How to make bass sound tighter?

IMO, though a UMIK-1 & REW are viable solutions, the landing cost of the Mic is anywhere between 10 ~ 12K, and then it would demand the user to have hands on with REW & then figure out the ideal response thru multiple measurements.. For a lil more money that he would spend on Mic, he can get an other sub (Dual identical sub) (or) more possibilities of getting an other 10inch affordable sub, which could help the user.. This is purely from a cost perspective..

The best the user can do in the present situation is, to re position the sub as many times as possible in the room and settle where he thinks / feels it is good..
Isolate the sub from floor.
Use gym rubber flooring.. get a single rubber tile. Will cost around 300 rupees
Or get some tennis balls to isolate

subsatya- I am not a big fan of placing any speaker near wall or wall corner let alone a sub-woofer...But if this is the best place that you got using the crawl technique then may be the sub integration with main speakers is messed up. Try changing the cross over frequency or phase control on the sub-woofer to see if that ameliorates the sub performance. W/O the REW analysis it is hard to pin piont any particular issue and unfortunately you have to continue experimenting with sub-woofer/pre-processor/AVR settings....

Vibration control is another area which when addressed correctly boosts performance significantly. But I would first eliminate areas like speaker positioning, crossover frequency, phase, room acoustics,etc before focusing on vibration control. Once you have placed the sub in the best place and it is properly integrated with the main speakers the vibration control would be most effective as the sub performancr will move from being good to outstanding.
Thanks.

Attaching pic of the sub. On the left of the sub is tv.

View attachment 28689

Hi

The sub is placed on this kind of flooring...it will not sound that great to be honest.....try getting a door mat which is made of cloth material and see if any difference.....dont expect an immediate difference....you should try different positions or placements or frequencies minimum at least for a week or 3 days to feel or experience any difference....

As mentioned earlier, you may need to manually adjust the settings on the AVR (frequencies) this may help. Hope the sources you are using has decent content in terms of quality and levels...that too makes a difference....check subwoofer cable.....

A well designed isolation platform does wonders to the performance of any audio video component. It eliminates the evil effect of external vibration on the component and enhances its performance. But like anything else in audio it needs to be well designed.
Regarding the height, anytime you change it for a speaker it changes the way sound interacts with room boundaries. That is why a small change in speaker position in any direction, including height, is likely going to impact its performance in the room.
Thanks.

Regarding the height, anytime you change it for a speaker it changes the way sound interacts with room boundaries. That is why a small change in speaker position in any direction, including height, is likely going to impact its performance in the room.

It may hold good for higher frequencies as they are directional, and hence changing the position by a few inches might help / matters..

Lower frequencies, (subwoofer) is omnidirectional.. How does elevating the height of the subwoofer by an inch change anything?.. IMO, it won't help unless & until it is placed/moved to the right spot..

Probably elevating it a few feet high, will change.. Somewhere in the middle height of the room might help..(but, practically impossible)..

Thanks for the help. The bass is boomy. It is humming or I think it's called mid bass, and it should decrease. Only the thump should be felt.

By soft bass I meant the beats are not felt as they should be. The Logitech 10 inch sub did not have a port at the rear. Paradigm has two rear ports.

Then I believe its your room and placement of the sub that should be culprit. Iron those out to begin with.

The room interaction, the way sound waves get reflected by the wall boundaries is not limited to higher or mid frequencies. Every frequency regardless of high or low interacts with the room boundaries, get reflected, refracted or diffused causing peak and null in the room which is clearly audible. For sub-woofer/low frequency, yes it is omni directional and a listener would not be able to identify the direction from where it is originating but he/she would definitely be able to hear it. This is true for all directions horizontal and vertical.
Thanks

One other point on room interaction. Changing speaker position horizontal or vertical is likely going to change the room response. Whether you/listener would be able able to discern it or not depends on the effect of reflection (peak/null) in the seating area. There is no way to predict it because every room is different.
So if you don't hear a change then likely there is no change in the reflection pattern at the seating area but it doesn't mean that the new speaker position didn't change the overall room response.
Thanks.

What does isolation do for a sub on tennis ball.. I feel, a few inches in height wouldn't change anything for bass..

Isolating the sub away from walls/surfaces is the same as moving the sub inwards to the room, away from boundaries..

its not the height. but vibration control which happens with tennis balls. If it was for height, anything would have done that, instead of the tennis balls. They are made of rubber if I am not wrong. works like an real hifi isolation platform. many high end speakers are placed on 'shock - absorber' mechanisms rather than planted down with a spike. This is a cheap way to attain the same. Its a hidden trick done by many people who owns expensive subs. In some houses the floor vibration also will be bad for the sound, Your mileage varies with your sub and your room. Nothing wrong in trying. Looks ackward I agree. It worked for me.

One more video of the same :

its not the height. but vibration control which happens with tennis balls. If it was for height, anything would have done that, instead of the tennis balls. They are made of rubber if I am not wrong. works like an real hifi isolation platform.

Cool.. Didn't realise it was to de-couple vibrations..

Thanks for all the inputs everyone. I will be renovating my house soon and treating it acoustically. Will be making a dedicated home theater room.

The first change I did was the distance and crossover. It has changed the sound a bit. I will try dampening now.

subsatya- Glad to hear that you are able to change the subwoofer response. How did you change the distance? Did you change the distance of the subwoofer on the AVR/pre-processor bass management menu or did you change the physical location of the sub-woofer?
What is your current cutover frequency?
Thanks.

Y
Thanks for all the inputs everyone. I will be renovating my house soon and treating it acoustically. Will be making a dedicated home theater room.

The first change I did was the distance and crossover. It has changed the sound a bit. I will try dampening now.
You can try changing the orientation to 45 degrees. When I had my Logitech z2300 it worked in my room only good at 45 degree. So depending upon room you it may work for you as well.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back