How to use 120V / 60Hz / 200 Watt AV receiver in India

ngnp

Have an US AV receiver with power rating 120V / 60Hz / 200 Watt. Want to use it in India

Have a single phase power connection in my home. Have to be careful choosing the appropriate wattage load consumptions to work everything at my home.

Thinking of using the below chain to use my AV receiver in a normal 5 amp wall socket ( because of only few 15 amp socket available & all were occupied )

230V/50Hz Power supply through 5amp socket -> Vguard digi 200 voltage stabilser ( 6 amp ) -> Maxine step down transformer 110V/0.75 kva or 750 Watts -> 120V-200W Av receiver

Question :

1) How much is the total load consumption in this chain ?
a) Vguard stabilizer 6 amp means -> 1380 Watts power will be consumed?
b) Maxine step down transformer 0.75 KVA means -> 750 watts power will be consumed?
If the above is true, means my total load consumption will be -> 1380+750+200 Watt for AV receiver = 2330 watts ( which definitely I can not use 5 amp wall socket )

or will it be like this :

c) Vguard stabilizer 6 amp means -> 6 amps is only the maximum capacity of load that can be connected & it consumes only about 50 watts for its operation
d) Maxine step down transformer 0.75 KVA means -> 750 watts is the maximum capacity of load that can be connected & it consumes only about 30 watts for its operation
If the above is true, means my total load consumption will be -> 50+30+200 Watt for AV receiver = 280 watts ( which is pretty much safe to use in 5 amp wall socket )

2) Vguard digi 200 has the input plug size 15 amp. In case option 'c & d' is ok, can I use 5amp to 15 amp adapter to plug ? or My 5 amp wall socket will gets heated up & fires if I use with adapter?

3) Does Stabilizer, Step down transformer, AV receiver all in a chain can be connected into one 5 amp wall socket & is it safe?

4) With step down transformer ,
a) Do the AV receiver life or sound quality degrade or heat up much using this step down conversion ?
b) Do the frequency difference ( 60Hz required by AV receiver -> 50Hz from our power supply line ) damage the AV receiver soon?

Like to understand feedback from similar users using US power supply AV receiver with stepdown transformers ( Really working good for years without any issue? )

Have an US AV receiver with power rating 120V / 60Hz / 200 Watt. Want to use it in India

Have a single phase power connection in my home. Have to be careful choosing the appropriate wattage load consumptions to work everything at my home.

Thinking of using the below chain to use my AV receiver in a normal 5 amp wall socket ( because of only few 15 amp socket available & all were occupied )

230V/50Hz Power supply through 5amp socket -> Vguard digi 200 voltage stabilser ( 6 amp ) -> Maxine step down transformer 110V/0.75 kva or 750 Watts -> 120V-200W Av receiver

Question :

b) Maxine step down transformer 0.75 KVA means -> 750 watts power will be consumed?
If the above is true, means my total load consumption will be -> 1380+750+200 Watt for AV receiver = 2330 watts ( which definitely I can not use 5 amp wall socket )

c) Vguard stabilizer 6 amp means -> 6 amps is only the maximum capacity of load that can be connected & it consumes only about 50 watts for its operation
d) Maxine step down transformer 0.75 KVA means -> 750 watts is the maximum capacity of load that can be connected & it consumes only about 30 watts for its operation
If the above is true, means my total load consumption will be -> 50+30+200 Watt for AV receiver = 280 watts ( which is pretty much safe to use in 5 amp wall socket )

2) Vguard digi 200 has the input plug size 15 amp. In case option 'c & d' is ok, can I use 5amp to 15 amp adapter to plug ? or My 5 amp wall socket will gets heated up & fires if I use with adapter?

3) Does Stabilizer, Step down transformer, AV receiver all in a chain can be connected into one 5 amp wall socket & is it safe?

a) Do the AV receiver life or sound quality degrade or heat up much using this step down conversion ?
b) Do the frequency difference ( 60Hz required by AV receiver -> 50Hz from our power supply line ) damage the AV receiver soon?

Like to understand feedback from similar users using US power supply AV receiver with stepdown transformers ( Really working good for years without any issue? )
Have used avr of us voltage with a step down transformer earlier. You can consider a transformer rating of about 1500 watts incase you add some more eqpt to this( to be on the safe side). There would not be any change in frequency though 50 hz is ok. You would require a 15 amps socket to plug in the transformer. Sound wise there would be no problem with using a step down transformer of 120v 50 hz. Have used for almost 10 yrs without any problem.

