How about Onkyo & ELAC

hi sriramksharma,

Did you get your Onkyo 875?
We are eager to know your experience on both the audio as well as video front.

Thanks,
Sharad

Hi-end Onkyo AVR is good for HT. onthing they say 250 watts but I didn?t felt it has that much power output. Surely its feature rich amp. For HDMI up scaling / up conversion features are good if you use for a TV source. Good 1080p quality you get with DVD players with up scaling than the AVRs. Elac or onkyo speakers are not that grate thats where Onkyo lacks they should produce better speakers with the AVRs. Many of the Onkyo showrooms/dealers have old stock of B&W speakers, stock of more than 4 years. Try a good nego with them and get those will be nice. One more i need to tell there is better performing AVR for the price of onkyo 875.

-Sk

Thanks SK.
So does the receiver scale video better than the DVD player, or not? BTW, which DVD player are you using?

How does the stereo mode compare to an integrated stereo amplifier?
I would stick to the Monitor Audio RS series speakers. So Onkyo/Elac speaker quality is not a concern for me. I need a new receiver, but I am wondering if I should wait for a few more months for Onkyo and Denon to fix the teething problems in their first HD receivers. Did you find any specific issues such as bugs or bad menus?

regards,
Sharad

Hi Sharad,
its matter of convenience how do you want use HD TV. are you going to use AVR for up scaling the whole time when watch TV then go for a AVR with HD up conversion. Again this HD tech war just in the baby stage still full-HD is not 1080p same time 1080p is more than the picture quality we love to hv. If you not keen to have HD for your TV shows, GO for HD player which play both blue-ray and HD DVD. Now these player will upscale DVD to HD DVD also in a better way because it is source conversion and that?s what my friends in US experiencing. Also it play hi-bandwidth DVD audio, SACD etc...

Instead of 80 or 90k for onkyo check out Arcam AVR with true Audiophile sound quality for movies and music. Arcam AVR 350 is 100 w x7 you can keep a 200 watts speaker it will drive perfectly. ( I am very sure Onkyo AVR can?t do this in power and sound quality) My friend?s Aracm 40 watts amp drives B&W 603 amazingly!!!. So just have an experience with arcam and come to a decision.

-Sk

....Instead of 80 or 90k for onkyo check out Arcam AVR with true Audiophile sound quality for movies and music. Arcam AVR 350 is 100 w x7 you can keep a 200 watts speaker it will drive perfectly....

Totally agree here. If it is musicality you are after Sharad, I suggest you should audition Arcam for sure, followed by Marantz and CA.

If you have to nitpick, then Arcam AVR350 does not support audio over HDMI, the AVR350's HDMI inputs offers video switching only; that also v1.1

Home Theater & Sound Equipment Review -- Arcam DiVA AVR350 Audio/Video Receiver (9/2006)

In case you are after a feature rich future proof product, looking at the likes of Denon or Onkyo will be certainly benefited.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back