How to play AVI files on DVD?

techlife4me

Hi; how do I play AVI files of torrents downloaded on my PC on my DVD player that does not supports these files?

Conversion is too much of a hassle. Better to connect PC to TV (S-Video, HDMI, etc.)

Or else buy a new DVDP that is DivX enabled. Philips has budget DivX enabled DVD players.

If you can connect a lan to your dvdp or tv, then best option would be to stream the files directly. No conversion hassles for any type of file. There are many decent free software for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you can connect a lan to your dvdp or tv, then best option would be to stream the files directly. No conversion hassles for any type of file. There are many decent free software for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem is that the computer and TV are in seperate rooms and unless I have a mess of wires in my house it can't be done. And since old CRT do not come with usb stick plug in and play option there is no other way to do this.

Buy a basic hd media player from ebay. You can connect it to tv using the composite video or component video out.

Most of the suggestions I have been getting is either buy a new DVD player or convert the files to mp4. I think I'll try the conversion first; then I can also play the converted file on a tablet?

Most of the suggestions I have been getting is either buy a new DVD player or convert the files to mp4. I think I'll try the conversion first; then I can also play the converted file on a tablet?

Previously I was doing the same. After some times I got fedup and go for media player. I think you are following the same path.

Hi; how do I play AVI files of torrents downloaded on my PC on my DVD player that does not supports these files?

There are few options-
1.Even if your DVD is divx enabled it won't play avi cause most of avi's video format is mpeg-4 part 10 where divx enabled dvd player can play upto mpeg-4 part 2. So in that case there is app call convertxdvd..it will convert avi to dvd format.
2.You can get a cheap media player as asus o mini to playback numerous formats.

There are few options-
1.Even if your DVD is divx enabled it won't play avi cause most of avi's video format is mpeg-4 part 10 where divx enabled dvd player can play upto mpeg-4 part 2. So in that case there is app call convertxdvd..it will convert avi to dvd format.
2.You can get a cheap media player as asus o mini to playback numerous formats.

Thanks for your reply. Is this a paid application or available for free on the net? I have one AVI to mpeg 4 converter but some issue with the audio. After conversion I hear only background music not the dialogues. Wonder what is wrong?

DVix is already a very lossy format. I am assuming that you have those 700 mb AVI movies. If you try to convert them, you may suffer further loss of clarity. Secondly, it will take 3 to 4 hours to convert each file. Do you have that much time in your hands. Consider the electricity used, even if it is not much. In my honest opinion, not worth the trouble, hassle and effort.

Hence I concur with suggestions:

a) Buy a DViX enabled DVD player. Burn one test DVD, take it with you for demo. Such a DVD player will not cost more than 4K at most (2.5K more likely). Better still, buy a BD player with DVix capability. If the DVD player has HDMI it may even upscale, although I haven't discovered any appreciable upscale benefits on my BD. My Panasonic BD player plays DVix without issues.

b) Buy a media player for 6-8K. It will be a worthwhile long term investment. One, it will play not only DVix but other formats as well. Two, no need to create DVDs; store the files on the internal disk. Three, it can be carried anywhere; say you go on a holiday and you will be able to play the videos on the hotel's TV.

If buying DVD player, makes sense to buy one with USB input. Then you can simply copy avi file to pen drive and connect to dvd player

DVix is already a very lossy format. I am assuming that you have those 700 mb AVI movies. If you try to convert them, you may suffer further loss of clarity. Secondly, it will take 3 to 4 hours to convert each file. Do you have that much time in your hands. Consider the electricity used, even if it is not much. In my honest opinion, not worth the trouble, hassle and effort.

Hence I concur with suggestions:

a) Buy a DViX enabled DVD player. Burn one test DVD, take it with you for demo. Such a DVD player will not cost more than 4K at most (2.5K more likely). Better still, buy a BD player with DVix capability. If the DVD player has HDMI it may even upscale, although I haven't discovered any appreciable upscale benefits on my BD. My Panasonic BD player plays DVix without issues.

b) Buy a media player for 6-8K. It will be a worthwhile long term investment. One, it will play not only DVix but other formats as well. Two, no need to create DVDs; store the files on the internal disk. Three, it can be carried anywhere; say you go on a holiday and you will be able to play the videos on the hotel's TV.

Brands for media player? Any websites links where I can see them?

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back