Home theatre under 50000

deep_mehta

Hi,

I am looking to buy a home theatre system for my home. I am not an audiophile and found out there are difference between HITB and getting all components separate (so you can guess how nave I am with this).

Folks please advice me what is more advisable and suggest some good combinations for receivers and speakers model combos. Don't have a specific number but between 40k to 60k all in. Don't really want to stretch since I don't spend much time on TV.

Use - General, watching a few movies and bit of music every now and then.

Living room dimensions - 30feet by 25 feet and 9.5feet clear height. Not sure if 5.1 would do or is 7.1 needed here?

Please let me know the models for all combos, estimated cost and any stores I can go to in Mumbai, all your help is much appreciated!

I would suggest spend some time reading some threads in the forum to educate yourself, once you get an idea you will know what to look for.
In the meanwhile you can save some more, coz 50k might be too less to go for a AVR/Speakers combo.
30x25 is a large room, hence you need to plan your setup accordingly. To start with you can look at 5.1 for now.
Keep a look at the pre-owned stuffs in the For Sales section if you might be interested.

Hi,

I am looking to buy a home theatre system for my home. I am not an audiophile and found out there are difference between HITB and getting all components separate (so you can guess how nave I am with this).

Folks please advice me what is more advisable and suggest some good combinations for receivers and speakers model combos. Don't have a specific number but between 40k to 60k all in. Don't really want to stretch since I don't spend much time on TV.

Use - General, watching a few movies and bit of music every now and then.

Living room dimensions - 30feet by 25 feet and 9.5feet clear height. Not sure if 5.1 would do or is 7.1 needed here?

Please let me know the models for all combos, estimated cost and any stores I can go to in Mumbai, all your help is much appreciated!

Visit Mz Audio Bandra - 9819258858

I would suggest spend some time reading some threads in the forum to educate yourself, once you get an idea you will know what to look for.
In the meanwhile you can save some more, coz 50k might be too less to go for a AVR/Speakers combo.
30x25 is a large room, hence you need to plan your setup accordingly. To start with you can look at 5.1 for now.
Keep a look at the pre-owned stuffs in the For Sales section if you might be interested.
Thanks, l will look into the threads on forum.

Quick one, by 5.1 you mean get a amp for now or just a packaged HITB?

You can definitely do 5.0 in that budget, eg Yamaha rxv 481 receiver at 40k plus taga harmony Tav 506 5.0 speaker package at 20k. Subwoofer you can add later.

Else you can get a pair of good bookshelves for around 20k and build the rest slowly. Even with 2.0 you will get hugely improved sound.

If you are open to pre-owned, I have seen good receivers like pioneer vsx 831 and speakers like elac b6 being offered at great prices here in this forum.

Cheers

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

If u r planning to upgrade your system later u get an avr and a pair of good bookshelf speaker. U can add on rest of the speaker's later. Since ur living room is quite big this might me a good option.
If u r strict on budget u can get a monoprice premium 5 1 channel speaker and pair it with ponder vsx 531.
U can also go though the sale by owners thread if u r ok with pre used

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

HTiB is mostly not advised in this forum.
5.1 I meant you can go for AVR + Speakers. (You cannot achieve 5.1 with Amp, max is 2.1 or 2.0)
You can buy a AVR + front 2 bookshelf or tower speakers for now
Later add an center channel of the same brand as front. And then a Sub and surrounds.

Hi,

You need to break up your budget for different components of your Home Theatre, example:

AVR: 25 - 30 K
Speakers: 20-25K
Sub-woofer: You can skip it for now if you buy large fronts
Cables: 2K
Source: Assuming that you already have source, example: PC, Set-top-box, etc.

AVR: There are many AVRs available within 25-30K range, but they all are entry level AVRs. More or less, all entry level AVRs are same w.r.t. features, power, etc.
Speakers: Many options can be explored:
1) 5.0 Speaker package: Within 20-25K budget, Taga Speaker package is most value for money option. You get Front Towers in this package, which means that you can start without a sub-woofer initially and add it later as and when budget/requirement allows.
2) 5.1 Speaker package: You may find Sub-woofer + satellite (small cubes) speaker package, but not recommended.
3) 5.0 Custom build combination: Make separate Fronts + Center + Surrounds Speakers combination, Good option for experienced user, but may get out of budget.
Cables: Do not ignore importance of good speaker wires if you are spending 50K on your HT. You can get 30 - 50 meter reel for 1 - 2 K, example Amazon Basics speaker cable is good for budget systems.

