How to Connect Marantz Amp, LCD TV, Sony PS2, DVD Player

cobaltcold

Hi,

I need some information on connecting the following devices to LCD TV without changing the AV cables everytime.

1. Sony PS2
2. Moser Baer DVD player
3. Marantz Amplifier connected to Mission Tower Speakers.
4. LG 26" LCD TV.

When I use PS2, I connect it to LCD Directly.
When I watch movies, I connect DVD/VCD Player to connect it to LCd Directly
WhenI listen Music, I connect the DVD/VCD Player to Amplifier.

Evertime I unplug the AV cables to connect and disconnect different devices.

Is there any method/Device where I can connect all the cables and devices so that I can Use anyof them without unplugging the AV cables every now and Then.

I heard of AV switch but that does not allow me to connect DVD/VCD player to Amp.

Help Me :)

There are multiple solutions depending upon what amplifier you have. If the Marantz is an AVR, you can connect all the sources to the AVR, and have a single HDMI cable going to the TV. If you have a two channel amp, the solution is a bit more complex.

Most LCD will have a component and a composite input. These will be called AV1, AV2, and YPbPr. depending upon which is more important in terms of clarity, connect the PS2 and the DVD Player to the TV using a component cable, and a composite cable. Using the TV remote, you can switch the input depending upon which one you are using.

Most DVD Players will also have a separate audio out for music amplification. using a audio cable, connect the DVD Player permanently to the amplifier.

You are done. Basically you need three cables - a component, a composite, and an audio cable

Cheers

Thanks venkat. I have connected the PS2 and DVD player using component cable and composite cables to the LCD. It works properly :)

Now, I need to connect the DVD player (moser Baer) to Marantz SR 5200 AVR. I could not find Audio out on the DVD player so as to USE the Audio cable to the AVR. Do you want me to use a optical cable to connect these 2?

Further, How do i connect an Ipod to the receiver to play the songs from it?

Regards,
Cobalt.

So you do have an AVR. Unless you are not interested in watching movies in full 5.1, I would suggest you connect the DVD Player to the AVR and the AVR to the LCD.

Your AVR does not have component I/O so you can use either a composite cable or a S-Video cable. For audio, yes, use a digital cable from the DVD player to the AVR. If you comfortable with optical, you can use that. Else get a good quality digital coaxial cable also. They are slightly less expensive and easier to manage.

For the iPod, there are three ways of doing this.

(1) One is to use a cable that has two RCA jacks on one end and a headphone jack on the other.

Acc_Cable.gif

(2) The other is a similar cable that has the iPod connector on one end and two RCA jacks on the other.

05711890000_20091106080132159

Connect the RCA jacks to AUX-IN on your AVR. Whenever you need to play the iPod, connect it to the other end.

(3) A more elegant way is to use a iPod dock as shown below.

Marantz_IS201_iPod_dock_big.jpg

Using ordinary audio cables, the dock is connected permanently to the AVR. Whenever you need to use the iPod, just insert it into the dock, and you are on.

Cheers

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back