How to extend WiFi for LAN only media players?

almost all the netgear router supports repeater function..

i had wgr614v9 but that was only g..

go for n150 for 1250..

ok. Problem was with IE. I tried again in firefox and upgrade went smooth. Right now my wireless is disabled. Lan cable connected to new asus n10, and I am able to open hifivision.
Cool - setup done!
Now - how do I reach the setup page of the asus n10, as both routers have/ had 192.168.1.1 ? Now when I say 192.168.1.1 even from the lan connection of n10, it takes me to the setup page of old router/ modem.

ok - have set the old router on reboot and then accessed 192.168.1.1 and it took me to N10's setting page. Now I have set the IP of this from automatic to 192.168.1.2 and now I can reach both of them at the same time.

Now the question is : how to know when I am connected to main router via N10, and when to the main router directly?

Security Question - on my main router I have a MAC address filter. In repeater mode, is this honored? Can anyone connect to my new N10 even if it does not have mac address in the allowed list?

Just a couple of thoughts (and I haven't been following the details closely)...

1. You mustn't have two devices with the same IP address. Please change one of them, then you should be able to access the admin pages of either. You may run into problems if you have two DHCP servers on the net too.

2. Remember to think of wifi transmission in straight lines. Diagonally through a concrete floor is much harder than straight through it. Sometimes, a small move of the router can work wonders --- or so they tell me, all my wireless stuff is in one room!

Now the question is : how to know when I am connected to main router via N10, and when to the main router directly?

It does not matter, in any case second router is going to forward all request to the main router. It is simply acting as repeater.

You can create a dummy interface on second router that will act as a proxy to first, but that will require non-trivial work to setup. In that case you will see two wireless networks.

Security Question - on my main router I have a MAC address filter. In repeater mode, is this honored? Can anyone connect to my new N10 even if it does not have mac address in the allowed list?

It would be honored since repeater forwards all DHCP requests to main router. In some routers, repeater mode is just an independent VLAN in that case it might not work.

This is a different scenario. In repeater mode, device turns off all IP capabilities and becomes just a wireless "hub".

Thats the reason it displays IP address of upstrem router as its own.

Thanks everyone.
I have already changed the IP addresses. I think the repeater ALSO keeps an IP address for itself so that it's setup UI can be accessed.
I can now access main router at 1.1 while the repeater on 1.22
Have set dhcp to give IPs beyond 1.100 to avoid clashes with hardcoded IPs. I need IPs fixed for all servers like printer (doesn't matter though), appletv (I ssh on it to do a shutdown -h now) and routers.

I connected my new samsung 6500 tv via lan cable from this repeater and it was able to access internet. I could play youtube videos, see weather, google maps on my TV. I can now shift my printer/ scanner also to br now as it had only lan port.

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back