Home Theatre Speakers - Which ones do you suggest?

Sidharth Trehan

Hi friends,
One of my dear senior audiophile friend, sent another bug across my way.
This noon we were having a chit-chat and i updated him that i have picked a reference series Marantz amp to which he suggested that ...i should use my Dali 6 in a 5.1 home theatre set up (which i am planning to build by the month end).

1) He suggested that with the "Marantz Reference Integrated amp" i should look for more refined speakers. He advised to check Dynaudio, B&W or if nothing appeals then keep a Dali. (I personally dont want to change Dali in auidio setup ...so now read on below and advise as per the second point i mention here under)

...i think i can work on this second option, with some suggestions from my friends in here
2) .....Or he said i should look in for another company which can work in home theater as well as i could use the towers in my lounge if i need some change over Dali.

- B&W or other brand :: Pls suggest floor standers in the range of 70k-1.20K
- B&W or other brand :: pls suggest rear speakers

NOTES
- AVR i shall use for home theater will be a DENON 2309
- Blue Ray - Panasonic BD30
- Home Theater room size shall be - 24ft x 15ft approx

Lastly, please advise the Indian distributors for B&W or any friend/vendor that you know is known for great deals.

thanks in advance.
best wishes

Was just reading reviews & range for B&W online.
Hence, may i request Reviews & Price indications for B&W 704 &/or 703

Thanks a lot.

If you don't mind my saying so, you should rely on your own taste rather than anyone else's suggestion. You have to live with, and listen to, the speakers after all!

Which is certainly not to suggest your audiophile friend is wrong. Far from it -- he may have a valid point and your best interest in mind but I think you should audition these speakers he has suggested (and others) and see if they strike you as giving you that something extra that your Ikon 6 isn't. If you see no added benefit, don't give up a speaker you are happy with.

As for B&W pricing, that's easy to calculate. Just search the web for pricing in the UK and add around 90% to it for a ballpark figure.

Thanks for the feedback brother.

I shall audition the speakers tomorrow or day after. Only after that i shall be taking the decision. I have heard Dali for music only till now not for movies.

Suggestions i take, decision shall be on the basis of what i hear ..guess it goes for everyone. When you are there to spend, we'd want the best from every hard earned bit spent.

I have the tentative figures with me, but have gone wrong in pricing before. So to know the tight/net pricing is a must.

tks again
brgs

As for B&W pricing, that's easy to calculate. Just search the web for pricing in the UK and add around 90% to it for a ballpark figure.

LOL. Good one particleman!

Sidharth, if I may suggest, try to arrange an audition of CM7. I remember it as a wonderful speaker and excellent finish as well. Dont know the pricing or availability for you locally but then you can always use particleman's formula!

All the best.

for CM ..is certainly in the range and looking forward to audition it. thanks.

:D ..for the pricing formula. You both are ensuring that i remain with Dali

brgs

Hey, I was serious -- that formula works :D. The B&W CM7 was priced at Rs. 1,09,000 by Audio Vision India exactly 2 years ago. It may have gone up by now though (or down, you never know!). They list the 704 as being priced at Rs. 1,35,000. Again, old figures.

yea rite! soul saver you are with your formula ..grrr :D

Thanks for the pricing, near about to what i have, I have time to hear the pricing. Once i audition, i should be in a better position to talk on the two models that i am likely to consider.

brgs

For B&W, i found following prices :

685 : complete 5.1 package : 1.36 lacs

684 ( floor standers ) : 69 k

683 i think is roughly 1 lac plus

( add vat 12.5%)

regards

Hi Sid,
I have yet not got the marantz prices from the guy as they are both travelling but will keep u updated.
Now regarding speakers for your amp. Dali Ikon 6 is good enough in my opinion esp since u like the way the speakers sound. B&W 704 (a speaker i like and owned) is great but its close to 1.5L!! The CM 7 is good too and far better than the 600 series but i think that too is over a lac!
Rumour has it that the 700 series is to be upgraded soon. Please call/visit AVI Delhi( have read the horror stories of their behaviour on the forum) and check the best price and availability of the 704. Sometimes these guys can surprize u with the price if they are keen to dispose. As a speaker its an open,articulate and dynamic speaker with great bass. IMO in a different league to the 683/684/603/604 etc.
Regards

Hi Sid,
I have yet not got the marantz prices from the guy as they are both travelling but will keep u updated.
Now regarding speakers for your amp. Dali Ikon 6 is good enough in my opinion esp since u like the way the speakers sound. B&W 704 (a speaker i like and owned) is great but its close to 1.5L!! The CM 7 is good too and far better than the 600 series but i think that too is over a lac!