One of the challenge with budget systems is that upgrade bug bites sooner than anyone thinks, so good option is to look for pre-owned components to get better components and good value for your money.

Excellent. Thanks!

I have looked at a few options on the thread for AVR and found these options for AVR & speakers (in my budget):

AVR: YAMAHA HTR 3067 / Pioneer VSX-330 / Pioneer VSX-531 / Pyle PT592A / Onkyo TX-SR373

Speaker sets: Taga 606 V3 / Denon SYS-2020 / Yamaha Ns-P40

Any combination runs from 45k to 60k which is my budget. Which is the best combination? Any others that I have missed which are in the same range? Preferably I want to build at least a 5 speaker set now. Thanks a lot guys for all your help, much appreciated !

Hi,

You need to break up your budget for different components of your Home Theatre, example:

AVR: 25 - 30 K
Speakers: 20-25K
Sub-woofer: You can skip it for now if you buy large fronts
Cables: 2K
Source: Assuming that you already have source, example: PC, Set-top-box, etc.

AVR: There are many AVRs available within 25-30K range, but they all are entry level AVRs. More or less, all entry level AVRs are same w.r.t. features, power, etc.
Speakers: Many options can be explored:
1) 5.0 Speaker package: Within 20-25K budget, Taga Speaker package is most value for money option. You get Front Towers in this package, which means that you can start without a sub-woofer initially and add it later as and when budget/requirement allows.
2) 5.1 Speaker package: You may find Sub-woofer + satellite (small cubes) speaker package, but not recommended.
3) 5.0 Custom build combination: Make separate Fronts + Center + Surrounds Speakers combination, Good option for experienced user, but may get out of budget.
Cables: Do not ignore importance of good speaker wires if you are spending 50K on your HT. You can get 30 - 50 meter reel for 1 - 2 K, example Amazon Basics speaker cable is good for budget systems.

One of the challenge with budget systems is that upgrade bug bites sooner than anyone thinks, so good option is to look for pre-owned components to get better components and good value for your money.
Thanks! Is the cabling same for a HITB for these? I have already done that cabling since it is concealed within false ceiling. Sorry for sounding bit dumb, out of my breadth here

Thanks! Is the cabling same for a HITB for these?
I have already done that cabling since it is concealed within false ceiling.
Sorry for sounding bit dumb, out of my breadth here

It really depends which cable have you used. If you have used cables having AWG 16 or 18 then it should be all good, don't get confused with 100% copper cables vs OFC cables, any should work.
Cables that usually come with HTiB are not that good to be used with large speakers.
Make sure to use good cables for Front & Center speakers at least.

I have looked at a few options on the thread for AVR and found these options for AVR & speakers (in my budget):
AVR: YAMAHA HTR 3067 / Pioneer VSX-330 / Pioneer VSX-531 / Pyle PT592A / Onkyo TX-SR373
These all are entry level AVRs and more or less its all same, there might be personal choices though.

Speaker sets: Taga 606 V3 / Denon SYS-2020 / Yamaha Ns-P40
Denon SYS-2020 & Yamaha Ns-P40 - Both are 5.1 speaker packages and normally come as HTiB combined with entry level AVRs.
So if you choose any AVR you mentioned above along with these speaker packages, then its not different than HTiB really.
My suggestion is to avoid these speaker packages, components used are compromised to maintain cost & profit balance.
The subwoofer supplied with these packages seems worthless to me.

Taga 606 V3 - It looks far better than others from your list, however it doesn't contain subwoofer. You can still go with it to start with, and add subwoofer later if required.

On side note - If you are happy to use pre-owned AVR then you can look at my AVR which is on sale, you can use it with Taga.
http://www.hifivision.com/sale-owner/65806-pioneer-vsx-830k.html

It really depends which cable have you used. If you have used cables having AWG 16 or 18 then it should be all good, don't get confused with 100% copper cables vs OFC cables, any should work.
Cables that usually come with HTiB are not that good to be used with large speakers.
Make sure to use good cables for Front & Center speakers at least.

These all are entry level AVRs and more or less its all same, there might be personal choices though.

Denon SYS-2020 & Yamaha Ns-P40 - Both are 5.1 speaker packages and normally come as HTiB combined with entry level AVRs.
So if you choose any AVR you mentioned above along with these speaker packages, then its not different than HTiB really.
My suggestion is to avoid these speaker packages, components used are compromised to maintain cost & profit balance.
The subwoofer supplied with these packages seems worthless to me.

Taga 606 V3 - It looks far better than others from your list, however it doesn't contain subwoofer. You can still go with it to start with, and add subwoofer later if required.

