HT : Bose or Something else ?

Archit Batra

Hi Fellow members,

I'm a newbie on the forum and the topic of HT, with no knowledge at all on this topic, I need some help and guidance on what to buy.
One of my friends has a Bose Sound touch 520 and I went to his place and fell in love with the experience. But the price is quite discouraging for me. I read through forum queries but it has confused me further.
I have a budget of 65K, and looking for the best combination of AVR + speakers or HTiB. And possibly if the busget permits then a HD projector as well.

Will really appreciate if you can give me suggestions and advise on what to consider and audition. I understand that one's ear is the best judge but i need to declutter before i have a consideration set.

So simple straight advise and possibly a price range will help.
I'm based out of Gurgaon / Delhi.
Room size 20 * 10
TV - Samsung 47"
Purpose: Movies / Music

many thanks in advance.

Hi

First thing.....go window shopping and audition all available systems in showrooms, dealers etc and see what appeals in looks, performance and ofcourse budget...

Share the list of final systems (AVRs + Speakers) that would appeal to you and we will guide you in selecting the best one.....most important.....trust your ears....carry your music....at the end of the day....you are the user who will use the same everyday...all the best

Bose may do the trick for movies, but if you are a serious music listener, they will fall short of expectation.
The search for a system that will hold up for both music and movies start with your budget, room and preferences.
Electronics apart, in my experience, a set of left/right speakers that reproduce 2 channel music can always be made to fit into a movie setup. The other way is normally difficult.
For 65K you can put together a good system, if you piece together over a period of time.
1. AVR + left/right/center
2. surrounds
3. subwoofer (if you need it and your room can handle it)

Cheers,
Raghu

Bose may do the trick for movies, but if you are a serious music listener, they will fall short of expectation.
The search for a system that will hold up for both music and movies start with your budget, room and preferences.
Electronics apart, in my experience, a set of left/right speakers that reproduce 2 channel music can always be made to fit into a movie setup. The other way is normally difficult.
For 65K you can put together a good system, if you piece together over a period of time.
1. AVR + left/right/center
2. surrounds
3. subwoofer (if you need it and your room can handle it)

Cheers,
Raghu

Any suggestions on the AVR + Speakers 5.1. I plan to go all in once. Don't have the patience to wait.
if you can suggest something, atleast I will know where to start. Thanks.

Hi Fellow members,

I'm a newbie on the forum and the topic of HT, with no knowledge at all on this topic, I need some help and guidance on what to buy.
One of my friends has a Bose Sound touch 520 and I went to his place and fell in love with the experience. But the price is quite discouraging for me. I read through forum queries but it has confused me further.
I have a budget of 65K, and looking for the best combination of AVR + speakers or HTiB. And possibly if the busget permits then a HD projector as well.

Will really appreciate if you can give me suggestions and advise on what to consider and audition. I understand that one's ear is the best judge but i need to declutter before i have a consideration set.

So simple straight advise and possibly a price range will help.
I'm based out of Gurgaon / Delhi.
Room size 20 * 10
TV - Samsung 47"
Purpose: Movies / Music

many thanks in advance.

Welcome to the confusion and a never ending journey for the quest of that perfect sound.

As suggested above, you have a very good budget to start with. So visit Reliance Digital outlets, Croma, etc where they have a dedicated AVR Demo. Listen to as many systems as possible. Do not forget to carry your own music, it will help you compare the systems better.

Coming to Bose, there are two worlds, one who love it and the other who hate it. You should listen to them just how you would listen to other systems and decide. Would suggest you take your friend too who owns the Bose system.

All the best.
MaSh

Anything other than Bose would be fine! It's a lifestyle brand, yes. Good for display and the kick for owning a hype-brand born out of marketing ... period!

For a 20 x 10 room, satellite speaker system 'could' fall short. Settle for AVR + bookshelves (L+R+C) initially. Then, as pocket permits, procure the rears, and later a good sub. Many brands available. RTFF.

Anything other than Bose would be fine! It's a lifestyle brand, yes. Good for display and the kick for owning a hype-brand born out of marketing ... period!

For a 20 x 10 room, satellite speaker system 'could' fall short. Settle for AVR + bookshelves (L+R+C) initially. Then, as pocket permits, procure the rears, and later a good sub. Many brands available. RTFF.

Absolutely. Bose needs to be forgotten. :eek:hyeah:

Thanks a lot for the responses, I demo'd the Onkyo 3700 ( asking price 33k), that was the only model available 5700 is going to be available in Feb. So can't decide on just one.

