How to connect -AVR-Stereo Integrated

kane

Hi,

I have a Marrantz SR 6006 that is connected to a Paradigm Floor standers and a polk audio 550WI subwoofer and a center channel Speaker from yamaha

I recently purchased a Marantz PM 6006 and connected the Pardigm's to them.They sounded fuller and clearer.

I was wondering how do i use the AVR function of the 6006 ( my Android tv and chrome cast are connected to them Via HDMI. ( my music plays of the Android box via Neutron Player)

Can i use the Pre out of the AVR and connect the PM 6006 to it via RCA.

Leave the Sub connected to the AVR. and connect the Paradigm FS to the Stereo Amp.

I listen to 80% Music and 20% Movies.

Any help with the best way to integrate them would be appreciated

Step 1 ..... Audio output connection
Connect the Optical digital audio output of your TV to one of the optical inputs of your PM6006 (There are two optical inputs available) ... This is the best and right method of connection ... The audio output of all the sources connected to your TV via HDMI or USB will be available through the optical output of your TV.

Step 2 ..... Speaker cable connections

You need a speaker switcher - 2 pairs in / 1 pair out ... (Do-it-yourself project - can be easily done - Send me a PM if you any need help on this) ... Connect your SR6006 front left+right speaker outputs to the input 1 of the switcher and your PM6006 left+right speaker ouputs to the input 2 of the speaker switcher ... Finally connect the left+right outputs of the switcher to your Paradigm Floor standers.

Thatz it, you are done ... Depending on your requirement, you just need to change the input on the speaker switcher.

Cheers

Connect the Optical digital audio output of your TV to one of the optical inputs of your PM6006 (There are two optical inputs available) ... This is the best and right method of connection ... The audio output of all the sources connected to your TV via HDMI or USB will be available through the optical output of your TV.

You need a speaker switcher - 2 pairs in / 1 pair out ... (Do-it-yourself project - can be easily done - Send me a PM if you any need help on this) ... Connect your SR6006 front left+right speaker outputs to the input 1 of the switcher and your PM6006 left+right speaker ouputs to the input 2 of the speaker switcher ... Finally connect the left+right outputs of the switcher to your Paradigm Floor standers.

Thatz it, you are done ... Depending on your requirement, you just need to change the input on the speaker switcher.

Cheers

Interesting suggestion. I would have thought that doing preouts from SR6006 (FL and FR) into PM6006 would be a better choice. The SR6006 should also be able to simultaneously send signal to the preouts while also sending the powered output to the center channel (and the preamp output to the sub which it was doing already).

This is how I have mine setup, although I have a 2.0 setup, so now my AVR (Marantz slimline) acts as a pre/pro. (It still runs hot though, no clue why).

I'm trying to think of the pros and cons between the two setups.

The way I am suggesting, you would be using the Marantz PM 6006 as a power amp. You would probably want to turn up the volume knob to full, turn on Source Direct, and use the SR6006 as a preamp which also controls volume and tone of the sound being supplied to the PM6006. But you will lose the DAC and preamp section of the PM6006 and will literally be using it as a power amp. Plus side is also that you will be able to connect all your audio and video sources into the AVR and treat it as your control hub. You can then use the AVR for volume control, source selection, and can also program Logitech Harmony to do this at the click of a button and make it really WAF friendly.

The way you are suggesting - from what I can think (i could be wrong), what you would lose is Audyssey room correction and EQ for the FR and FL channels as you are bypassing the AVR entirely and feeding digital audio directly from the TV into the PM6006. You would also have to independently increase/decrease volume on both the SR6006 as well as the PM6006 every time you need to adjust the volume. Furthermore, both will have to be done at similar proportions, otherwise you will end up with unbalanced sound.

I'm also not sure if sending digital audio from TV to PM6006 will cause a slight delay in video vs audio, or in the two audio streams which are being played by different sources.

Upside is that you will get to use more functionality of the PM6006 including its DAC section, volume control, and possibly source selection (if you choose to plug a stereo source into PM6006 instead of plugging it into SR6006). Possibly for stereo audio listening, this might work out better - assuming the preamp and DAC sections of the PM6006 is better than the SR6006 (although to be honest, I suspect it is the power amp section of the PM6006 that is significantly better).

