for movies.

By the way, I should also mention that Onkyo HT-S3400 does not have DVD/Blu-ray player as part of the package. I suppose your Philips HT has that capability. So, if you choose Onkyo HT-S3400 and want a Blu-ray player, you have to purchase that separately.

Last week i bought 3300 + samsung Bd player @ 25k at hypercity vashi. check with them or reliance digital. The performance is very good.

I wont be requiring a player as i play all my movies on my media player. HD rips mostly. No cd's or dvd's. Just basically want good sound capabilities.

I wont be requiring a player as i play all my movies on my media player. HD rips mostly. No cd's or dvd's. Just basically want good sound capabilities.

Well it all depends on your budget. Once you have that pegged then members can help you with suggestions and shortlist.

IMHO its better to go in for a budget AVR and 5.1 system rather than the Onkyo entry level HTIBs.

Cheers !

Well it all depends on your budget. Once you have that pegged then members can help you with suggestions and shortlist.

IMHO its better to go in for a budget AVR and 5.1 system rather than the Onkyo entry level HTIBs.

Cheers !

Budget would be 30k. What combinations and where can i check it in mumbai ?

Budget would be 30k. What combinations and where can i check it in mumbai ?

Well I don't think it would be possible to get an AVR + 5.1 speaker set up at the price range of 30k. At the minimum you would get a Yamaha RX-V371BL for 17, 950 and Pioneer S-HS111US for 17,745 k = 35k odd. Maybe bargaining would bring it down a notch.

For speakers you could also try the more expensive Infinity 500 or ETC and the result would be much better than the Onkyos Htibs. I personally didn't like the music performance of the Onkyos or the entry level HK.

Would advise you to audition equipments which would give you a better idea of what kind of sound would satisfy you. We all have different preferences and whats right for one may not be right for the other.

Cheers !

You can also look for Budget DIY speakers. Look for such in the DIY section of this forum.

I am getting a good price for the 3400 so will go with that. Been offered at 22k with bill.

Last edited:
hi kevin, could u please tell me if your vendor can sell me onkyo 3400's avr only and instead of onkyo speaker , if i may buy jbl cinema 300 , to pair with onkyo avr, and at what price if possible.

regards , vishal pandit
i like jbl speakers much better than onkyo's 3400 ones.

hi kevin, could u please tell me if your vendor can sell me onkyo 3400's avr only and instead of onkyo speaker , if i may buy jbl cinema 300 , to pair with onkyo avr, and at what price if possible.

regards , vishal pandit

Will be going on Saturday , will ask him.

regards , vishal pandit

Na Vishal, the avr is not available sepeartely. He was saying he could try for the new yamaha ht model to give the avr seperately.

regards , vishal pandit

Hi,

Are the JBL Cinema 300 good for music also ? What price you are getting and from where in Mumbai and how are those compared to Jamo 102 HCS 5?

My requirement is 60:40(Movie:Music)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I too think it is better to have one option to play the video content instead of having multiple players like a media player, DVD & Blue ray player etc.

V.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back