For the $$$ Bose will easily be beaten.
Having said that - IMHO - the best Boses are 601 V2, V3 and V4, 301 and 201 followed by 901 s1, s2 and s6. The 901's are bloody power hungry. You can power a small town with the power needed to make a 901 sing.
However when you buy a 601 or a 201 or 301, no one associates that with the bose brand. The 901 is what people immediately relate with bose.
Anyway 601, 301 and 201 also greatly benefit from tweeter modifications. The 4 tweeters of a 601 really scream to be replaced by ribbon's and mylar and soft dome and piezo etc etc Take your pick, what sounds good depends on your other parameters.

Cool.
Srinath

USP of Bose HT systems is small speaker size not to speak of bragging rights :D. If that's what you need, go for Bose.
I've heard Bose HT sat systems in two large rooms and they did justice to the tracks.
Bose sat systems are good for HT but fall short on music.

Any suggestions on the AVR + Speakers 5.1. I plan to go all in once. Don't have the patience to wait.

Onkyo and Yamaha AVR/HTIB packages. Denon and Pioneer AVRs are also bundled up with speaker packages from other companies.

Hit dealers and showrooms in your city to see what's on offer, listen and decide.

Cheers,
Raghu

Last edited:
Audition Results - 1
Yamaha 2910 : Didn't really enjoy it, seemed a bit muted ..asking price 42k
Onkyo 5705 - Loved the Dolby Atmos and DTS demo. Nice to the ears, asking price 67k

Veterans / Experts : Which one of the two ? and any suggestions on Onkyo 5805?

Archit,
Hifi from another newbie! Please try a couple of auditions starting from the entry level model to mid-range. Only after a real experience would you what you really need. I have lost the craving for FS once I understood first hand the kind of breathing space it needs. Practical issues such as real estate, ability to wall mount, flexibility of budget etc will influence your decision. Also the mix of movies and music is a big factor.

I started off looking out to HT setup like you but now have narrowed down to BS speakers as I realized that music occupies more than 80% of my usage. Waiting period would definitely help you in defining your needs and refining the options.

Happy hunting!

Regards,
Arun

Thanks Arun n Accord , I have been going through auditions and have some preference on onkyo than others (auditioned yamaha, Pioneer, onkyo). Im waiting to hear 5700 as on paper I like the system but hearing it will seal the fate. I'm not a fan of all cutting edge formats n tech as I feel it takes time to mature the content to suit the format and there are multiple tech at the moment which are fighting to establish themselves which is the eventual winner only time will tell. I'm in no mood to be the frontrunner in experimenting with tech. My needs are pretty basic movies music and a great experience in hearing both.
I continue my adventure on looking or should I say hearing the right HT for me in my budget. Fingers crossed!

@Archit Batra
You are looking for a no frills 5.1 setup. This is very mature tech. Are you considering the used market? Here is the reasoning.

A person who bought a budget/mid level 5.1 AVR, 3-5 years ago would have paid a price at exchange rate of USDINR conversion of Rs. 50-55.
The person may be willing to let go of it at say 40-60% of his cost paid (depending on the condition of item). He is happy and you get a fair product at lower price.
New items will be imported at current exchange rates and duties levied. The Rs. 10-15 differential can really bite.
Speakers you can look for stuff that is even 10-15 years old and they will still be good, unless the owner has poured coffee on them.

Think about it. If you put in some time/effort you can piece together a really good system for 50-75K which will beat the performance of any of the new HTIBs today.

Cheers,
Raghu

Thanks a lot for the responses, I demo'd the Onkyo 3700 ( asking price 33k), that was the only model available 5700 is going to be available in Feb. So can't decide on just one.

Where did you audition these? I wanna go for a HTIB in 30k budget. Maybe onkyo 3700 or yamaha yht 299. Denon also has one in the same budget might go for auditioning.

@Archit Batra
You are looking for a no frills 5.1 setup. This is very mature tech. Are you considering the used market? Here is the reasoning.

A person who bought a budget/mid level 5.1 AVR, 3-5 years ago would have paid a price at exchange rate of USDINR conversion of Rs. 50-55.
The person may be willing to let go of it at say 40-60% of his cost paid (depending on the condition of item). He is happy and you get a fair product at lower price.
New items will be imported at current exchange rates and duties levied. The Rs. 10-15 differential can really bite.
Speakers you can look for stuff that is even 10-15 years old and they will still be good, unless the owner has poured coffee on them.

Think about it. If you put in some time/effort you can piece together a really good system for 50-75K which will beat the performance of any of the new HTIBs today.

Cheers,
Raghu

Worth considering and a fair suggestion.... Thanks

Where did you audition these? I wanna go for a HTIB in 30k budget. Maybe onkyo 3700 or yamaha yht 299. Denon also has one in the same budget might go for auditioning.

Went to onkyo dealers at CR Park, Shankar road, for Yamaha went to dealer on MGF Mall. I will be visiting them again for other models that I want to audition specially 5700 onkyo

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back