How to connect my home theater with my desktop

sathish ragav

Hi,

2 weeks back I bought Denon 1312xp.I connected with my computer(desktop)

my system config is below :

Mother Board: Gigabyte X58- USB3
Processor : Inter Core i7 950 (3.07GHz)
Ram: DDR3 Corsair 6GB
Graphic Card : ATI Radeon HD 5770 (1024MBytes)

Operating System : Windows 7 (64 bit)

I connected the AVR to computer through HDMI cable

There is no sound card, but my mother board(Gigabyte X58- USB3) supporting Dolby Home Theater, Will this do any good?

I tried many things,but still the same problems. The sound look like normal speaker one not effective.

Please help me out ........................

Last edited:
You need to set AMD HDMI as the audio playback device. Right click speaker icon in the notification area>Playback devices> Set AMD HDMI as default playback device. If it is not listed then update the graphics driver. Click configure and set the speaker system as 5.1. If it is showing as 2 channel only then restart the computer keeping the AVR ON.

Next you need to set your player to bitstream AC3 and DTS. If you are using xbmc then configure the audio devices as below:

Audio output: HDMI
Speaker configuration: 5.1
Enable Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby TruHD and DTS HDMA capable receiver.
Disable AAC capable receiver.
In Audio output device and Passthrough device select WASAPI AMD HDMI.

Now play any movies with AC3/DTS 5.1 audio and the AVR should show Dolby Digital/DTS. While playing AAC, the AVR should show MULTI IN.

hi baijuxavior,

i did all.................this. but sound not coming still.

You need to set AMD HDMI as the audio playback device. Right click speaker icon in the notification area>Playback devices> Set AMD HDMI as default playback device. If it is not listed then update the graphics driver. Click configure and set the speaker system as 5.1. If it is showing as 2 channel only then restart the computer keeping the AVR ON.

Next you need to set your player to bitstream AC3 and DTS. If you are using xbmc then configure the audio devices as below:

Audio output: HDMI
Speaker configuration: 5.1
Enable Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby TruHD and DTS HDMA capable receiver.
Disable AAC capable receiver.
In Audio output device and Passthrough device select WASAPI AMD HDMI.

Now play any movies with AC3/DTS 5.1 audio and the AVR should show Dolby Digital/DTS. While playing AAC, the AVR should show MULTI IN.

which media player do you use while watching movies on your laptop? VLC, Windows media player or some other?

If using VLC media player, did you go to audio settings and enable 5.1? because when you start a clip with media player, by default it plays in 2 channel stereo. I may be asking you very basic question but still why leave any room for doubts.

I tried with XBMC, but this one not working.
VLC only I m playing

In VLC i enabled 5.1

which media player do you use while watching movies on your laptop? VLC, Windows media player or some other?

If using VLC media player, did you go to audio settings and enable 5.1? because when you start a clip with media player, by default it plays in 2 channel stereo. I may be asking you very basic question but still why leave any room for doubts.

Satish-

Could you tell us whether your HTiB is installed and configured properly and you are getting good audio ( 5.1 etc ) while playing movies thru DVD/BD or Media player ?

I connected the AVR to computer through HDMI cable

I tried many things,but still the same problems. The sound look like normal speaker one not effective.

What do you mean by normal spaker sound? When you connecting the HDMI output to your AVR are you getting no sound or only stereo sound? If you getting some sound then what sound format is your Denon AVR showing? does it show some thing like PCM or Dolby?

If your using VLC then try changing some settings, under "Tools" menu go to Preferences -> Audio and under "Output module" select "DirectX audio output". Then turn on the option to use S/PDIF option when available and in the "Device" option select ATI HDMI out. Close VLC player and then check by playing some regular Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS 5.1 material.

If your using a OS newer than Windows XP then try PowerDVD, in the player's settings change the "Speaker environmet" to "HDMI" . Select "Non decoded audio" as output mode. Close the player and then try playing some 5.1 stuff.

What type of 5.1 material are you going to use? If it is regular Dolby 5.1 or DTS then you can use the motherboard's S/PDIF output to connect to your AVR.

I was out of station last week so unable to replay . really sorry for...........

Ya I am getting sound. But the sound kind of stereo. NO EFFECTIVE
i am not getting 5.1 or DTS feel.

When I play DTS movies, Denon AVR showing : PCM & DIG

One small issue
While playing DTS movies
In Decode option : If i change DTS mode I am not getting any sound, sound comes only when i change PCM or Auto mode .

