How to get 5.1 audio on fire TV stick with downloaded files

siddkai

I have a fire TV stick lite. It can output 5.1 Dolby digital and even Dolby Atmos with some of the Netflix content. Most of the streaming services like Netflix, Amazon prime, Disney etc can give Dolby Digital output on my soundbar.

Problem: The issue is with downloaded content. The downloaded file is having 3f2r/lfe in the vlc properties if I check on my laptop. But the same file when playing on fire TV stick with VLC app will output only stereo.

Settings on fire TV
Settings ->Audio->Surround sound is set to Best available
Vlc Digital audio output (passthrough)- Enabled

I have a fire TV stick lite. It can output 5.1 Dolby digital and even Dolby Atmos with some of the Netflix content. Most of the streaming services like Netflix, Amazon prime, Disney etc can give Dolby Digital output on my soundbar.

Problem: The issue is with downloaded content. The downloaded file is having 3f2r/lfe in the vlc properties if I check on my laptop. But the same file when playing on fire TV stick with VLC app will output only stereo.

Settings on fire TV
Settings ->Audio->Surround sound is set to Best available
Vlc Digital audio output (passthrough)- Enabled

Try Fire TV settings to Dolby Digital Plus and perhaps it should work....no harm trying

Try Kodi. I also can't get proper 5.1 sound using VLC on my fire stick, but it works with Kodi.

Kodi is not available on app store. You'll have to sideload. Please download the apk from official site only. You'll just need to enable unknown sources for installing the app.

@siddkai... How are you playing downloaded files on firetv stick? Is it through the OTG cable/USB or External Hard Disk?
@All... I'm wondering how to run my local laptop movies (huge files) on firetv stick without losing audio/video quality.
Also does the quality of OTG cable affect the video quality?

@siddkai... How are you playing downloaded files on firetv stick? Is it through the OTG cable/USB or External Hard Disk?
@All... I'm wondering how to run my local laptop movies (huge files) on firetv stick without losing audio/video quality.
I run a NAS pith pi 4 connected to 1Gpps Lan and tv is on 5g Wi-Fi (should be around 800Mbps link)
and no issues streaming 4K via kodi.

You can install plex server on your laptop and the plex player on fire stick. Cannect the server and player and you're good to go.

I run Jellyfin on my PC. I like the UI more than Plex's. On Firestick, you can use Kodi, JF client or something else as the client. Unless your audio tracks are not lossless, you should be able to stream and decode everything on the Firestick, even on 5GHz wireless.

Just create a shared drive on Windows, install VLC in fire stick and play using network files

What happens when we connect AVR to Laptop through HDMI? Is there a loss of audio/video quality this way?

What happens when we connect AVR to Laptop through HDMI? Is there a loss of audio/video quality this way?
There won't be any loss. Infact this will be the best way to watch if it is possible. Using players like mpc-hc or JRiver which supports madVR, you can watch movies in the best quality possible. Also, you can bitstream the audio if your receiver can natively decode the stream. This is the best way for experiencing the content.

However, there are a few small problems with this approach.
1. If your PC monitor is also on simultaneously while you are connected to the projector, the resolution, refresh rate, colour depth will all be determined by the least capable device of the two connected displays. In that case, it is best to deactivate the default monitor while watching the movies and use only the projector as your display. I do this to use 10 bit colour on my projector which is otherwise disabled as my primary monitor doesn't support the same.

2. You will lose remote control access and will have to use a remote app or a wireless keyboard or mouse to control your playback (seek, play/pause, etc.)

There won't be any loss. Infact this will be the best way to watch if it is possible. Using players like mpc-hc or JRiver which supports madVR, you can watch movies in the best quality possible. Also, you can bitstream the audio if your receiver can natively decode the stream. This is the best way for experiencing the content.

However, there are a few small problems with this approach.
1. If your PC monitor is also on simultaneously while you are connected to the projector, the resolution, refresh rate, colour depth will all be determined by the least capable device of the two connected displays. In that case, it is best to deactivate the default monitor while watching the movies and use only the projector as your display. I do this to use 10 bit colour on my projector which is otherwise disabled as my primary monitor doesn't support the same.

2. You will lose remote control access and will have to use a remote app or a wireless keyboard or mouse to control your playback (seek, play/pause, etc.)
One has to set extend display and not duplicate while connecting to avr .
So individual resolutions can be set.

One can use either wireless mouse or unified remote app to control player on PC.

Earlier l used have IR remote connected to PC.

One can use either wireless mouse or unified remote app to control player on PC.

Earlier l used have IR remote connected to PC.
I was looking for a remote for my PC but could not find anything useful. Can you please share a link of something we can get in India? I thought of getting the FLIRC USB device but looks like they do not ship to India anymore.

One has to set extend display and not duplicate while connecting to avr .
So individual resolutions can be set
This is true, however I have always faced some quirks on extended displays especially given that my projector screen and monitor are not near to each other.

Do you mind giving more details on this remote?
Will it allow, pause, play, volume increase, decrease mute etc on a movie playing in VLC?
This one

Later this lasted longer

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back