How many of you agree with spending money on a good quality DAC

john_k_antony

Hi,

I know this topic has been discussed a lot, still would like to get a fresh opinion from you guys :).

What do you guys think about spending $500-1000 for a DAC. I have the Oppo-93 BDP and wanted to use that as my CDP and media player (for FLACs from my HDD). Now the DAC in the Oppo-93 is just mediocre. I thought a lot between Oppo-95 and Oppo-93 before buying Oppo-93. I thought with Oppo-93, I can add a DAC to improve the stereo performance.

EOD, I wanted a good sounding stereo setup with tube pre/power amps and high sensitivity widerange speakers. Do you think I need to invest money on the DAC? I will also connect my computer (via USB) sometime to play some digital media through my stereo setup.

The main issue is that I cannot audition the DACs I am considering in India. I will have to buy them based on reviews and user comments, which I know is the biggest mistake, but have no choice. I have shortlisted the following

1. Benchmark DAC1 USB.
2. Peachtree iDac.

Or do you guys think I should just get a dedicated CDP for the same price of a good DAC. The advantage with having a good DAC is that I can play computer audio through USB interface.

Thanks,
John.

What were the other options you considered before going in for Wyred4Sound. Where did you buy it?

I just checked the specs and on the paper DAC2 look just AMAZING. I hope they sound equally good too :).

Thanks,
John.

Last edited:
i was looking at the very same DACs... then I also considered a korean DAC called Calyx... but there was no way to audition it here...

The benchmark I have heard at various places, and have heard the Peachtree too... good dacs... the W4S Dac2 is a lot better and a lot more versatile...

it truly punches way above its price point.

Thanks Malavi.

Did you try comparing W4S DAC1 vs DAC2 ? Except from the support for high res USB input (24/192) any significant improvements over DAC1? The specs say both use ESS Sabre Reference 32bit DAC chip. This is the same chip in Oppo 95 as well.

BTW, where did u audition W4S in India ?

Thanks,
John.

I would highly recommend the use of a good DAC. Expensive? Well that depends... not many can afford to spend on a dCS Scarlatti DAC.

For my money its the W4S DAC2. It is certainly the reference DAC for me. Its got amazing detail and soundstage and also makes the music more dynamic and alive. I have read a few reviews that lead me to believe the Benchmark DAC1 is better than the Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 but I've not had the opportunity to audition it yet (hopefully my next trip abroad).

At the budget level its definitely the M1DAC. Its a lot better than the CA DacMagic and also the VDAC.

Finally, the Asus Xonar Essence STX is an excellent DAC (for its price). I would highly recommend it over anything under 20-30K.

John, a DAC is a good idea. However, most don't have a great USB input. The W4S has a pretty well implemented one but still supposed to benefit from a good external USB-Spdif converter.

An alternate you may want to consider is a CDP with a digital input. The Audiolab players are supposed to be good.

I am comparing W4S DAC1 vs Benchmark DAC1 now (online reviews). I don't think I need to get W4S DAC2 as I wont be playing lots of very high res files from computer. My primary source is going to be Oppo-93. I have sent an email to W4S asking about the sonic performance when connected to a Coax/Optical source.

-John.

John, a DAC is a good idea. However, most don't have a great USB input. The W4S has a pretty well implemented one but still supposed to benefit from a good external USB-Spdif converter.

An alternate you may want to consider is a CDP with a digital input. The Audiolab players are supposed to be good.

I am inclining towards a DAC + Oppo 93 so that since Oppo 93 is a universal player, I can use that to play some good music DVD/BDs and enjoy them through my dedicated stereo setup.

-John.

i have a multi-format marantz player connected to the W4S via a co-axial cable. the sonics are superb!

i also use my dell laptop for hi-rez files via USB and that too is superb.

i love the w4s dac 2 to bits!

or, at least, this is the most that I have ever liked a digital set-up!

Thanks Venu,

AP DAC is also in my audition list. But seems like its in the Rs. 1L range. I was looking for DACs in the $1000 (50-60K INR) range.

-John.

Should you get a DAC? Depends on whether you need one or not.

Should you get a good DAC? If you are going to buy a DAC, buy a good one: it is the point where data becomes sound. You might think of it like a turntable cartride, and you know how TT people think of those!

Should you spend money to get a good DAC? Ahhh...

Hi,

You can consider the AP DAC too.

Venu

Thanks Venu,

AP DAC is also in my audition list. But seems like its in the Rs. 1L range. I was looking for DACs in the $1000 (50-60K INR) range.

-John.

You should hear the entry level DAC of AP which Captain is having / With tube rolling done with Rajiv stock tubes it has gone to the high end with lower cost.:cool:

Very seriously thinking of having an DAC meet along with my Bryston DAC .

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back