How can Slumdog millionaire be given Oscar.

manishk3008

I love Rahman, but sometimes I wonder how can slumdog millionaire win Oscar for original soundtrack. I mean this guy has Bombay, Taal, Roja up his sleeve. Slumdog nowhere stands in front of his otherwise creations. What other members thinks, or am I missing something.

I love Rahman, but sometimes I wonder how can slumdog millionaire win Oscar for original soundtrack. I mean this guy has Bombay, Taal, Roja up his sleeve. Slumdog nowhere stands in front of his otherwise creations. What other members thinks, or am I missing something.
oscar is overrated. It is like our filmfare awards at a grander scale with higher dramatics

:) jai ho is not even composed by Rahman, if you understand telugu watch this
basically its sukavinder composition

Same goes with keeravani, there is great body of work by him, but for an average song of his he was given oscar :), same goes with scorsese

One of my all time time soundtrack is american beauty, thomas newman so far nominated for 15 times, i guess they will give him eventually for one of his mediocre works when all creative spark is gone

My guess is by the time the greatness of an international (i.e from outside of Hollywood) artist/composer/director gets recognised globally, they are past their prime. And then some latest collaborative work of theirs with the west gets an Oscar/Grammy.

As against these awards, the film festivals from Europe - like Cannes, Berlin, or Karlovy Vary are far more proactive in seeking out and showcasing new international talent.

I love Rahman, but sometimes I wonder how can slumdog millionaire win Oscar for original soundtrack. I mean this guy has Bombay, Taal, Roja up his sleeve. Slumdog nowhere stands in front of his otherwise creations.
A OST award is not awarded to an artiste by comparing a current body of work with their past work. It is awarded by comparing their current body of work with other contemporaries present work.
Also, his previous OST were not in the running for the Oscar's ever, were they?
What other members thinks, or am I missing something.
The fact that the current body of work does not match up to their past work is immaterial - this is what you missed.

It is the taste of the current average general educated american public who probably don't even know where Delhi is. Not very different from us BTW.
Actually, no! The general public has no say directly. But like in every sphere of life around us, there is massive campaigning and lobbying for the awards.
Although there is a "Fan Favorite" category that all and sundry can vote for but that's not considered an Oscar at all. :)

Actually, no! The general public has no say directly. But like in every sphere of life around us, there is massive campaigning and lobbying for the awards.
Although there is a "Fan Favorite" category that all and sundry can vote for but that's not considered an Oscar at all. :)

I thought the civil nuclear deal was the only outcome of our lobbying in 2008. Well done Mr. Manmohan Singh :p

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back