Horible experience with A2V Delhi

thanks panditji! I assume all electronics from dubai is duty free means no custom/ tax on getting them to India?

regards

Dear Anm

Yes,we obviously can't get floorstanders from abroad in our luggage, but CDPs, Amps and even bookshelf speakers can be gotten easily while coming from a trip abroad if you are travelling light. I myself have got bookshelf speakers twice and have friends who have no idea about hifi equipment to get me once a CDP and another time a Denon AVR........
So it's not that difficult...

Goods upto Rs 25,000 are duty free but you can always go through the green channel if you are confident....I have always been through the green channel although none of my hifi purchases have been over 26000.....
But even if you do declare you can easily bribe the chap at the gate :D

But even if you do declare you can easily bribe the chap at the gate :D

Panditji, that is not a good advise man. :) Hamara Desh Ka Kya hoga, agar hum sab aisehi sochne lage? :):)

Anm, over and above what Pandit has said, a lot of this is dependent upon how you interact at the customs. In Chennai, I have always walked straight to the Red Channel and declared my item. I have never been charged more than Rs.2000 till now. Many of the dealers in Singapore and Dubai, will give you duplicate bill that shows half the price of what you paid for, and some of this will also be backdated by six months to a year. You just have to tell the customs guy you picked it from a friend or a relation.

Your body language is also very important. Be confident and sound as if you know what you are talking about. Customs, at least in Chennai, are not very worried about electronic items nowadays. So if you sound confident and friendly, they will lose interest quickly. They may charge you a token amount and let you go.

Of course if you know somebody in customs, it is best to make arrangements before you arrive.

In this forum there are many people who purchase on Ebay and order online. It comes through post or a courier company. Importing into India nowadays is relatively simple compared to a few years ago.

Cheers

I am unclear on the duty part - someone on this forum said 16% while B&H guys told me it is 35%. Whom to believe?
Only issue with ordering directly from outside is what would you do if item is dead on arrival or badly damaged?
I won't be able to travel for some time as my passport has expired, have no work outside India, and don't have a budget either.
Would anyone here suggest importing speakers through ebay/ amazon/ b&h?

regards

Panditji, that is not a good advise man. :)
In this forum there are many people who purchase on Ebay and order online. It comes through post or a courier company. Importing into India nowadays is relatively simple compared to a few years ago.

Cheers

Agree with you completely Venkat on how to deal with the custom guys.
Anm, I would suggest to wait for a trip abroad and then get stuff yourself although importing in India is relatively simple as Venkat mentioned.
The duty on electronic items is about 35% as per the latest import-export policy and if you choose companies like DHL, UPS and FEDEX they will pay the applicable custom duty and deliver the parcel at your doorstep.
However if you go through this route you might just end up paying the same amount as the Indian dealer's selling price as the shipping costs are too high.
Buying from abroad only makes sense if the you personally get it or request somebody else to get it directly.
eg: Maggies 1.6 cost 1800 USD in the US i.e. Rs 1800 x 46 (even 50 with the current financial mess) = Rs 82,800.....Add atleast Rs 20,000 for shipping and approx 35% duty amounting to 29000 . Total cost comes to Rs 131000 = A2V's MRP in India.....
Oops this calculation makes me think A2V is not too bad pricing wise...I take my words back in my previous post..:rolleyes:

Hi,
I see a lot of good deals on used AV components on Ebay. It makes a lot of sense to buy there as anyways Indian dealers have outdated stock and prices that are double/ triple of the item when it was launched.

If I buy such items and get them delivered in India - how much would I need to pay for the customs? I have created a new thread for this discussion.

http://www.hifivision.com/dealer-feedback-review/1879-horible-experience-a2v-delhi-new-post

thanks
Anant

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back