How do I connect my new M-Audio BX5 D2 to my PC

juventino

Hi,

I just bought the M-Audio BX5 D2 speakers/monitors and the ASUS Xonar Essence STX sound card. The speakers only have XLR and 6.3 mm connections. My sound card has RCA connection and SPDIF out. Now I know I need a RCA male to 6.3 mm male cable. But the cable I am getting is RCA male to 6.3 mm mono male. Shouldn't it be stereo? Would I get better sound quality if I used to SPDIF to XLR/TRS?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Ciao!

Why not RCA to XLR cable I am using the same . About your query it should be RC at Inch MONO cable as each speaker is powered.
Also how you will convert SPDIF to Speaker input , you require a DAC in Between and Xonar is reasonabaly good DAC on board so best is to use RCA to XLR cable , which is easily available , or RCA to Inch MONO cable.

congrats on M audio purchase. What was the reason to buy this specic version? BTW I have MX 8 a , 8 inch version..

Why not RCA to XLR cable I am using the same . About your query it should be RC at Inch MONO cable as each speaker is powered.
Also how you will convert SPDIF to Speaker input , you require a DAC in Between and Xonar is reasonabaly good DAC on board so best is to use RCA to XLR cable , which is easily available , or RCA to Inch MONO cable.

congrats on M audio purchase. What was the reason to buy this specic version? BTW I have MX 8 a , 8 inch version..

Won't I get mono audio instead of stereo audio?

I bought these speakers as they are highly rated, reasonably priced and come with warranty where I live.

Won't I get mono audio instead of stereo audio?

I bought these speakers as they are highly rated, reasonably priced and come with warranty where I live.

No man - every speaker is independent - ie every powered speakers have one amplifier unit ( or 2 units) - so every spear act as MONO Pre POWER SPEAKER unit - which requires appropriate MONO input for each channel . Your XONAR will provide the input through RCA out
Please check the manual..
FM any further help..

Why not RCA to XLR cable I am using the same
a13.jpg
k2.jpg

I THINK WE BOTH WERE PARTIALLY WRONG/ PARTIALLY RIGHT !!!
The connector is inches (6.3 mm) TRS connector In headphones it has 3 segments it is stereo and 2 segments it is mono..

HERE it is used to take only one mono channel BUT you can use 3 segment ( acc to you stereo) plug to TRANSMIT BALANCED SOUND . ( Google about balanced sound)

NOW CHKED BX5s manual ( not D2 older version) it says it can take BALAENCED & UNBALANCED TRS connectors.

Now as your xonar gives UNBALANCED output MONO connector should do . Again check the manual. You should get RCA to Stereo TRS where 1 segment is NOT used

BEST is to use RCA to XLR cable , that is what I am doing..

Ideally, your chain should be:

balanced analog left and right output of sound card --> balanced analog input of L and R speakers

Does your sound card have XLR balanced connectors? Or at least a breakout cable with XLR connectors at one end?

And what is your speaker's inputs - XLR or TRS?

Making a RCA to balanced cable is not the best way of wiring it up, as you will not be able to take advantage of the balanced circuitry of the speakers.

My speakers inputs are XLR and TRS.

My soundcards output is RCA unbalanced. Unless I get a converter for unbalanced to balanced I don't see the point of RCA to XLR.

I checked youtube and couple of reviews of the BX5 D2s and in all the cases the connection used was RCA to 6.3 mm mono. So I think I am gonna use that.

My speakers inputs are XLR and TRS.

My soundcards output is RCA unbalanced. Unless I get a converter for unbalanced to balanced I don't see the point of RCA to XLR.

I checked youtube and couple of reviews of the BX5 D2s and in all the cases the connection used was RCA to 6.3 mm mono. So I think I am gonna use that.

I just checked the specs of your sound card - I guess you will have to stick to unbalanced as the card doesn't seem to have a means to output balanced analog audio.

Hi Guys,

I have also bought a pair of M-Audio BX5 D2 pair based on the nice reviews I read over the internet.

Now, having read this thread, it is pretty clear that I would be buying RCA to TRS 6.3 mm mono cable to connect to my sound card (which is Maya44 USB and has RCA output 4 channels).

Now, what I need to know is would I have to buy 2 RCA to TRS 6.3 mm cables (1 from soundcard RCA output channel 1 and 2 to left BX5 and the other cable from soundcard RCA output channel 3 and 4 to right BX5 monitor)?

It would be great if anybody can answer this today and I will order them...

Cheers!

Back