I had the same issue where I has all my devices and OLED 65B6P connected to a yamaha TSR 7810. And I have an extensive vinyl collection that I listen to and that did not just sound as good as it should have ( I have another 2 channel setup for just music in another room; this one was in the family room)

What I did was to buy a Jolida JD 1501BRC integrated amp (tube pre-amp+solid state amp) and do the following:

1. Connect the FR/FL preouts of the Yamaha to the aux input of the Jolida.
2. Connect my Phono r and cd player directly to 2 other inputs on the Jolida
3. Connect the FL and FR speaker cables directly to the Jolida

Now when I need to listen to 2 channel audio, I just power on the Jolida and either listen to my CD player or phono ( The JD also has a 3.5mm audio input to which I can connect a mp3 player directly).

When I have to listen to sources connected to the yamaha and watch TV, I power on both the yamaha and Jolida. For a 1st time setup, I set the Jolida's volume control to the 12:00 clock position and ran YPAO to do measurements for the room. Once that was done, I use the yamaha volume control to dial the volume up/down. Has been working great so far!

Satish

Below is how I used my receiver and stereo amp.

All multichannel sources go into the receiver. All stereo music sources go onto the stereo amp. Speakers are connected to the stereo amp. Front channel pre outs from receiver are connected to an analog source say AUX input on the stereo amp. That's it

So when you are using a multi channel source, switch the source on your stereo amp to the one where the receiver pre outs are connected. When listening to music, select the corresponding source on stereo amp. The receiver need not be switched on.

Set the stereo amp volume to 12 o'clock position when it is being used with the receiver. Do the Audyssey setup with this volume setting.

When switching to stereo source, lower the volume of the stereo amp.

MaSh

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Hi,

I have a Marrantz SR 6006 that is connected to a Paradigm Floor standers and a polk audio 550WI subwoofer and a center channel Speaker from yamaha

I recently purchased a Marantz PM 6006 and connected the Pardigm's to them.They sounded fuller and clearer.

I was wondering how do i use the AVR function of the 6006 ( my Android tv and chrome cast are connected to them Via HDMI. ( my music plays of the Android box via Neutron Player)

Can i use the Pre out of the AVR and connect the PM 6006 to it via RCA.

Leave the Sub connected to the AVR. and connect the Paradigm FS to the Stereo Amp.

I listen to 80% Music and 20% Movies.

Any help with the best way to integrate them would be appreciated

Don't think connecting the Pre-out of the AVR to the Analogue input of stereo amplifier is correct..

Your AVR has analogue Audio out in the form of Zone 2/3.. You can connect that to your stereo amplifier analogue outputs..

Your AVR has pair of speaker B outputs also..

Don't think connecting the Pre-out of the AVR to the Analogue input of stereo amplifier is correct..

Your AVR has analogue Audio out in the form of Zone 2/3.. You can connect that to your stereo amplifier analogue outputs..

Why not? This receiver has a full 7.1 pre out along with another zone out. Connecting pre out to an analog input is perfectly fine as long as the volume on stereo amp is not set too high.

MaSh

Why not? This receiver has a full 7.1 pre out along with another zone out. Connecting pre out to an analog input is perfectly fine as long as the volume on stereo amp is not set too high.

MaSh

It is a Pre-out and not analogue out, which has to be connected to a power amp and then to speakers..

Zone-out is analogue out, which can be connected to any analogue inputs safely..

Am not much aware technically, but there is difference in voltage between a pre-out and analogue out..

It is a Pre-out and not analogue out, which has to be connected to a power amp and then to speakers..

Zone-out is analogue out, which can be connected to any analogue inputs safely..

Am not much aware technically, but there is difference in voltage between a pre-out and analogue out..
Yes, connecting to main in of a stereo amp/power amp is ideal, however, pre out does not carry much voltage, so if the stereo amp volume is kept at 50% or less, there is no issue.

MaSh

Cannot sent output to The zone 2 and 3 if the source is digital in this case the HDMI or Optical :-(

Yes, connecting to main in of a stereo amp/power amp is ideal, however, pre out does not carry much voltage, so if the stereo amp volume is kept at 50% or less, there is no issue.

MaSh

I have never tried this thinking it might damage system.. Volume control is with two devices?

