• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

How much power does an AVR / HT actually consume

Mogami Cables

Amarendra

Hi,

After receiving inflated power bills I set out measuring the amount of power which was being consumed by the usual culprits- TV, fridge, AC, PC, water heater and of course the home theater. I used a smart plug from sonoff which sends me information On my phone via WiFi. The results were as follows:

TV approx 50 - 75 watts depending on content. Since my tv is a 55 inch OLED consumption could be higher

Fridge: approx 140- 200 watts when compressor is on, almost nil otherwise

PC- single monitor 50 watts, dual monitor 75 watts. Heavy gaming on one monitor LG ultra wide: 200 w!!

AC- 3 star 1 tonne Daikin 800 watts with compressor on

and finally the HT....

AVR Denon 2500 H (2019) Wharfedale Diamond 220 center, L and R+ Diamond 210 surrounds and 2 ceiling speakers for Atmos. Connected sub- Emotiva 10 inch subwoofer and media player Nvidia Shield. Barring the projector, everything else was connected to the smart plug (including sub). I played the initial scene from inception when the dream starts going wrong and the action begins. I played the scene pretty loud (didnt measure but my daughter was covering her ears). Room size was13 feet x 10 feet with ceiling height of about 8 feet after false ceiling. Guess what the nvidia plus sub plus AVR powering 7 speakers held steady at 60 - 65 wattts and after really dialling the volume higher I could push the consumption to a maxxx 73 watts !

My question to audio experts- are we fooling ourselves by adding extra power amplifiers to AVRs assuming that AVRs don’t have head room ? I am sure an AVR is capable of much more. I had also initially connected 2 amplifiers to my AVR assuming that I was making headroom available. But now I guess the so called improvement in sound from the additional amplifiers was just the sound coloration which the new amps were adding to the chain !
Any views on the above would be welcome.

ISO

My question to audio experts- are we fooling ourselves by adding extra power amplifiers to AVRs assuming that AVRs don’t have head room ? I am sure an AVR is capable of much more.
1. Ext. amp is not connected for extra loud volume but for the sophistication. Two channel amplifier is heavy and bigger than 5. 7 or 11 channel AVR, so there must be some compromise.

2. Some 4 ohm speaker is difficult load for AVR. Ext. Power amp can better deal with that.

3. Some AVR need ext power amp for extra channel amplification esp. for Atmos.

superczar

Hi,

After receiving inflated power bills I set out measuring the amount of power which was being consumed by the usual culprits- TV, fridge, AC, PC, water heater and of course the home theater. I used a smart plug from sonoff which sends me information On my phone via WiFi. The results were as follows:

TV approx 50 - 75 watts depending on content. Since my tv is a 55 inch OLED consumption could be higher

Fridge: approx 140- 200 watts when compressor is on, almost nil otherwise

PC- single monitor 50 watts, dual monitor 75 watts. Heavy gaming on one monitor LG ultra wide: 200 w!!

AC- 3 star 1 tonne Daikin 800 watts with compressor on

and finally the HT....

AVR Denon 2500 H (2019) Wharfedale Diamond 220 center, L and R+ Diamond 210 surrounds and 2 ceiling speakers for Atmos. Connected sub- Emotiva 10 inch subwoofer and media player Nvidia Shield. Barring the projector, everything else was connected to the smart plug (including sub). I played the initial scene from inception when the dream starts going wrong and the action begins. I played the scene pretty loud (didnt measure but my daughter was covering her ears). Room size was13 feet x 10 feet with ceiling height of about 8 feet after false ceiling. Guess what the nvidia plus sub plus AVR powering 7 speakers held steady at 60 - 65 wattts and after really dialling the volume higher I could push the consumption to a maxxx 73 watts !

My question to audio experts- are we fooling ourselves by adding extra power amplifiers to AVRs assuming that AVRs don’t have head room ? I am sure an AVR is capable of much more. I had also initially connected 2 amplifiers to my AVR assuming that I was making headroom available. But now I guess the so called improvement in sound from the additional amplifiers was just the sound coloration which the new amps were adding to the chain !
Any views on the above would be welcome.
The truth is somewhere in between.
I actually log power usage so i can corroborate your observation that most but the most basic AVRs are not truly taxed on the power /headroom front at moderate to somewhat high volume levels .
The available headroom is even better during stereo playback as only 2 speakers are being driven.

However, good quality Integrated amps do offer certain advantages, the most important one IMO being the much higher channel separation which could be better by upto 20-25db
In a AVR , you will have much greater degree of cross-talk between channels , so let’s say if you were feeding an AVR only 1 channel and play it at 78db. If you hold your ears close to the non driven channel, you will hear a faint playback
That won’t be the case with an Inetgrated (esp those with dual monoblocks) as the separation will typically be 90db or higher.

Would that make a noticeable difference with both channels driven? I don’t know - I cannot tell but then there are several FMs who can differentiate

One thing I can say for sure though is that a lot of audio enthusiasts tend to get elitist and start recommending Integrated Amps to people who are just about getting started and are working on a defined budget.
The notion that gets perpetrated is that Integrated amps sound a LOT better than AVRs for music - which is surely not true

Last edited: