How much power in watts does an average AV receiver consume ?

vij

I just purchased an Emerson 1KVA online sine wave UPS

I plan to run
1. Denon 510BT powering Wharfedale 5.1 100HCP satellite speakers (??????)
2. Xbox one - 120 watts while gaming
3. Benq 1070 projector - 200 watts
4. Tata Sky STB (not much)

The UPS can drive 800 watts comfortably. Will it suffice for the above setup?

How much power does an average entry level receiver like the Denon 510BT really consume. It shows 140 watts for 1 ch and 70 watts for 2 ch. Power consumption in the tech specs section is showing 310W *standby 0.1w)... Will this be the max while driving 5 satellite speakers and 1 subwoofer?

Bit worried if my UPS will suffice.

Last edited:
Most of the STB's are power guzzlers consuming close or more than 200W I believe. Please check the power consumption of STB also before you consider the total consumption.

If you search online for Tatasky power adapter, you will see it rated as 12V, 2A, 24W.

At most, the Tatasky STB will consume this much of power. Otherwise, the adapter will not be able to supply it that much power in any case.

I'm not an expert but I think you might have an underpowered UPS. I think the thumb rule is that the UPS should be 1.5 times the power rating of all the devices it will be powering. Some devices also require more power during startup. But please take my comment with a pinch of salt as I am only recollecting from memory, and I believe that the startup power requirement is only applicable to certain classes of devices.

I hv an emerson 1kva online pure sine wave ups that operates at 0.8 efficiency acording to specs... can pull 800 watts comfortably

Can anyone knowledgeable chime in here please. Can I manage? I have already purchased the UPS and now awaiting my HT components. Nervous.

Last edited:
How much power does an average entry level receiver like the Denon 510BT really consume. It shows 140 watts for 1 ch and 70 watts for 2 ch. Power consumption in the tech specs section is showing 310W *standby 0.1w)... Will this be the max while driving 5 satellite speakers and 1 subwoofer?

Bit worried if my UPS will suffice.

Then your AVR has a 310W Max power consumption... It may consume around 200 - 250W when in use, or even lesser... If your subwoofer is active, then that will have a seperate power consumption... Usually Watts consumed is denoted on the back of the device...

Since your UPS is 800 Watts, it should suffice, but may not run longer say like for a full movie or so....

I have an APC SUA1000UXI which outputs 800W. Running just my PC, Marantz SR5008 & Wharfedale SPC-12, the UPS gets overloaded every single time there is any LFE. However the UPS is designed to just passthrough an overload as long as there is main power. It only shuts off if it's on battery. During any LFE the UPS load jumps from 200W to > 1000W and I can see it in the log. This only happens during movies. It never overloads on music even with powerful beats.

Last edited:
Ok. Looks like my ups is sufficient... averages little over 50% load and only goes over 75% during intense action scenes. Perhaps my satellite speakers are easy on power consumption.

I don't have pc on.. but i do have an xbox one playing blurays which consumes max 125 watts...

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back