I have never tried this thinking it might damage system.. Volume control is with two devices?
Nope, nothing gets damaged. As said, stereo amp should be 50% or less. Set to 12 o'clock and set to it when using with receiver. Audyssey will set the right gains for the channels. This is the go to setup option when stereo amp dies not have separate pre and main sections.

MaSh

MaSh

Little confused about this part - voltage difference. did not understand that part.

Can someone please explain.

Little confused about this part - voltage difference. did not understand that part.

Can someone please explain.

Pre out carry a small voltage of 2v or less from the pre out section of an amp. Pre out section is where the volume control is. So when receiver is connected to an input on a stereo amp then there are are two Pre Amp sections working, the receiver's and the Stereo amp's. Hence the recommendation to fix the volume of stereo amp to 50% or less.

Now, if the receiver is connected to Mains In of an amp (if available) then volume /pre amp section of stereo amp is bypassed and only the volume control on receiver works.

MaSh

Cheers

So in this case I do not have an optical out but rather a coax out. Which i connect to the Stereo amp. ( the AVR get the audio from the HDMI)

And use the speaker switcher to play from either AVR or the Stereo Amp.

Question is : Since the path now is

Android TV box >>>AVR>>> TV >>> Stereo AMP >>> To Switcher >>> to speaker

Will that introduce any delay or loss of quality, or that the quality will not be too degraded to be noticeable on such a low end system

And yes please do share the Speaker Switch DIY :) would love to try that out.

Last edited:
Pre out carry a small voltage of 2v or less from the pre out section of an amp. Pre out section is where the volume control is. So when receiver is connected to an input on a stereo amp then there are are two Pre Amp sections working, the receiver's and the Stereo amp's. Hence the recommendation to fix the volume of stereo amp to 50% or less.

Now, if the receiver is connected to Mains In of an amp (if available) then volume /pre amp section of stereo amp is bypassed and only the volume control on receiver works.

MaSh

I see. In my case, I have an integrated amp that has a passive preamp stage and not an active one. In my case, I just turned up the volume on the integrated amp to 100% and let the AVR do volume control. It works fine for me.

But i see your point - if your integrated amp had special inputs that accepted a feed from a preamp (and not source), which then bypasses the preamp section of the integrated amp and makes it work like a power amp, that is ideal, since you really are trying to run your integrated amp like a power amp.

If not available, makes sense to turn down the volume on the integrated, especially if the voltage from the AVR preout (2 volts probably) is significantly higher than what the integrated amp expects from a typical source.

Just one thing: I thought that preamps and sources have roughly the same voltage output - in the neighborhood of 2 volts. Is that not right?

Preouts of the AVR is the better option. Zone 2/3 wont send analog signals if you connect the cd/bluray players through HDMI/coax/optical.

So set set the audio output of the avr as fixed so that you can handle the volume control from the pm6006 and there wont be any noise. And also your pm6006 would take care of preamplification.

ok so i have run into a couple of problems :

Components :

AVR : Marantz SR 6006
Stereo : Marantz PM 6006
Speakers : Center : Yamaha NS150 , Bookshelves : Pioneer AJ, Floorstanders : Paradigm Monitor 7 V6 , Subwoofer : Polk Audio DW 550WI

setup 1 :
Android TV (HDMI) input to SR6006 ,Speakers connected : AJ bookshelves on Speakers A terminals, Center channel has the yamaha, and polk on the Subwoofer out.

SR6006 : preouts (FR/FL) connected to PM 6006 Aux input.

PM6006 >>> Paradigm FS

Problem : The volume on my avr also increases with the volume (Guess i have to disable the remote on my PM 6006) also there is some hissing sound that comes, - Maybe i have to disconnect the AJ's as the preouts are connected to the FR/FL

Setup 2 :
Android TV (HDMI) input to SR6006 , TV COAX OUT TO PM 6006 , Speakers connected : AJ bookshelves on Speakers A terminals, Center channel has the yamaha, and polk on the Subwoofer out.
PM6006 >>> Paradigm FS

Problem : I have to Change the HDMI output to TV on the SR 6006 then take the coax out from the TV to the PM 6006

My Android TV box also has an optical out as well: will check if it can output to HDMI as well as the Optical out ( that will solve the problem of playing the music from the Android box0

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back