How many of you agree with spending money on a good quality DAC

Hi,

Is a DAC with user select-able digital filters any good? Some reviews say one can change the filters that suits your need. I found the user select-able digital filters in Audiolab M-DAC and Rega DAC.

-John.

Hey Thank you very much for the details.

May I know why you picked Audiolab M DAC over W4S DAC1/DAC2...

As mentioned in my post, the main reason I would choose the M-DAC over the W4S is the pedigree of the designer and it doesn't hurt that it is a lot cheaper than the W4S. I'd attribute the difference in the price to the fact that the W4S is made in the US, nothing else. Just to clarify my actual choice, I'd go with the DIY option any day over either of the choices, but that's just me...

And the pedigree of W4S designers is nothing lesser - probably several times more experienced in the practical sense from the Audiolab guys .. ;)

Hi,

I have been following up with Oppo digital regarding the launch of their new BDP, Oppo-105. This BDP also uses dedicated ESS Sabre 9018 for stereo and another ESS 9018 for 7.1 analog out. Oppo-105 supports external digital inputs as well. This enables the Oppo-105 to be used as a DAC. Oppo-105 will be priced at $1200 and will be available by end of this year.

New features anticipated in Oppo-105

• Fanless (unlike the BDP-95)
  • Headphone Amplifier
  • Asynchronous USB DAC (24-bit/192KHz)
  • Optical, Digital Coaxial Input (24-bit/192KHz
  • Properly oriented XLR outputs
  • 2 HDMI digital inputs

What do you guys think? I have read rave reviews on Oppo-95 for its 2 channel stereo performance. Do you guys think the ESS Sabre 9018 based DACs under discussion surpass the quality of Oppo-105?

This will workout to be the cheapest option for me as I can sell of my unopened and unused Oppo-93 I got last month and get a new Oppo-105 ;).

Thanks,
John.

W4S's execution using ES9018 is extremely good & have no doubts it will thrash Oppo outright. Plus the W4S analog side is very well done without opamps, rather a complete discrete symmetrically balanced layout all the way from digital dacs to analog outputs. The single ended RCAs are just derived from the balanced's in-phase legs.

It now all depends how good is your transport & what interconnection you adopt. Principally, I would go AES/EBU as 1st choice and then Coax RCA.

Last edited:
A small brief on the W4S guys

EJ was working for Cullen Circuits (owned by Rick Cullen) in the early '90s. Cullen Ckts were high level upgraders & modders for many dacs; i.e. PS Audio, Theta, Wadia, Esoteric, etc. and over the years these guys at Cullen Ckts acquired state of the art technologies that they derived some of it on their own (in the practical sense).

In the last few years, Cullen Ckts wound up and became W4S. Now, with 2 decades of work behind them, they are kinda genius in it. Yes, budget constraints still keeps them at bay to build THaT KILLER dac but for $1.5k the Dac-2 is a splendid achievement from them.

Now its your call from here. If you wanna get on to the european bandwagon, it will cost you a helluva lot more. They are much more expensive.

best part with W4S guys is that they'll support you all the way with small upgrades as they come in hence its quite a future-proof dac in this ever-changing fast digital age.

Coming down to personal preferences on sound & its presentation aspects, I dont like the ES Sabre's presentation. I am more into Burr Brown's laid back presentation. Its also softer to the ears than the sabre. Mind you, NOT at the cost of resolution, no way! The Antelope Audio Zodiac dacs are on the Burr-Brown camp while W4S is on the ES-Sabre camp.

hope this brief helps.

Last edited:
W4S's execution using ES9018 is extremely good & have no doubts it will thrash Oppo outright. Plus the W4S analog side is very well done without opamps, rather a complete discrete symmetrically balanced layout all the way from digital dacs to analog outputs. The single ended RCAs are just derived from the balanced's in-phase legs.

It now all depends how good is your transport & what interconnection you adopt. Principally, I would go AES/EBU as 1st choice and then Coax RCA.