Go with Maxine Step down transformer ... I was using them for my US model Onkyo amp for more than 5 years. No issues so far.
I dont think you need VGuard Stabiliser here...as Amp will have auto power cut off feature. If you have very frequent voltage fluctuations ,
Maxine have the Power Transformer (which will auto regulate even if the power goes down till 140V) . I am not sure Vguard can do this.

I am using above both Maxine's Step down & Power transformer.

If you are not sure about wattage.. Take the the Amp with you to maxine showroom .. They will guide you to get the right model of Step down transformer. You can also make sure it works fine in the shop itslef. I did the same.

If you cannot carry your amp , Take the picture of power ratting..or user manual which ever is appropriate.

Last edited:
Go with Maxine Step down transformer ... I was using them for my US model Onkyo amp for more than 5 years. No issues so far.
I dont think you need VGuard Stabiliser here...as Amp will have auto power cut off feature. If you have very frequent voltage fluctuations ,
Maxine have the Power Transformer (which will auto regulate even if the power goes down till 140V) . I am not sure Vguard can do this.

I am using above both Maxine's Step down & Power transformer.

If you are not sure about wattage.. Take the the Amp with you to maxine showroom .. They will guide you to get the right model of Step down transformer. You can also make sure it works fine in the shop itslef. I did the same.

If you cannot carry your amp , Take the picture of power ratting..or user manual which ever is appropriate.
My av receiver is rated 200W power consumption. I believe we should not consider av receiver total output channel wattage which is 725W. I Bought 750 watts step down of Maxine considering 200w load. Pl comment whether 750 watts sufficient or 1000 watts required? Can 750w step down plugged into normal 5 amp wall socket?

My av receiver is rated 200W power consumption. I believe we should not consider av receiver total output channel wattage which is 725W. I Bought 750 watts step down of Maxine considering 200w load. Pl comment whether 750 watts sufficient or 1000 watts required? Can 750w step down plugged into normal 5 amp wall socket?
Didn't you check with Maxine Show room about your wattage requirement of your Av revceiver?. If you just show your power ratings of your av receiver they will guide with right step down transformer.

Are you facing any issue with step down transformer with your amp. If the wattage does not match your av receiver itself will not switch on.
Amp has in built power protector switch.
Are you seeing Any power cut off ?. Then check again with Maxine.
I think mine is 750 Watts only. I am not sure about power ratio to wattage calculation.Can any body guide here ?

In my area there was frequent low voltage issues especially during evening.. I had observed a automatic power cut off in my amp during this time.. I was thinking issue is with the step down transformer... then went back to maxine. They recommended power boost transformer in addition to step down transformer, After connecting with this , then the power cut off issue is gone even with low voltage fluctuations (even if can go till 140 Voltage).

Unless there's very low voltage fluctuation in your area you may not need power boost transformer.

You can just buy power strip with fuse + and connect step down transformer --> to amp .
just to double protect high voltage.

By the way can you share the make/model number of your amp.. if possible share the picture of power ratings from your user manual or Amp

Last edited:
Didn't you check with Maxine Show room about your wattage requirement of your Av revceiver?. If you just show your power ratings of your av receiver they will guide with right step down transformer.

Are you facing any issue with step down transformer with your amp. If the wattage does not match your av receiver itself will not switch on.
Amp has in built power protector switch.
Are you seeing Any power cut off ?. Then check again with Maxine.
I think mine is 750 Watts only. I am not sure about power ratio to wattage calculation.Can any body guide here ?

In my area there was frequent low voltage issues especially during evening.. I had observed a automatic power cut off in my amp during this time.. I was thinking issue is with the step down transformer... then went back to maxine. They recommended power boost transformer in addition to step down transformer, After connecting with this , then the power cut off issue is gone even with low voltage fluctuations (even if can go till 140 Voltage).

Unless there's very low voltage fluctuation in your area you may not need power boost transformer.

You can just buy power strip with fuse + and connect step down transformer --> to amp .
just to double protect high voltage.

By the way can you share the make/model number of your amp.. if possible share the picture of power ratings from your user manual or

Question :

does anyone expertised can answer

Question :

Need expertise answers on load consumption for the above chain

Sony STRDH550 rated 120v 60hz 200w

Do the video quality gets affected using 60hz av receiver in a 50hz power supply through step down transformer? Does the receiver supports all video formats in india?

Thank you. However want to know using 60hz av receiver in a 50hz power supply through step down transformer supports all video formats in india? Somewhere I have seen PAL / NTSC formats compatibility issue linked to 50hz / 60hz. Is it so?
or no issues with AV receiver of 60hz & plays all video formats of the source connected ( set top box, dvd... ) in India ?