Rumour has it that the 700 series is to be upgraded soon. Please call/visit AVI Delhi( have read the horror stories of their behaviour on the forum) and check the best price and availability of the 704. Sometimes these guys can surprize u with the price if they are keen to dispose. As a speaker its an open,articulate and dynamic speaker with great bass. IMO in a different league to the 683/684/603/604 etc.
Regards

Good morning everyone

@ Thankre saab
That was kind of you to make a mention of the pricing.
Many thanks for the same.

@ Dinyaar bhai
Thanks to have checked for the Marantz. But you may let it pass now. I could get a decent deal & have placed the order for the PM 15S1 yesterday to be delivered by Sunday. Thanks for your assistance and time that you spared. Much appreciate.

- Ikon 6 is worth keep in all possible aspects and i am not doing away with it for anything.

- 704 @ 1.5L :(

- CM7 is around 1.05-1.10L ..waiting to audition it, have heard about it in loads.

- Shall reach AVI Delhi and see who is more respectable of us both ..shall share my bit of the horror story climax! :D

Lastly, i was looking at Monitors as well.. the only one around the budget and the one i could read a few decent feedback on was the Monitor Audio GS20.
Any feedback is welcome.

Thanks once again

huh ..Just realized there is no AVI Delhi .. its just Mum.

D-bhai, AVI is the importer or a dealer?
err... could you check on current pricing for 704 & CM range (shall pick them if i finalized on b&w in a config with a pair of rears)

Brgs

Huh ..Just realized there is no AVI Delhi .. its just Mum.

D-bhai, AVI is the importer or a dealer?
err... could you check on current pricing for 704 & CM7 (shall pick them if i finalized on b&w in a config with a pair of rears)

Brgs

Hi Again,
There is an outlet that these guys have in delhi. Am sure of it. Its either AVI or A2V. The Nos are 40548884 and its at Saket.
They are the importers and distributors of the Brand. Mumbai No is 022 22004040 and if calling mumbai speak to Burge Cooper or Munir.
DK

Called up the Delhi vendor, super expensive this A2V is dada. Higher pricing can dissuade a potential buyer so royally.

Shall be going around evening hours to audition the speakers 704 (1.45L + 12.5%) & CM7 (1.22L + 12.5%). I am quite sure there could be a way much better pricing than what they have quoted. If not convincing then i shall well limit myself to Dali.

Brgs

Hi friends,
One of my dear senior audiophile friend, sent another bug across my way.
This noon we were having a chit-chat and i updated him that i have picked a reference series Marantz amp to which he suggested that ...i should use my Dali 6 in a 5.1 home theatre set up (which i am planning to build by the month end).

1) He suggested that with the "Marantz Reference Integrated amp" i should look for more refined speakers. He advised to check Dynaudio, B&W or if nothing appeals then keep a Dali. (I personally dont want to change Dali in auidio setup ...so now read on below and advise as per the second point i mention here under)

...i think i can work on this second option, with some suggestions from my friends in here
2) .....Or he said i should look in for another company which can work in home theater as well as i could use the towers in my lounge if i need some change over Dali.

- B&W or other brand :: Pls suggest floor standers in the range of 70k-1.20K
- B&W or other brand :: pls suggest rear speakers

NOTES
- AVR i shall use for home theater will be a DENON 2309
- Blue Ray - Panasonic BD30
- Home Theater room size shall be - 24ft x 15ft approx

Lastly, please advise the Indian distributors for B&W or any friend/vendor that you know is known for great deals.

thanks in advance.
best wishes

hi sid
imo you need a more detailed speaker for stereo music and not the other way around where you upgrade your speakers because youre going into ht. the sound coming out of music is a lot more complex than movies. so if your dalis work for you for music then they should work for you for ht too.

just a suggestion - why dont you work your ht around the dalis - get the rears etc for them. and then you've got the budget to get a really good pair or floorstanders which you can use for your stereo set up

Re: Music Speakers - (Keeping Dali setup for HT)

Proac D15
I am astonished at user reviews i have read for Proac D15.
Anyone used them? Was wondering if just a single driver for mid/bass be that effective that it reproduces both frequencies at the same time and in such a distinguished manner that the speaker is nothing but a set of praises and delightful sessions of music.

Proac TriTower
Unlike the D15's single cone for mid/low, i quote this from Proac's site itself "... midrange cone is housed in its own enclosure. This is to stop any interference from the bass drivers...."

This is pretty contradictory when we read but may not work in auditions, i am indeed left perplexed. Anyway, pls share your own experience with the models above or any that you have personally dealt with or auditioned.

AFJ, Dinyaar, Venkat, NandaKumar & other friends
Proac has been suggested by a few friends for music. Do you guys second it?
If yes, then pls advise its dealer to check the Indian prices & if any place to audition them in Delhi.

Thanks & Regards

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back