HSU 12" subwoofer driver and VTF-3 amplifier

manniraj

Did someone build a HSU subwoofer using their 12" driver and its pairing with VTF-3 plate amplifier? I am looking at DIY ideas of building a subwoofer as I have got with me and want to build a good sub for my music needs (I do not have any HT presently ;)) I have not seen any DIY build thread using this as it is more of a commercial design by HSU guys.

Thanks

If it is form the living room, H-Frame SW would suit you really well as you have long room! You can place closer to main door with 1.5-2M away from rear wall to have excellent result! The build is super easy and great VFM IMHO. They can be used a curio stand or a teapoy depending on the build size. I find H-frames super effective and VFM!!

If it is form the living room, H-Frame SW would suit you really well as you have long room! You can place closer to main door with 1.5-2M away from rear wall to have excellent result! The build is super easy and great VFM IMHO. They can be used a curio stand or a teapoy depending on the build size. I find H-frames super effective and VFM!!
Thanks Vivek but then H frame comes inside near the door and I might be thrown out of the door in the same speed :D

Thanks Vivek but then H frame comes inside near the door and I might be thrown out of the door in the same speed :D
how do you plan to conceal a normal SW? your days are numbered either ways!!! Given the number of DIY projects that you run, you should have a couple of PG locations handy in case you get evicted !!!!

Yes Vivek you are right, and I have started reducing my stuff by selling some of the items which I have no plan to use it in the future :)
I like the HSU subs with dual ports on the front side but then not sure how a ported sub performs for music and use the sub as a side table just to convince better half.

H-frame would also work as a side table and good with music. I am not pushing my case any further!!! looking forward to your build!

H-frame would also work as a side table and good with music. I am not pushing my case any further!!! looking forward to your build!
Sure Vivek, I will have a look into H frame builds as well if I can use like a side table. Please provide some links to the H frame and I guess you also have built one recently right?

Sure Vivek, I will have a look into H frame builds as well if I can use like a side table. Please provide some links to the H frame and I guess you also have built one recently right?
Linkwitz labs has detailed documentation on H-Frame. I went by @yogibear 's guidance on the build. I picked two pairs of GRS 15 SWs when my parents were in US and built them. I have a pair of drivers per frame. 16 X 32 inches 25MM baffle. Two advices that I did not heed but regret are using MDF instead of ply and not going for double baffle. Thicker the baffle, better for a SW. I spent $100 for the drivers and $70 for build (T-nuts, vinyl wrap, MDF & cutting charges) and another $200 for pro-amp. That's ~ 35K for dual sub :)
If you want you can pick up mine (either a single box or both), try at home and then decide on design.

Product Specifications
  • Nominal Diameter12"
  • Power Handling (RMS)400 Watts

• Impedance4 ohms
  • Frequency Response27 to 500 Hz

• Sensitivity88.78 dB 1W/1m
  • Voice Coil Diameter2"
Thiele-Small Parameters
  • Resonant Frequency (Fs)27.59 Hz
  • DC Resistance (Re)3.27 ohms

• Voice Coil Inductance (Le)2.47 mH
  • Mechanical Q (Qms)4.31

• Electromagnetic Q (Qes)0.45
  • Total Q (Qts)0.41

• Compliance Equivalent Volume (Vas)3.719 ft.³
  • Mechanical Compliance of Suspension (Cms)0.292 mm/N

• BL Product (BL)11.94 Tm
  • Diaphragm Mass Inc. Airload (Mms)113.97g

• Maximum Linear Excursion (Xmax)10.5 mm
  • Surface Area of Cone (Sd)502.7 cm²
Materials of Construction
  • Cone MaterialPaper
  • Surround MaterialRubber

• Voice Coil Wire MaterialCopper
  • Basket / Frame MaterialSteel

• Magnet MaterialFerrite
Mounting Information
  • Overall Outside Diameter12.25"
  • Baffle Cutout Diameter11.05"

• Depth5.61"
  • # Mounting Holes8
Optimum Cabinet Size (determined using BassBox 6 Pro High Fidelity suggestion)
  • Sealed Volume0.741 ft.³
  • Sealed F361.38 Hz

• Vented Volume3.209 ft.³
  • Vented F328.93 Hz

Some FM thoughts sometime back-

Thanks Doctor, any pointers to what the conclusion was with your build? Did you build or went with a commercial one :)

I do have got the 12" sub driver from PE and then a unused VTF-3 plate amplifier from a friend in USA. I do have both the driver and its plate amplifier, so looking for sealed sub design box as googling just gives me the commercial manuals which does not talk about the volume, ports etc.,

Thanks @GeorgeO to see your posts :)
Do let me know what size and dimensions did you use for your HSU sealed ones? I also got my 12" from the PE and its plate amp from a friend VTF3 to make a good sealed or ported sub only for music. The specs say this driver is very good for ported rather than a sealed one and couple of friends over diyaudio forum also suggested the same. But wants to have first hand experience from you having the 10" one to decide which way to go.

Last edited:
I used the broad guidelines from the PE site, IIRC. It's about 2x2x2 ft enclosure made in MDF with a veneer outer surface and the port was a 3 or 4 inch one with an elbow.

The plate amp is an ordinary one from Apex Jr, the sub deserves a better one. Currently I'm building a sub also of similiar dimensions for my nephew. This one uses a 15 inch Dayton Audio sub driver, the last one from diyaudiocart. Also using MDF and teak veneered plywood and corner moulding with pine wood

Both my sons in the US have Hsu VTF subwoofers paired with Altec 2 ways, enclosures are of Birch plywood.Both their systems use Transcendant Sound Grounded Grid preamps and Class A SET amps, one has the Wavelength Audio Bugle design with 45s, the other a 300B.
Both like the HSU subs, though the rest of their systems are also good.

I don't visit this like before, and post very occasionally. I have some ongoing projects, including a pair of 2 way stand mounted monitors using Scanspeak drivers for my nephew. They use 18W8545 Classics midwoofers and D2905 9500 ferrofluid tweeters. These are almost ready, enclosures are being polished prior to mounting XO and drivers. The amp that my nephew uses is an Australian one using 6550 in push pull.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back