MY AVR SETTING DETAILS HERE:

In Speaker Setup

Speaker Config
Front : Small
Center : Small
Surround : Small
S.B (pre) : None
SW : Yes

Bass Setting
LFE :90 Hz
Mode : LFE

Distance
Step : 0.1m
FL : 2.00m
FR : 2.00m
C : 2.00m
SW : 2.00m
SL : 2.00m
SR : 2.00m

Corssover Freq
Front : 100 Hz
Center : 100 Hz
Surround : 100 Hz

In Input Setup

Input Assign
Opt : BD

Input Mode
Input HDMI

Decode : PCM

Source Level
S. Lev : +10 dB

In Option Setup

Volume Control
Disp : Absolute
Limit : OFF
P.On : Last
Mute : -40dB

What do you mean by normal spaker sound? When you connecting the HDMI output to your AVR are you getting no sound or only stereo sound? If you getting some sound then what sound format is your Denon AVR showing? does it show some thing like PCM or Dolby?

If your using VLC then try changing some settings, under "Tools" menu go to Preferences -> Audio and under "Output module" select "DirectX audio output". Then turn on the option to use S/PDIF option when available and in the "Device" option select ATI HDMI out. Close VLC player and then check by playing some regular Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS 5.1 material.

If your using a OS newer than Windows XP then try PowerDVD, in the player's settings change the "Speaker environmet" to "HDMI" . Select "Non decoded audio" as output mode. Close the player and then try playing some 5.1 stuff.

What type of 5.1 material are you going to use? If it is regular Dolby 5.1 or DTS then you can use the motherboard's S/PDIF output to connect to your AVR.

I was out of station last week so unable to replay . really sorry for...........

I would advise you to go for a media player. You can get the branded ones with basic functions at around 4-5K. It'll be worth. They even have upscaling function which will enhance your movie watching experience.

Try changing Decode option to " Auto " in AVR setting.. and also play/ test with Cross over Frequency ( Say 60-80 Hz )..

One small issue
While playing DTS movies
In Decode option : If i change DTS mode I am not getting any sound, sound comes only when i change PCM or Auto mode .

Did you get any sound in the surround or center channel when playing DTS movies in PCM or Auto mode? If there was no sound in the surrounds or center channel then it means that your PC sending 2 channel PCM audio to the AVR.

The reason why your PC is sending 2 channel PCM could be because your media player used to play the DTS movies is converting it into 2 Channel PCM.

Did you try changing the settings in VLC like I had suggested in my previous post? Also did you try playing your content using PowerDVD? If you have not tried it, then I would suggest you to download a demo version of PowerDVD and try playing your movies with the settings I had suggested.

This could also be an issue with your motherboard's sound card, Realtek based on board sound had some issue working while working with ATI graphics card's HDMI audio out. There was a patch or some driver released specifically for ATI cards to solve the issue, so go to Realtek's wesbite and under "Downloads" you find a Patch or driver for ATI HDMI audio under HD audio. Install it and check if it works after a restart.

I changed the VLC & Power DVD settings as you menstioned, also I downloaded the ATI HDMI audio drives from Realtek's wesbite and installed. But still the same problem.
While playing DTS movies

Did you get any sound in the surround or center channel when playing DTS movies in PCM or Auto mode? If there was no sound in the surrounds or center channel then it means that your PC sending 2 channel PCM audio to the AVR.

The reason why your PC is sending 2 channel PCM could be because your media player used to play the DTS movies is converting it into 2 Channel PCM.

Did you try changing the settings in VLC like I had suggested in my previous post? Also did you try playing your content using PowerDVD? If you have not tried it, then I would suggest you to download a demo version of PowerDVD and try playing your movies with the settings I had suggested.

This could also be an issue with your motherboard's sound card, Realtek based on board sound had some issue working while working with ATI graphics card's HDMI audio out. There was a patch or some driver released specifically for ATI cards to solve the issue, so go to Realtek's wesbite and under "Downloads" you find a Patch or driver for ATI HDMI audio under HD audio. Install it and check if it works after a restart.

Uninstall Realtek HDMI audio and reinstall your ATI GPU driver so that the hdmi playback device is listed as ATI HDMI audio and not Realtek HDMI.

^^ In hdmi audio configuration, set speaker system to 5.1 and uncheck the option that says full range speakers. If you have already set the media players to bitstream, you should see DTS or DD logo lighting up in the avr when playing a movie with DTS/DD track.

Ya i did. But still the same prob. cant hear the sound and nothing visible in avr

^^ In hdmi audio configuration, set speaker system to 5.1 and uncheck the option that says full range speakers. If you have already set the media players to bitstream, you should see DTS or DD logo lighting up in the avr when playing a movie with DTS/DD track.

Back