On side note - If you are happy to use pre-owned AVR then you can look at my AVR which is on sale, you can use it with Taga.
http://www.hifivision.com/sale-owner/65806-pioneer-vsx-830k.html
Thanks, I am trying to avoid getting used equipment since I have no idea how to gauge condition / value and technical support later on.

As recommended on this site, Pioneer 330 and Yamaha are entry level, albeit are Pioneer 531, Denon 520 BT also entry level? What would be your choice if it had to be amongst these?

For speakers I have will take either Taga 606 V3 or Taga 606 Special edition

Thanks, I am trying to avoid getting used equipment since I have no idea how to gauge condition / value and technical support later on.

As recommended on this site, Pioneer 330 and Yamaha are entry level, albeit are Pioneer 531, Denon 520 BT also entry level? What would be your choice if it had to be amongst these?

Any thoughts on this guys? Help is much appreciated

Yes, these are entry level AVRs or I should say AVR with basic needs. Basic issues (or considerations) with these AVRs are features, output power, lack of or compromised discrete amplification design, usage of cheap electronics and Input/output components like usage of spring type terminals (easily gets corrosion, cannot use speaker plugs) for speaker connection rather than screw type solid terminals, etc.
That's the reason I mentioned in initial post that try to avoid entry level equipment's (basically means low price beginning models) so that you can keep using these for many years to come without compromising anything.
There are manufacturers like Marantz who make even entry level equipment without compromising many of the things but the price for their entry level equipment is even more than mid level equipment of other brands.

Taga 606 V3 or Taga 606 Special edition - Both of these are good value for money speaker packages, add a sub-woofer later (even an entry level sub-woofer will do) and you won't regret any penny of yours being spent of these.

My take on pre-owned equipment
Once you will purchase your setup with hard earned money, you will learn and understand how we (those who love music/movies and so our equipment/setup) take care of our stuff. If you visit any forum member's place, I am sure you will find their equipment's condition as good as new in every aspect even after 3-4 years.
Sooner or later, we all look for upgrades because of one reason or another, and so we put our equipment on sale with reasonable price.
This gives others (specially beginners) a great opportunity to buy and own fully tested & working equipment on a very reasonable price. You get most value for your money.
But it depends on individuals preference really, some people feel skeptical while some just enjoy buying better equipment on a better price.

Hope it helps :)

Last edited:
Yes, these are entry level AVRs or I should say AVR with basic needs. Basic issues (or considerations) with these AVRs are features, output power, lack of or compromised discrete amplification design, usage of cheap electronics and Input/output components like usage of spring type terminals (easily gets corrosion, cannot use speaker plugs) for speaker connection rather than screw type solid terminals, etc.
That's the reason I mentioned in initial post that try to avoid entry level equipment's (basically means low price beginning models) so that you can keep using these for many years to come without compromising anything.
There are manufacturers like Marantz who make even entry level equipment without compromising many of the things but the price for their entry level equipment is even more than mid level equipment of other brands.

Taga 606 V3 or Taga 606 Special edition - Both of these are good value for money speaker packages, add a sub-woofer later (even an entry level sub-woofer will do) and you won't regret any penny of yours being spent of these.

My take on pre-owned equipment
Once you will purchase your setup with hard earned money, you will learn and understand how we (those who love music/movies and so our equipment/setup) take care of our stuff. If you visit any forum member's place, I am sure you will find their equipment's condition as good as new in every aspect even after 3-4 years.
Sooner or later, we all look for upgrades because of one reason or another, and so we put our equipment on sale with reasonable price.
This gives others (specially beginners) a great opportunity to buy and own fully tested & working equipment on a very reasonable price. You get most value for your money.
But it depends on individuals preference really, some people feel skeptical while some just enjoy buying better equipment on a better price.

Hope it helps :)
Thanks, As for used equipment, I understand that it would be in very nice condition but I am not very comfortable buying it without knowing much about them.

Anyway, I bought Pioneer 531 with Taga 603. Using it since a week and couldn't be happier. Sounds and looks great, plus in my budget of 50k. Have ordered Taga Harmony TSW-200 already!

Thanks, As for used equipment, I understand that it would be in very nice condition but I am not very comfortable buying it without knowing much about them.

Anyway, I bought Pioneer 531 with Taga 603. Using it since a week and couldn't be happier. Sounds and looks great, plus in my budget of 50k. Have ordered Taga Harmony TSW-200 already!

Congrats for your setup.... Enjoy.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back