One more question. It seems the receiver is manufactured in Malaysia for global market & labeled in the device as 120V 60HZ for US market / 220-240v 50hz for other regions. Means does the power transformer inside the receiver is designed commonly ( to make it simpler in manufacturing assembly to cover all global regions ) to handle both 120v 60hz & 220v 50hz ? Do any one seen such a model supplied globally is manufactured with a common power transformer inside?

If it is true, there should be some way to convert internally 120v 60hz -> 220v 50hz by some adjustments. Frequency difference 50hz/60hz no more a hassle

Or if not so, do the receiver becomes hot when connected to step down transformer ( due to 50hz / 60hz difference ) & does it affect the product life span?

Thank you. However want to know using 60hz av receiver in a 50hz power supply through step down transformer supports all video formats in india? Somewhere I have seen PAL / NTSC formats compatibility issue linked to 50hz / 60hz. Is it so?
or no issues with AV receiver of 60hz & plays all video formats of the source connected ( set top box, dvd... ) in India ?

One more question. It seems the receiver is manufactured in Malaysia for global market & labeled in the device as 120V 60HZ for US market / 220-240v 50hz for other regions. Means does the power transformer inside the receiver is designed commonly ( to make it simpler in manufacturing assembly to cover all global regions ) to handle both 120v 60hz & 220v 50hz ? Do any one seen such a model supplied globally is manufactured with a common power transformer inside?

If it is true, there should be some way to convert internally 120v 60hz -> 220v 50hz by some adjustments. Frequency difference 50hz/60hz no more a hassle

Or if not so, do the receiver becomes hot when connected to step down transformer ( due to 50hz / 60hz difference ) & does it affect the product life span?

Power supply frequency (50Hz/ 60Hz) is not related to Video frequency.
You will not have any video related issues if you use equipment made in US in India.
Your equipment will not have any heating issues if you use a 230V to 120V stepdown transformer of a suitable wattage.

So go ahead and use one with confidence.

Regards,

Ravindra.

But there are 2 video standards worldwide : PAL , NTSC.
NTSC is the one in US ( which I read not used other than US )
Countries like UK, India, Europe use PAL standard. Not sure whether this is applicable for HD broadcast.
As this receiver manufactured for US market, will all video formats ( SD,HD... ) will work here without any issue?

Also, does the power transformer inside the receiver is designed commonly ( to make it simpler in manufacturing assembly to cover all global regions ) to handle both 120v 60hz & 220v 50hz ? I've read in some post mostly all manufacturers use the same power transformer inside & it is connected in series / parallel for making it work for 120v or 220v. By shifting the jumpers inside, 120v receiver can be converted to 220v one.
Anyone confirmed this?

60Hz vs 50Hz shouldn't really matter much, unless the 60Hz portion was being used for a clock display or such I read.

Also, does the power transformer inside the receiver is designed commonly ( to make it simpler in manufacturing assembly to cover all global regions ) to handle both 120v 60hz & 220v 50hz ? I've read in some post mostly all manufacturers use the same power transformer inside & it is connected in series / parallel for making it work for 120v or 220v. By shifting the jumpers inside, 120v receiver can be converted to 220v one.
Anyone confirmed this?
Some models do have voltage selector on the back panel and some have provision on the PSU (internal)

The only thing we currently know about your situation is that you have an AV receiver designed for 110V, and you want to run it on 220V.

That isn't a whole lot to go on.
We can take it forward if you are confident enough to remove the cover, take photos of the power supply & upload.

Folks!

It is normal to start your own thread to discuss your problems... here, or on any forum.
But this thread seems to have been abandoned almost immediately by the Original Poster.

I think that anything we're willing to try is helpful... we either sort it, or rule things out...
but as the OP does not appear to be active, there might be no problem. So, let's carry on here and hopefully get it fixed, and if the OP returns then perhaps it will help him as well.

A thread on similar issue:
https://www.hifivision.com/threads/us-sony-str-dh550-usage-in-india.63626/

I could gather these for your reference... see if you can get a lead.

1537535597901.jpeg

1537535619402.jpeg

PRINTED WIRING BOARD – STANDBY DCDC Board (Component Side):
1537536123068.png

SONY STR-DH550 AV RECEIVER video and photos of the interiors:

Last edited:

Question :

I got a quality transformer from Aulten, my requirement was for USA 120v AVR, so had a long chat with Aulten executive, just to confirm the product compatibility and quality, they are very good at providing resolution and transformer quality is excellent.
You can contact Aulten voltage converters at 9811597709, you can chat with them on Whatsapp also.
Aulten 1KVA 800W 220V to 110V Step Down Voltage Converter with Universal Socket (White), this will do the job, I am using the same with no issues, no humming, no heating.
Hope this helps,
Regards

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back