How to get 5.1 DD from Airtel HD DVR set top box.

me_ish

Hi,
I'm using Airtel HD DVR set top box with internal HDD of 500 GB.
I've subscribed to all HD channels broadcasted by Airtel.

I did not have problem till I bought my new home theater system with 5.1 surround sound capability. I always thought that airtel HD channels support 5.1 surround sound. But I tried both optical cable and HDMI, but I'm unable to get surround sound.Rear speakers are always mute in Multichannel mode (5.1 surround mode), but they work in stereo mode, so I only get stereo sound.
Further I tested with some DVDs and internet videos , I get proper 5.1 surround sound there in multichannel mode, so my home theater system setup is ok.

Does anybody know Airtel HD DVR box gives 5.1 surround sound and is anyone getting that?? Please let me know how to get 5.1 DD sound from this box?

Need help urgently.

I am using Airtel HD DVR and I am getting DD 5.1 for HD channels through the optical out. The video is through HDMI. My AVR is Marantz 1402.

Now based on the AVR you are using, you will need to do input assign. Please read the documentation of your AVR to find out how to do the input assign. Using input assign, you can tell the AVR to use HDMI for video and use digital input for audio. All the AVRs will support this feature.

-John.

I'm using Philips HTS 6543 Home Theater System. I've Samsung 40ES6220 TV. Both of these support HDMI (ARC) connection. HTS also has optical input. So, I connect my Airtel set top box to Home theater by optical cable and for Video I connect set top box to TV by HDMI. I hope this connection is correct.. I've also tried connecting TV by optical to HTS (Audio coming to HTS via TV from Airtel)...

In both of these setups I dont get 5.1 audio... Please help me with setup.

By the way what is AVR?

I'm using Philips HTS 6543 Home Theater System. I've Samsung 40ES6220 TV. Both of these support HDMI (ARC) connection. HTS also has optical input. So, I connect my Airtel set top box to Home theater by optical cable and for Video I connect set top box to TV by HDMI. I hope this connection is correct.. I've also tried connecting TV by optical to HTS (Audio coming to HTS via TV from Airtel)...

In both of these setups I dont get 5.1 audio... Please help me with setup.

By the way what is AVR?

When you have ARC, AFAIK, you would not need to connect TV to HT using optical. Check your HDMI settings of ur STB, does it say PCM/DD ? Atleast this is one setting I had changed for a friend's Tata sky HD box. And then his sony hometheater's front panel display started shown Dolby Digital instead of LPCM.

Currently what does ur HT's display show?
Plus on your philips HT, the sound mode should be ORIGINAL and Surround mode should be MULTI-CH/DOLBY PLII (not 5CH STEREO or 2CH STEREO).

Last edited:
Guys,

Airtel HD box does support 5.1 channel sound through HDMI. There is a setting for that. We need to goto Settings - User Settings - Audio

Here we need to se Dolby Digital Plus for the HDMI audio output. That's it, we will get the 5.1 channel sound on the supported channels. Thanks.

you are right,That's it, we will get the 5.1 channel sound on the supported channels. Thanks.
nqpSam

When I changed from stereo to DD or DD PLUS I am not getting any audio output from all HD Channels what could be the cause? My TV is Samsung ua32c5000

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back