How to bend Aluminum with this homebrew jig

kaushik

Why go to workshop if u can make cabbie at home?
get home made bender HERE

We should have one bender for each city HFV for diy'ans , who are facing good cabbie issues .

you can save good money by making HTPC cabs at home too ............

pics
IMG_0923+%2528Large%2529.JPG

IMG_0717+%2528Large%2529.JPG

Follow the link... it is explained. <cross-posted>

Of course, the channel should be V-shaped, which would eliminate the slight imperfection seen in the otherwise brilliant piece of work shown. No channels would require cutting the face plate to match the resultant internal curve: more work and more curves to get right.

I'd like to be good at this sort of thing, but I know I wouldn't be. My woodworking is rough. Having made jewellery as a hobby taught me my metal-working limits. I'll sit back and admire the photos!

Follow the link... it is explained. <cross-posted>

Of course, the channel should be V-shaped, which would eliminate the slight imperfection seen in the otherwise brilliant piece of work shown. No channels would require cutting the face plate to match the resultant internal curve: more work and more curves to get right.

I'd like to be good at this sort of thing, but I know I wouldn't be. My woodworking is rough. Having made jewellery as a hobby taught me my metal-working limits. I'll sit back and admire the photos!

thad were they like
blue_capacitor_earrings2.jpg

I also would like to pay 100 to one of the metal guy near me .. tool is help full when you have the workshops far away ..
a drill kit and the jig for them : need to keep sheets all the time

Such articles are written in countries where, unless you have a friend in the trade, such things would be prohibitively expensive.

kaushik: real capacitors? Very clever idea ...but too easy. Make in silver, then enamel them. :cool:

Err, no, I couldn't. The most mechanically complex thing I ever made was a snap: one of those ones where you have a spring clip that fits into a slot in a box. All the same cutting and bending as in an amplifier box, with the addition of silver soldering at red heat --- but I could cut and file those V grooves across a cm of metal, I could not do it across inches.

thad ,
that was way good effort , i have just filed a AL panel after wrongly cut
square.. lost some pounds but the panel could not be made ok looking .

keith ,
often small saw plays a mega role ........lion n mouse story

measuring wd not have helped , it was an attempt to get a square window but drill machine ...

Any info on easy brushed finish on Aluminum???

Scoring the metal makes it easier to bend but you need to remember that there is a specified bending radius depending on the thickness of the sheet. You will find these in a sheet metal bending chart . I had a copy but can't find it. This will give you a clean bend without the metal tearing on the edges and also makes it easier to bend.
Second, you need to have a metal edge on the wooden sheet that holds the sheet to be bent right at the bending point. This is usually a metal wedge and does not have a 90 degree edge. For this application it could be 60 to 80 deg I guess. That way you can easily get a right angle bend with thicker sheets.
For thick sheets you need a lot of leverage and so some longer arms could be fixed to the movable section.
For simple bending of thin sheets like 1mm you can make a groove on the sheet and clamp it between two sheets of plywood and bend the exposed sheet down . The section of metal that is exposed should be the bigger piece so that you get better leverage. Of course the whole gizmo has to be kept on a table or on the edge of a staircase. Someone standing on it will help to keep it down as you bend.:D
Small sections can be easily bend between two aluminum L channels held in a large vice. You can make a full box with sides this way though it can't be very large. It's a pity we can't get simple manual bending machines here as they shouldn't cost much. I've used some of those long ago.
If there are enough people interested , someone could get it made. Must work out a design and see how much it would cost ! Might have a limitation on the thickness of metal ( aluminum ?) that you can bend. Going beyond 2mm will start becoming difficult with a simple bending machine.

The simplest way to get a brushed finish is to fix a piece of fine/medium emery sheet on a block of wood and brush it across the metal sheet. You will need to hold the metal sheet rigidly by putting it between some spacers fixed on wood and make sure that the emery sheet is moved across in a straight line. Any wiggles will show on the metal sheet.
You will also need to lubricate the sheet with something. Water or soapy water or kerosene depending on what type of emery sheet you are using.

Then wash the brushed sheet well with soap and water and dry it. You will need to spray it with acrylic clear spray to keep it's appearance or anodize it. Varnish is not good as it will yellow with age.

Well I don't know if I am permitted to talk about Gulp Makers on this forum.
Maybe I should just say that beer is quite difficult mainly because of lack of certain materials but wine is very easy or difficult depending on the quality of wine you want to make. There is lot's of info on the web and books that cost a pittance compared to how much you guys spend on your hi-fi systems !:)

A warning: Home made wines are far more alcoholic than commercial wines and so don't plan to drive after consuming home made wines ! This is not a joke !

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back