How to play mkv file on Sony Bravia LED tv-a guide

lake1988

I am noticing that people are complaining about bravia led not playing mkv files. So here is a guide on how to play them.
1.Download tsmuxer GUI..it's a freeware.
2.Add the mkv file u want to play.
3.if u select the video track there is an option change level..if it is greater than 4.1 change it to 4.1.
4.now in output select m2ts muxing and point the output to a destination folder and click on start muxing.

You can playback the output file from your usb drive on bravia.

So don't just buy a tv on the basis of playing mkv files..choose tv with best pq and most important what you like.

It will take about 2 min if u are muxing 2 gb file..and so on.

Bravia can read exFAT(where file size support is unlimited),fat32,fat16(file size support 4 gb, disc size support 32 gb).

Pls post if you are having any problem with playback.

mkv is a container and m2ts is also a container. This application only change the container.. doesn't reencode the video..so there is no huge cpu requirement.

Last edited:
How much time will it take plus any option to play from ntfs partitions ?

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

It will take about 2 min if u are muxing 2 gb file..and so on.

Bravia can read exFAT(where file size support is unlimited),fat32,fat16(file size support 4 gb, disc size support 32 gb).

140 views and 1 reply. Guys pls share your experience playing the files on bravia. Ask me if u got any trouble like not unable to play DTS files...I will try to provide solutions.

Helpful Information , I have been also using MKVMERGE to join several avi files into MKV........

Yeah mkvmerge is another app to join into mkv file..but u may try tsmuxer..it can join files also.
If u got dvd file i.e VOB file u can mux them using tsmuxer to .m2ts file and playback on bravia.
If u got PS3..u can play mkv files using the same tsmuxer.

i tried it but no sound comes from bravia......when i play the file muxed file on comp sound comes...but no sound when i play it on tv:( plz help i'll be highly grateful

i tried it but no sound comes from bravia......when i play the muxed file on comp sound comes...but no sound when i play it on tv plz help i'll be highly grateful

can u pls post the file details..i.e video codec,audio codec,container...if u have media player classic installed on your comp..pls play it and post the file property from mpc here.
U can mention what kind of audio u're trying to play dolby digital/dts/mp3/aac...etc.

Last edited:
HI .. Can Sony LED Bravia also read external hard disks ?
I have a 500gb Seagate hard disk, which was not recognized by my Bravia..

yes but what about the external subtitles .srt files? Bravia still can not render them

No bravia can't play srt file.

I've started this thread focusing on how to play mkv on bravia incase you don't have a media player.

It can play dolby digital and mpeg-4 avc codec which are mostly used in mkv.

It is the limitation of m2ts format which prevent srt playback.

If someone wants to play mkv in a tv they can buy those bad sets from other brands.

I have created a 32 gb partition on my 1 tb seagate ex hdd and format it with fat32..which it can recognize as mentioned in the first post.

You can format a partition using exFAT,fat32...remember exFAT has no limitation while fat32 will allow you to make partition upto 32 gb.
Your hdd is probably formatted with ntfs which it can't recognize..just make a small exFAT partition(u can do it in any windows 7 pc) or a fat32 partition then try to plug in.

I've tested it myself.

Bravia does not detect NTFS and probably your disk is NTFS. Try converting to extFAT and I guess it should be possible. Make sure you make backup before converting to extFAT or try with other empty drive first

yes but what about the external subtitles .srt files? Bravia still can not render them

Me think, converting does not account subtitles. I may be wrong as I have different solution .. see below

i tried it but no sound comes from bravia......when i play the muxed file on comp sound comes...but no sound when i play it on tv plz help i'll be highly grateful

My experience is that the volume is audible only above 50 points. Again it depends on how you have converted/encoded. I will let you know if I find more info

140 views and 1 reply. Guys pls share your experience playing the files on bravia. Ask me if u got any trouble like not unable to play DTS files...I will try to provide solutions.

My solution to playing HD content:
I use DLNA to stream the movie. I use Serviio as media center. Here are the steps to get started:
1. download and install Serviio on you computer/laptop
2. connect Bravia to network (wired preferred) where your computer is connected.
3. start the serviio service if not already running
4. start the serviio console
a) On the status tab click "Refresh" button if your TV is not listed. Or Add your TV manually by providing the IP of your TV. You can get to know your TV's IP from "settings" menu of the TV. Select the profile as "Sony Bravia TV 2011". Also make sure there is a green icon adjacent to the IP address in the list. This means media server is able to 'see' the TV.
b) In the library-->shared folders tab select the file/folder containing the file/content to be streamed
c) Play the media from you TV. Go to "Media -- Video/Audio" using your TV remote and you will be able to see the files/folders shared.

Thats it... you are set to go.

Sometimes (about 2-3 times during a movie) the video freezes while audio can be heard. The solution that worked for me is to hook the computer/laptop and TV to the network using wire. Used Cat6 instead of cat5 as I have gigabit network.

Audio is sometimes feeble but it is OK as I get to watch movie only during night. The TV remote is hijacked by my family members during rest of the day/evening :D

BTW, I use Windows XP hence I need media server. I think Windows 7 comes with media server/center. Hence you might not need serviio in such cases.

I will also trying other options. Will post you guys if it goes thru.

Lol bad sets from other brands. Expensive plus Time to convert makes Sony the best brand. And you will have to partition your hd just for your tv. Thats another best part.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

If u didn't notice that it requires 2 mins to mux 2 gb movie..also most mkvs are 4-5 gb..
so if u don't have 5 mins for that(also hdd partition is a one time thing) go buy other brands...who's stopping you.

Tvs circuitry don't have the required power to playback avc codec smoothly(processing like noise reduction,interpolation,enhancements all together)..like many media player got Qedo video processor to do this job..if tv manufacturers started to put this type of chips tv will get very expensive...further avc is a very complex codec..very good pic quality requires very good video processors.

Codec: H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (avc1)
Codec: DTS Audio (dts )
Channels: 3F2R/LFE
Sample rate: 48000 Hz
Bitrate: 1536 kb/s

this is the codec...oi can run the converted file properly in vlc but in tv only video comes but no sound:(

As the audio is dts so it is unable to play the sound...u need to convert dts track to dolby digital track.
Here is a good app to do that...

Code:
http://www.mediafire.com/?c6ky6wglh0n930z
http://www.mediafire.com/?gnn2ncqtwseqxhf

These are hd stream extractor and dolby digital encoder. Download and extract both of them in a folder..then click on HdBrStreamExtractor.exe and add your mkv file. Then click on features and u can see all the tracks i.e avc video track and dts audio track.
Now just check only the dts audio track and from dropdown list of extract as select AC3...and then click on extract.

Your dolby digital audio will be extracted in destination folder. It will take around 3-4 mins.

Now just follow the instruction in the first post..just add your dolby file which has an extension .ac3 and uncheck the dts audio in tsmuxer. After muxing it will be playable in bravia.

Last edited:
I actually don't like to use my comp to stream content..I've used Mezzmo for that purpose which is one of the best media server..It requires u to turn ur pc on and it consumes a lot power.
I have a sony bluray player which consumes very small power and fulfills all media requirement.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back