My transport will be Oppo-93 for now.

From your posts I think you are looking for a laid back presentation of sound. I would recommend Metrum Octave NOS dac w/ separate power supply which has a neutral but slightly laid back presentation with very good resolution (from the expert reviews and comparisons online)

Hey Sajith,

You got it right man. I am looking for a warm and laid back sound. Other reason is I like to listen my music in a slightly louder volume and laid back sound will allow me to do that for long listening hours. I also prefer vinyl sound over CD. So I am trying to get the CD sound more closer to vinyl sound.

-John.

have heard the metrum about a year back if I recall and though it was nice, there was nothing spectacular abt this dac. the oversampling ones are still preferable.

also the metrum wasn't able to dig deep into the inner part/s of the music esp. when it got complex.

Am using Taiwanese Mhdt Laboratory's "Paradisea" NOS tube dac. Organic sound!! Blissfull listening. Connected an old rotel cd player as a transport. Simply the best.

I would like to put my ultracheap Purepiper A1 DAC (200 $) in the comparison if the DAC meet is happening.

Hi All,

I really appreciate all the valuable inputs on this topic. After reading through the replies and online research, I feel like for the price range of around $1000, a DAC based on ESS Sabre 9018 - Reference 32 bit DAC chip is preferred. So I am shortlisting the following setups

1. Oppo-93 + W4S DAC1 with upgraded caps.
2. Oppo-93 + Audiolab M-DAC.
3. Oppo-105 (I will have to wait for its reviews. If it perform in the same grade as Oppo-95, I will definitely consider this).

Option 3 is the cheapest for me. One other advantage of choosing Oppo-105 is that the DAC is built in and thus the signal path is reduced compared to option 1 & 2. Also Oppo-105 has 2 HDMI inputs. This is a great advantage for me as I can connect my HD media player directly to Oppo-105 and leverage the superior video and audio components of Oppo-105.

I will making a decision to buy after I read about Oppo-105 that is going to be released by end of this year.

Thanks again for all the valuable inputs.

Thanks,
John.

Hi All,

I really appreciate all the valuable inputs on this topic. After reading through the replies and online research, I feel like for the price range of around $1000, a DAC based on ESS Sabre 9018 - Reference 32 bit DAC chip is preferred. So I am shortlisting the following setups

1. Oppo-93 + W4S DAC1 with upgraded caps.
2. Oppo-93 + Audiolab M-DAC.
3. Oppo-105 (I will have to wait for its reviews. If it perform in the same grade as Oppo-95, I will definitely consider this).

Option 3 is the cheapest for me. One other advantage of choosing Oppo-105 is that the DAC is built in and thus the signal path is reduced compared to option 1 & 2. Also Oppo-105 has 2 HDMI inputs. This is a great advantage for me as I can connect my HD media player directly to Oppo-105 and leverage the superior video and audio components of Oppo-105.

I will making a decision to buy after I read about Oppo-105 that is going to be released by end of this year.

Thanks again for all the valuable inputs.

Thanks,
John.

Oppo would be a decent CDP + DAC but if its audio nirvana you seek then W4S should be in your sights. No way is Oppo in the same league as the W4S. If you really want the features of Oppo then I'd vote for a PS3. Its got a decent DAC, is a Blu-ray player and also the occasional gaming rig with inbuilt storage and also handles external HDDs.

just went thru this long thread.. any experience / users with Maverick Audio D2 DAC ? Its priced about $289.

Am looking for a solution under $500 mark.

sorry - if this appears to be OT but since i was looking for a DAC i thought i could post here.

mpw

Captn.. Will keep this week end in your house or any date when your family is away;)

Somehow missed this post. Srini, no problem with family. Only issue is, the Pass B1 and the Class D are lying around as circuit boards and trafos etc. Mathew Syriac is yet to squeeze out some time for helping me to put those things in their respective cabinets. So you need to also carry your amps along with the DAC for the the DAC meet.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back