How to play .FLAC files

Converting so many files on regular basis then making sure software is correct then change in file size (CD format AFAIK is bigger than FLAC = requiring more space/storage) = cumbersome procedure ... hence my apprehension for conversion. So convert only as last resort :p
Absolutely incorrect, not always!

FLAC is lossless format. If FLAC is converted into any other lossless format like audio CD format, wave or monkeys audio etc. There would not be any loss(assuming using correct software)

However, if FLAC is converted into some lossy compressed format like MP3 and such MP3 is again back converted to FLAC then there there would be quality loss.

FLAC is Free Lossless Audio Codec. FLAC does compress the contents, but it does that without any loss in the information. Example would be - 11111 could be compressed as 1,5 and decoder would expand it back. There is compression but no loss of information.

You are correct that CD format/wav consume more space as these formats just store the data. They would not compress it either with or without loss. Hence these formats give bigger filesize than FLAC because of above.
For correctness of software, all mainstream conversion softwares could be assumed to be doing conversion reliably i.e. they retain as much information as possible.

I'm pro FLAC. I spent 2 months (10+ hours each day) of my life ripping CDs and then tagging them with Tag&Rename.

Now I have a growing collection of FLACs (500 GB+) with all albums sorted and tagged on my PC + external HDD backup. In terms of convenience it sure beats all the CDs and tapes I have. In terms of SQ too the FLACs with an external DAC or onboard sound card like Asus Xonar stack up well with any CDP twice in budget as there is no loss of SQ with conversion to FLAC.

Nice!!!! I'm testing Tag&Rename. Thanks for that.
I'm pro FLAC. I spent 2 months (10+ hours each day) of my life ripping CDs and then tagging them with Tag&Rename.

Now I have a growing collection of FLACs (500 GB+) with all albums sorted and tagged on my PC + external HDD backup. In terms of convenience it sure beats all the CDs and tapes I have. In terms of SQ too the FLACs with an external DAC or onboard sound card like Asus Xonar stack up well with any CDP twice in budget as there is no loss of SQ with conversion to FLAC.

If you select an audio file in Windows 7 (it works with MP3 at least) ID3 tag info appears at the bottom(above the task bar). You can edit this info by clicking on it. This is like in built support for ID3 tag.
Could be fast and enough for applying tag info to few songs.

Also consider audio library softwares to organize audio/video etc(with tag support)

Last edited:
OPPO 93 is a value for money and better way to listen to your FLAC/WAV/MP3 files. You could connect a usb or HDD or could stream them from a server. I have a OPPO 95 and it is a simply mesmerising experience.

The Oppo is certainly a good way to play FLAC; but it lcks a user friendly way to browse the library, queue up tracks and watch the album art while playing. In fact you need to have a projector on to use the Oppo in any reasonable way.

I use a Sonos and with the iPad app it is brilliant. All you need is the CONNECT. If your NAS is far away you can get a BRIDGE and use the Sonos WiFi networking.

Incidental benefits - scalable easily to multi room / multi zone and some great Internet Radio.

Of course it is audio only. Cannot do 96/24 or Video

V Shankar

Dear Shankar ,

I am not into playing music via wifi...I prefer hard wired to avoid the disturbances created by the various fields.
I see you have an oppo 93.... I get the album art, track no., artist details and genre on my PJ and TV screen and playing flac 96/24 is no problem. When you compare OPPO as a standalone universal player with any other in the same league ( and not with a PC) then the OPPO 93 would stand out and beat any player if compared to the price/performance ratio....I am sure you would agree.

Oppo's browsing features when compared to a PC based software are not on par...but I really dont find much inconvenience whilst browsing thru the music on the oppo....i am using a synology server with the oppo 95.

I have just read about the Sonos and heard it in shops but never owned one so would be difficult to comment on a sonos......but I prefer universal player and the my marantz amp can be used via the apple ipad /iphone amp if i need to...cheers

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back