How much difference would different length cables make?

chander

This is a questions for curiosity only.

If I have a 10 AWG cable and I run two lengths of 10 Ft and 6 FT to my stereo speakers, will the difference be noticeable? I understand it is always advised to keep the lengths similar and they should never be too short either, but if we are looking at a 4ft difference will it really matter?

Thanks!

Such a thick cable and for such a short distance (and the difference in them), it wouldn’t.
I have had such a scenario earlier, and I didn’t perceive any difference.

Thanks! This is a what if situation - just out of curiosity that at what point does it start having a real apparent change. I have been reading up a lot and like everything else there are a lot of 'opinions' but only article I found which was based on measurement was with 50FT + cables only and from what I understood was that for shorted than 15 ft shouldn't matter as the difference is around 300 Nano Seconds only on cables of 12 AWG (can't find the article again, I have been looking). So I was wondering what happens below 15ft - regardless of the AWG. I haven't found a definitive answer yet.

Thanks! This is a what if situation - just out of curiosity that at what point does it start having a real apparent change. I have been reading up a lot and like everything else there are a lot of 'opinions' but only article I found which was based on measurement was with 50FT + cables only and from what I understood was that for shorted than 15 ft shouldn't matter as the difference is around 300 Nano Seconds only on cables of 12 AWG (can't find the article again, I have been looking). So I was wondering what happens below 15ft - regardless of the AWG. I haven't found a definitive answer yet.

I have tried this quiet some time back , did not notice anything untoward due to this.

regardless of the AWG
Too thin a wire below 15ft should still matter. Larger cables have lesser resistance (the two share an inverse relationship). You will have, at least on paper, less power reaching your speakers in such a case. I think that change should become perceivable (haven’t tried though).

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back