how to remove the hotspot in the projected image

jayad08

hi,
i am projecting on my wall ( painted with DUCO spray paint).. although the shade was matt off white, i suppose the painter added some gloss by mixing fastner or something similar ( cant remember what was it exactly ).
So now when I am projecting the image.. i see a hot spot in the image..

see the attached image..

Please suggest what are the possible solutions to get rid of the hot spot..

Attachments

• IMG_3300.jpg
    IMG_3300.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 82
hi,
i am projecting on my wall ( painted with DUCO spray paint).. although the shade was matt off white, i suppose the painter added some gloss by mixing fastner or something similar ( cant remember what was it exactly ).

see the attached image..

the image looks brilliant even without a screen , what exactly is a hot spot??

finally which is the PJ u got? and what is the source u using?

Wet sand the area of the screen with 400 grit followed by 1000/1500 grit. Should be enough to look like a new job and remove the hotspot. Mask the surrounding area with draftmans tape and the rest of the wall with newspaper.

overwhelmed..
with this reply i just remembered the scene from the movie "Swadesh" where Shahrukh was overwhelmed and folded hands when she (gayatri joshi) gave a quick answer to the very difficult multiplication..
cranky.. can you just provide some more explanation..
my wall lenght is 112" which gives a 125" diagnol..
what do you mean by 400 grit..
are u saying that i should redo the entire wall or just the hotspot?

the image looks brilliant even without a screen , what exactly is a hot spot??

finally which is the PJ u got? and what is the source u using?

i got the HC3800, setup just yesterday with the projector mount..
for now i have connected my philips DVD player thru HDMI..
but plan to get a HTPC connected with 1080p output to the prj

Wet sand the area of the screen with 400 grit followed by 1000/1500 grit. Should be enough to look like a new job and remove the hotspot. Mask the surrounding area with draftmans tape and the rest of the wall with newspaper.

ok.. after reading 3-4 times :) i have figured out that you would be speaking about sandpaper.. am i correct.. and u specifically mean to sandpaper the particular portion(hotspot)
but why need to cover the rest of the wall with newspaper? isnt taping the boundaries enough

i got the HC3800, setup just yesterday with the projector mount..
for now i have connected my philips DVD player thru HDMI..
but plan to get a HTPC connected with 1080p output to the prj

congrats
MITS 3800 , what abt the issues ? cud u post a review here or on the other site for PJs (upgraditis ) , also let us know the source u got it from US/singapore , also the pricing ---it wud be very helpful

thanks and regards

hi,

see the attached image..

jayad why dont u just get a good screen , it shud solve all problems

congrats
MITS 3800 , what abt the issues ? cud u post a review here or on the other site for PJs (upgraditis ) , also let us know the source u got it from US/singapore , also the pricing ---it wud be very helpful

thanks and regards
well the issues are mostly fixed with the firmware version 3.0, so just had ensure that i got the right version..
for this i contacted the mits office in gurgoan, got the contact of mits singapore and was in touch there with one of the sales managers there..
i was confirmed that the first batch from Japan had issues.. and so waited for the correct batch, got the serial number of the prj which had firmware version 3.0, then got it touch with one of the authorized dealers in singapore..and took it from there..
on a review, maybe today evening i will explore the prj a little more and provide my inputs, but it would be mostly menu based options and setup n all.. picture quality best would be possible through a 1080p source only which currently i dont have..

the total spending on this:
S1900$ ( This was after lots of negotiating and avaiing the offer from mits singapore ), the MRP is S2300$
Shipping from Singpost: S140$
Bank Charges: S30$
Customs Duty: Rs 18,800 (evaluated on $1500USD by customs, even when i had billed it as refurbished with S1000$ :sad: , also couldnt locate any importer such as KMD/TE who get stuff from Singapore)
projector Mount: Rs 2000
WireTransfer from ICICI = Rs 1200 x 2 = 2400 ( for 2 seperate bills )

total = Rs 90,000

Last edited:
jayad why dont u just get a good screen , it shud solve all problems

i spend around 8k for preparing the wall with DUCO paints..
I would definately go for Screen later on, but for now (3-6 months) i want to get the 8k worth

Just in case you manage to wet the wall, or cuff it with some of the residue. Unless you have a very deft hand or know someone who does, this will be very difficult to avoid.

Sorry for the terse reply. Wet sanding is a pretty common process for painting and surface treatment, it involves using a damp sandpaper to scuff up a surface prior to applying the next layer of paint. Wall painters normally use 100 and 200 grit, the finer grades are for automotive works and the finest grades for polishing aircraft shells (10,000 grit :D).

The finer the grade, the higher the polish level. At the same time, too coarse a grade will leave visible marks, so it'll always be a balance between smooth and coarse finish. Clean the paper as you go along - the residue can scuff up the surface pretty badly.

Edit: I assumed the projected area is part of a wall. If it is the entire wall, just don't mask anything and sand the whole screen area. It needs to be uniform, else you'll get imperfections elsewhere.

Beware that fine finishing can show up surface abnormalities that were not attended to in the first phase of painting (that is actually why people wet sand).

you sure that using the wet sand method, i should rub the entire screen?
Also how to take care of the uniformity, should I count the number of times i scrub?

Hi Jaya,

Congrats for purchasing Mits 3800.. Do post reviews soon.

You have missed a chance of making a trip to singapore by ordering thru Vpost.. You could have incurred less expenses than what you have done... Past is Past... Ticket cost is near about 10K to 11k for singapore and dubai...May be i could have taken this assignment for you..:licklips: behalf of KMD..

Last edited:
Hi Jaya,

You have missed a chance of making a trip to singapore by ordering thru Vpost.. You could have incurred less expenses than what you have done... Past is Past... Ticket cost is near about 10K to 11k for singapore and dubai...May be i could have taken this assignment for you..:licklips: behalf of KMD..

:eek:hyeah:
i didnt know about the vPost option, thought that it was mainly for gifting consumer products..my bad not following up the vPost thread..

regarding travelling to singapore, well i gave a serious though to that as well..
roundrip journey was more than 20k, also would have preferred company while travelling so would have come out to be double the cost..
also carrying a prj thru customs isnt that straighforward..dont know about chennai, but in delhi u need to give a cut to the officer if sees something expensive..

Congrats on the Mits buddy. Glad you got the version without any shutdown issues. Don't worry about pricing, it is still less expensive than buying from here IMO.
Hi Jaya,

Jay, remember our telephonic conversation? Even I had suggested you make a trip yourself to Singapore and get some more smaller stuff to make it worthwhile. Even I would have gladly taken up the assignment;).

Congrats on the Mits buddy. Glad you got the version without any shutdown issues. Don't worry about pricing, it is still less expensive than buying from here IMO.

Jay, remember our telephonic conversation? Even I had suggested you make a trip yourself to Singapore and get some more smaller stuff to make it worthwhile. Even I would have gladly taken up the assignment;).

ya.. right that time i was exploring both options.. getting from US or singapore..
thanks santosh.. you have provided great support all throughout
be it discussions on KMD or auditions in bangalore.. u were always there to help..

even though i didnt go with the KMD option, because of the projector firmware issues, still i had that option as backup as u had already tested it..

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back