How to connect Amazon Fire stick to an A/V receiver?

Bresus

Hello all,

I have connected my Samsung TV / Speakers / DVD / etc. to an Onkyo TX NR626 A/V receiver.

Recently I got an Amazon Fire stick and when I connected it to the TV, I was not able to get the sound on the speakers - this article (https://positek.net/firestick-theater/) suggested that I connect the Fire stick directly to the receiver instead of the TV. However, there is a caveat when it says

Many older receivers cannot send video from HDMI inputs to the receivers speakers, but only to the TV. Even if your receiver has HDMI inputs, you need to check the manual to see if theyre only passthrough ports (to the HDMI output port).​

Can anyone guide if Onkyo TR 626 is one the 'older' receiver?

If not can someone pls guide me how to connect the Amazon Fire stick to the Onkyo TX NR626 receiver?

I would need to connect the Amazon Fire stick to one of the HDMI In ports, but which one? I tried port number 6 (which does not have any specific device assigned to it), but then I am not able to figure out how to select that 'In' port on the receiver or via the remote.

When I connected the Fire stick to one of the other ports (PC or Game or CBL/SAT), I was able to get the video on the TV, but not the Audio.

Any inputs on what I need to do set up the Fire Stick with my receiver?

I believe the last option is to connect the Fire stick to the TV and then run an Optical cable from my TV to the receiver, but would much rather prefer to connect it directly to the receiver.

Thanks!

Hello all,

I would need to connect the Amazon Fire stick to one of the HDMI In ports, but which one? I tried port number 6 (which does not have any specific device assigned to it), but then I am not able to figure out how to select that 'In' port on the receiver or via the remote.

Thanks!

The receiver is definitely not old . go to the setup menu and you should see HDMI input.
These are the default port assignments.

BD/DVD HDMI2
CBL/SAT HDMI3
GAME HDMI4
PC HDMI5
AUX HDMI1/MHL

Select a port that is not used by the DVD or cable tv etc.and plug the amazon stick to that port.

Check the default assignment port setting for that port that you have just connected the amazon stick to in the setup menu. make sure no optical or component is there in the default assignment selected . it should be HDMI in this will ensure that the sound is also from the HDMI port.

Also easy way to test is take out the DVD HDMI cable from the port and plug in the Amazon TV this will confirm that its working .

Does your AVR and TV have the ARC (Audio Return Channel). In which case when the firestick connected to the TV the audio can be played via the avr.
ARC function allows the sound from the TV to be routed via the existing hdmi connected to avr to be played to the speakers. AVR will decode the 5.1 too.

Do check for the ARC on both hardwares.

The receiver is definitely not old . go to the setup menu and you should see HDMI input.
These are the default port assignments.

BD/DVD HDMI2
CBL/SAT HDMI3
GAME HDMI4
PC HDMI5
AUX HDMI1/MHL

Select a port that is not used by the DVD or cable tv etc.and plug the amazon stick to that port.

Check the default assignment port setting for that port that you have just connected the amazon stick to in the setup menu. make sure no optical or component is there in the default assignment selected . it should be HDMI in this will ensure that the sound is also from the HDMI port.

Also easy way to test is take out the DVD HDMI cable from the port and plug in the Amazon TV this will confirm that its working .
Thanks; will try this out. I think I had tried plugging in the HDMI in the CBL/SAT block, but did not get the audio - will try out what you suggest.

Assuming I use the 5th or the 6th HDMI slots (which donot have a default setting, ie DVD, CBL, etc,) how do I select that on the remote as it has buttons only for the default settings.

Thanks again!

Thanks; will try this out. I think I had tried plugging in the HDMI in the CBL/SAT block, but did not get the audio - will try out what you suggest.

Assuming I use the 5th or the 6th HDMI slots (which donot have a default setting, ie DVD, CBL, etc,) how do I select that on the remote as it has buttons only for the default settings.

Thanks again!

go to the setup menu from your remote you can press the setup button.

Your Receiver has options to show the info on the tv. once you get to the setup go to sources and there you can set the option to setup any port to use whichever existing button that you have left.

Dear Friends ,

Did anyone succeed in connecting FireTV stick to AVR (both Picture and 5.1 audio)?
(Not with ARC and Optical out from TV)

If yes, kindly post the procedure.

Thanks in advance.

Chandu.

Dear Friends ,

Did anyone succeed in connecting FireTV stick to AVR (both Picture and 5.1 audio)?

Thanks in advance.

Chandu.
Yes, it works fine. Just use the HDMI extender and use any HDMI input of AVR. It's same like any other component you connect to AVR.

Hi,

I just bought a second Fire Stick today and have connected to my Marantz AVR, and it works perfectly! Without any issues!

Hi,
Have you tried hotstar on Amazon fire which is connected to your Marantz AV ? What is audio input signal do you while playing Tv shows or movies? In my case, it shows only FL FR speaker as active singnal.

Hi,
Have you tried hotstar on Amazon fire which is connected to your Marantz AV ? What is audio input signal do you while playing Tv shows or movies? In my case, it shows only FL FR speaker as active singnal.
The audio in hotstar is only stereo at the moment , i had contacted them and they said their next update will include multi channel audio,

Fire TV stick is working flawlessly with my Denon Receiver via any HDMI port. 5.1 output is available in Amazon prime content as well as Netflix and recognized by AVR instantly. Not sure about Hotstar and Jio as I did not use them so far.

I have a TV with only 1 HDMI input. I want to connect Fire stick and have digital sound in Receiver. If I understood you right, I connect Fire stick to Marantz Receiver. connect HDMI from Marantz to TV - will this work in getting HD picture and 5.1 Sound ?

I have a TV with only 1 HDMI input. I want to connect Fire stick and have digital sound in Receiver. If I understood you right, I connect Fire stick to Marantz Receiver. connect HDMI from Marantz to TV - will this work in getting HD picture and 5.1 Sound ?
Yes. That's the right way to connect. Firestick to receiver and receiver output to TV.

This is how I am using mine.

MaSh

Dear Friends ,

Thanks in advance.

Chandu.

I have been using my firestick with avr only. No issues so far.

I’m having an issue with the Firestick and my Yamaha RX-A870 receiver, which isn’t sending any signal to the LCD TV. In fact, I’m not getting any audio either, though I do hear the start up sound if I unplug the power and reinsert. For a fraction of a second I saw a blip of video too on one occasion while troubleshooting. Something is definitely not working correctly. I’ve also got a cable box and PS4 connected to the receiver. The cable box works perfect but the PS4 usually flickers a few times (audio as well as video) when I first tune to its input. It’s almost as if the Firestick is having the same issue as the PS4 but way worse. Like the signals aren’t making it through the receiver to the HDMI output?

Any thoughts here?

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back