How effectively we are using our home theater

Nchavva

Hi All,

We are spending lot of money on HT. I have Atmos setup now projector on the way.I watch 1 or 2 movies a week. How effectively you people using your HT.
please share here

Since my Marantz will auto switch on when I click up the TV , i use it everyday.. almost for 1.5-2 hrs. around 7-8hrs on weekends.

Best way to keep HT utilized

Hi All,

We are spending lot of money on HT. I have Atmos setup now projector on the way.I watch 1 or 2 movies a week. How effectively you people using your HT.
please share here

In my opinion depends on what you watch using HT, daily set top box content or only serious shows / movies. If its later then with time unless your unseen movie list of your liking keeps on growing the time spent may reduce over time. May be subscribing to streaming content and experimenting with new kind of movies may still keep the ringing but that is just me. When you have PJ, definitely you have to conserve its lumination life so as to not exhaust in regular TV watching by making the room dark

Most of us have expensive AV equipment even though we use over the weekend. To me, I watch the movies over the weekend but always like to get the best visual and audio experience.

So even my frequency of watching is limited to only the weekends, I don't mind spending money on buying the best equipment. IMO, it is still OK to invest on AV equipment irrespective of its usage frequency. End of it, you should enjoy what you do!

Last edited:
TV only - about 3-6 hours per day (combined usage across family)
3.1 TV/Movies - about 5-15 hours per week (combined usage across family)
2.0 Music - about 3-4 hours per day (combined usage across family)

Cheers,
Raghu

My HT usage is as below. I watch movies over the weekend and occasionally on weekdays, sports when it comes live and whenever I feel the music I am listening to is something worth beyond the bluetooth speakers

Hi All,

please share here
Lemme guess - Amazon prime has just one Atmos title so far and the Shield doesn't support atmos on Netflix - Could be the reason ?

Usually I listened music daily one hour or more either on CD or Streaming. Blu Ray Movie may be once in week. No sports or TV serials on HT set-up. Rarely Netflix or Amazon prime on HT set-up. Major utilisation is on music contents only.

5.2.2 Dolby Vision + Atmos on Apple TV here
- 1-2hrs of gaming or YouTube in the mornings
- 2-3hrs of streaming on Netflix or iTunes or Amazon or Hotstar
- this depends if we're binging any show. Then it can increase.

Of course, we travel a lot and don't really have a concept of weekends and weekdays. So in a month, this is true for perhaps 12-15 days.

All of this is connected using a Logitech Harmony Hub and remote, so the home theater is used for every viewing!

How good is apple TV 4K compared to Shield ?

Apple TV - wins the streaming game. Atmos and Dolby Vision in Netflix and iTunes movies. Much cleaner interface, and great Apple music too.

Shield - wins the local storage game. Can play Atmos and uncompressed content effortlessly through both LAN or a hard drive connected to it. But Google play movies is far inferior to iTunes. And Netflix is only 5.1/HDR not Atmos/Vision.

I use the Shield for YouTube, all my local 4K rips, and to show off my system to play atmos demos.

How effectively you people using your HT.

I bought my projector to pair with my audio system about a year and 8 months back. Calculations indicate that my projector is turned on an average of 2.4 hours/day.

Music usage has gone up significantly after the purchase of the Anthem AVM 60 (which has an in-built FM tuner) and the addition of room treatments. 3-4 hours/day. Easily.

So, yeah, we use our system. A lot!

Apple TV - wins the streaming game. Atmos and Dolby Vision in Netflix and iTunes movies. Much cleaner interface, and great Apple music too.

Shield - wins the local storage game. Can play Atmos and uncompressed content effortlessly through both LAN or a hard drive connected to it. But Google play movies is far inferior to iTunes. And Netflix is only 5.1/HDR not Atmos/Vision.

I use the Shield for YouTube, all my local 4K rips, and to show off my system to play atmos demos.
Thanks. i was using Shield then switched to Xbox One X for atmos support on Netflix. Since my priority is streaming & now the Apple TV 4K has atmos suport for Netflix, seriously thinking about it.

Thanks. i was using Shield then switched to Xbox One X for atmos support on Netflix. Since my priority is streaming & now the Apple TV 4K has atmos suport for Netflix, seriously thinking about it.

I was doing exactly that! But the Apple TV just gave a more seamless interface along with a lot more Vision + Atmos content on iTunes. Now I have an X700 Player for blurays in place of the xbox.

Hey Guys,

I'm just about to go with the nvidia shield, I was in impression based on some review that shield supports netflix with atmos. Can you guys confirm that shield doesnt support atmos on Netflix? in that case, I may choose Apple TV 4k instead of shield. Thank you.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back