How to get started with my first HiFi Stereo system?

swamytk

Tomorrow I setup my first budget HiFi stereo system for music. Here is the plan. I purchased Amp, speaker and stand this week. Rest of the sources are with me already. Here is the setup planned.

Amp Marantz PM5005
Speaker: Wharfedale Diamond 220
Speaker Stand: Sound Factoring opal
Cables: RCA and speaker cables of AmazonBasic
Sources:
1. Sony TV spdif - fiio d03k dac (temporarily till I setup Home theatre)
2. Chromecast audio - RCA out for streaming
3. Raspberry Pi 3 B+ Mopidy server - Fiio E10K DAC for local FLAC/MP3 collection
4. Tantra Fluke Pro Bluetooth audio receiver - recycled from my old car (if I use Bluetooth a lot then will consider upgrade to aptx hd)

I need your inputs on setting up this in optimised way. Tips will be highly helpful. All Dos and Don'ts welcome!

I use the phantom speaker test (Courtesy of Jesco@ acoustic insider) as attached for finding the right center image and tonality. Do try it for the best possible positioning to get the best out of your gear!

For music you can have CCA/Raspberry Pi FiiO combo -> RCA - > PM5005 -> WD 220

Attachments

• Acoustics-Insider-Phantom-Speaker-Test-Step-By-Step-Guide.pdf
    392.6 KB · Views: 42
I thought it was just plug-n-play, is'nt it? :p

Just kidding. Here are ground rules
- place speakers on stands and place them at least 1-2 feet from walls (behind and side)
- position them 5-8 feet apart
- make a list of familiar tunes and some what familiar ones
- play from one source at a time; don't switch back and forth yet
- play 2-3 known tunes and record your position, tune & observations (excel file time)
- try low volume, high volume, tone/loudness, what have you
- repeat these steps by playing around with placement, positioning
- take time, give yourself a week or so
- get someone else in the house to chip in with their opinions (women hear differently ;))

Simple stuff, isn't it? :)
Have fun buddy.

Cheers,
Raghu

I thought it was just plug-n-play, is'nt it? :p

Just kidding. Here are ground rules
- place speakers on stands and place them at least 1-2 feet from walls (behind and side)
- position them 5-8 feet apart
- make a list of familiar tunes and some what familiar ones
- play from one source at a time; don't switch back and forth yet
- play 2-3 known tunes and record your position, tune & observations (excel file time)
- try low volume, high volume, tone/loudness, what have you
- repeat these steps by playing around with placement, positioning
- take time, give yourself a week or so
- get someone else in the house to chip in with their opinions (women hear differently ;))

Simple stuff, isn't it? :)
Have fun buddy.

Cheers,
Raghu
Thanks for quick summary, @raghupb . I ordered PM5005 yesterday around 4:30PM, today it is scheduled to be delivered. Hifimart works in damn speed. I am eager to setup this week-end, but Opal stand is not yet shipped. Waiting for the same. I don't think I will settle even in a week also - I keep scratching gadgets till I am satisfied - or break :)

Oh... ok. Due to space constraint I thought of placing it close to wall (a few cm). Will it hurt audio quality?
In my case I found that lesser than a feet was impacting the soundstage depth and tonality. You can experiment till you can find the right compromise

Plug and play and enjoy. If u start moving speakers in mm left right front back, u will start having sleepless nights and will start hating your system.

So, just put the speakers in your room about 6-8 inches minimum from the back wall if u can. Fire up the amp and listen to the music. And visit Hfv as less as u can (magically lowers your BP) :p

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back