How to upgrade my stereo system?

visquare

Greetings!
In ancient time (1990-92), as a student and a post-doc in USA, I had assembled a stereo system consisting of:

1. Audio Lab 8000A integrated amplifier
2. Sansui CD Player CD X301i
3. Nakamichi Cassette deck CR1A
4. Infinity Bookshelf speakers (Kappa).

I would like to upgrade this system over a period of an year or so. I need advise on:

1. Which component to upgrade first? My own inclination it to upgrade my intergrated amplifier: Audio Lab 8000, first.
2. What should I substitute it with - my budget is 25,000Rupees.

I live in New Delhi and listen mostly to Jazz and Western/Indian classical but more than occasionally listening to pop and rock.

Thanks
VV

Hi, Audiolab 8000A Integrated Amplifier has earned an international reputation for it's exceptional sound quality, good design. this is a dedicated 2 channel amp. There is a good demand for 2 channel amps. May be you can upgrade on speakers, buy a good floor stander for improved performance. My friend uses Hafler amp bought in 1989 pours out exceptional sound.

Anil

Greetings!
In ancient time (1990-92), as a student and a post-doc in USA, I had assembled a stereo system consisting of:

1. Audio Lab 8000A integrated amplifier
2. Sansui CD Player CD X301i
3. Nakamichi Cassette deck CR1A
4. Infinity Bookshelf speakers (Kappa).

I would like to upgrade this system over a period of an year or so. I need advise on:

1. Which component to upgrade first? My own inclination it to upgrade my intergrated amplifier: Audio Lab 8000, first.
2. What should I substitute it with - my budget is 25,000Rupees.

I live in New Delhi and listen mostly to Jazz and Western/Indian classical but more than occasionally listening to pop and rock.

Thanks
VV

Hi VV,

if you are buying speakers you can consider:

wharfedale diamonds 9.5
JBL e 60
quad 22l
sonodyne sonus 2106

these speakers are available between 25 to 30 k per pair.

Happy listening :)

VV...its a crime to dump the AudioLab. 8000A is a gem of an amp.

You can upgrade the Speakers followed desperately by the CDP.

Speakers: MA BR5 or Diamond 9.5
CD Player: Marantz CD6002 or CA 640c V2

All the best.

VV,

Dont dump your Audiolab amp, its a gem, give it a proper service and have all the connectors cleaned.

The biggest difference will always and always has been the source, hence spend your money on a better CD Player. This will make the maximum difference to your system, later attack the speakers and cables.

Thanks very much for the advise.

I will upgrade my CD player, unfortunately New Delhi is not the best place for buying audio equipments. Have not been able to listen to CA or marnatz CD player.
VV

Wow, sounds like you're a prime candidate for SACD given your listening tastes. You should audition the Marantz SA-4001 player. Price should be in the 30's. Unleash_me had also recommended a good SACD/CD player recently: Pioneer PD-D6 I believe in the low 20's. Perhaps the Delhi folks on here know of a Marantz / Pioneer dealer in your area.

Thanks again for the advise I got from all of you, I have upgraded my system by replacing my old CD player by Cambridge Audio 640C V2. It has improved the quality of sound immensely.
VV

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back