Home Theatre Selection

nitinbose

Hi Members,

This is my first post to this forum.

I currently have a Sony DAV-DZ120K, which I use for mostly music, but also for movies. However I'm not satisfied by its performance, hence considering purchasing an Onkyo TX-SR605 A/V receiver.

I would like to know if any of the members have experience with this model, as well as any other valuable suggestions you may have.

Thanks,

Nitin.

Hi Nitin

If you listen to music mostly , then its no use buying a AV Receiver, instead you can try a stereo combination say

Marantz PM4001
Marantz CD5001
Tannoy / Mission / Monitor audio stand mount speakers.

mohan

Nitin,

Just add Moudaunt Short Avant 902i & Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s also in your auditions, along with Mohan's suggestions.

In case you are strictly looking out for an AVR, with music in mind, I would say hear Cambridge Audio & Marantz AVRs. They are more musical than Onkyo any day.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Gentlemen,

Thanks very much for the responses and suggestions.

A bit of a confusion here: Why would not the A/V receiver such as Onkyo produce less quality of music, while most agree their excellence in movie reproduction? I thought movie audio was more complex than normal audio sources such as CDs/MP3s.

Please suggest. Above all my budget for the receiver can be a max of 45k, I would want to expend the remaining funds for the speakers.

Please recommend me a model in this price range. How would you rate the Sony HT-DDW1600 - Muteki?? Is that model worth purchasing?

Thanks,

Nitin.

Hi EveryBody.. I'm Back!!

Thanks for all the suggestions... I went ahead and purchased the Onkyo HT-SR800 system..

I really do not know how to comment on the quality, but its simply suberb!! I almost cried out of joy after hearing my favorite music tracks and movies.

There is a distint difference between the Sony HT system I'd previously purchased (Sony DAV-DZ120K)

There is a lot of good Bass. Most importantly, there is quality. What i mean is that I can literarily separate the various instruments. Amazingly clear!!

Thanks unleash_me.. I strongly stayed away from the Sony HT-DDW1600.. To me, Sony is rather a "Noise Making System" instead of being a Music/Home Theatre system.

Well.. If I go on praising.. I shall keep on typing.. :D:D:D:D
I strongly recommend this system to any buyer.

Nitin.

The actual cost is 54K, however I purchased it during the offer, hence got it for 39.9K. Please hurry before the offer closes, so that you could buy it for this price :)

Nitin.

Hi Nitin,

I too got the HT SR 800 Onkyo system (It has at 550 Receiver + 7 speaker set).

Along with a Sony HDMI DVD and HDMI Cable I got the total for abt 42 (assuming the DVD is for 5K, the HT SR system was for 37 K with a digital cable to connect my DVD with the receiver).

Its good and yes the system is one of the best for an entry level home theatre.

The other option that I also liked was a Denon 1507 receiver (a very good receiver with HDMI output and I felt this to be more user friendly than the onkyo one) with polk RM 105 satellite speakers for abt 39000 - retailing at Pro FX. The sound quality was good but I liked the output from HT SR 800 better.

best

If you consider the HT-SR800 to be entry level, what would you rate as medium or good home theater system? :)

Ofcourse, you have to add better speaker systems for the front, to give the best results.

Satellites may not be a good performer, especially due to its small size.

Planning on upgrading the speakers? :)

I'm planning to upgrade the front speakers in a few months down the line.

Thanks,

Nitin.

The actual cost is 54K, however I purchased it during the offer, hence got it for 39.9K. Please hurry before the offer closes, so that you could buy it for this price :)

Nitin.

If you don't mind, can you list down all the systems and accessories that you have purchased.. I 'm a newbie here and facing a dilemma how to start with a budget of Rs50 K .
Can somebody please advise?

Hi Nitin
Get a HTSR 800 system of Onkyo..this will have an amp, woofer and 7 speakers.

Then get a DVD player say philips or sony that is hdmi compatible....

This set together should be about 42 if you bargain well!

If you want a TV within 50K budget then you will have to go for a HTSR 600system...

Hi Nitin
Get a HTSR 800 system of Onkyo..this will have an amp, woofer and 7 speakers.

Then get a DVD player say philips or sony that is hdmi compatible....

This set together should be about 42 if you bargain well!

If you want a TV within 50K budget then you will have to go for a HTSR 600system...

Thank's mate ..this is good choice I think.. somehow I would like to venture in a separate systems too..like Marantz,Denon etc.
I' now staying in NOIDA ; are there any nearby showroom which I can have some test -session or possibly buy ? Are there any nearby shops in Delhi/Noida /Gurgaon ...

Want to buy a home theater around 50K

Hi Friends,

I want to buy a home theater for around 50 K . I do not have a very large room but will like the home theater to be powerful enough in case i change the room . I will use it mostly for music . I know home theater is not the best for only music but cannot afford to have a music system and home theater separately . I can go over from 50K to 75 k if i get superb quality guarantee. I live in Bangalore and would prefer brands that have service centers here . here are my options please comment out on pros and cons for each . Please suggest if you have any other options
1) Onkyo HTS 6200 ( 7.1 but no THS )
2) Onkyo HTS 990 (too big )
3) Denon AVR 1610 + wharfdale speakers ( does any one know exact model and cost )
4) onkyo hts 3100
5) denon avr 1610 + jamo s406 speakers
6) denon avr 1601 + onkyo speakers SKS-HT528

As you can see i am confused help me . added to that does any model support straeming music from network ?

if your are looking for HT for music than plz go for
3) Denon AVR 1610 + wharfdale speakers ( does any one know exact model and cost )

similar set is used by one of our frined. please find the following details:

Purchased last weekend from Silo Media (Pune):

Denon AVR 1610
Wharfedale Diamond 9.2 (fronts)
Wharfedale Diamond 9.CS (center)
Wharfedale Diamond 9.DFS (bipolar surrounds)
Audioquest HDMI cable (2m)

Cost me 60K (MRP 69K)

regards,
Sumesh

Last edited:
Back