HT Room - Layout confusion

skn8881

Hi,

I am renovating my house and setting up one room as a HT cum study room.
I currently own :
===========================
Monitor Audio RX6 floor standers
RXC Center speaker
Denon - 2700XH Receiver

Plan to buy Epson 9400

Plan to setup a 5.1.2 in this room along with a projector and a screen.

Option 1: screen along the shorter wall next to the door
Option 2 : screen along the longer wall

The confusion is around the layout for where the screen should be. A couple of AV store experts I have spoken to have mentioned option 1 as the preferred option due to the viewing distance being atleast 12 feet and room for speakers to sound well. That is my designer's option as well. In this option we can probably have the 100 inch screen. if we put 100 inch screen, its approx 8 feet wide + 2 floor standers which take approx 10 feet. That leaves just 1 more foot.
The compromises according to me in this option are
1. The subwoofer cannot be placed besides the floorstanders, it will have to be placed somewhere along the wall closer to the listener
2. The door cannot open fully. it has to open outside or have sliding door
3. the study table will be very close to the couch (left/right of the couch)

I prefer option 2 where the screen is along the longer wall and the viewing distance is approx 10 feet. In this option probably have 92 inch screen. Also the seating, study table etc all come with comfy placements. I have sat at a similar distance from my floorstanders before and it has been a good experience viewing movies and listening to music.
compromise for option 2:
1. screen cannot be more than 92 (due to the throw distance of the projector)

But in the option 2, with viewing distance approx 9.5 to 10 feet, 92 inch screen and the 5.1.2 will be a much more immersive experience than sitting 12 feet away from 100 inch.

What are your opinions guys? Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• home theatre option 1.png
    home theatre option 1.png
    30.7 KB · Views: 46
  • home theatre option 2.png
    home theatre option 2.png
    52.1 KB · Views: 46
Is this for stereo also?
If not, get front bookshelves and install them behind an acoustically transparent screen in option 1.
FM kannan can help get the material. A carpenter can easily make the screen frame.
You need to check projector brightness if this is a dedicated room with full darkness. The 9400 will be too bright for option 2.
In fact, possibly even for option 1.

Also can you have the door opening outward?

Below is my recent setup. AT screen on a wooden frame. Bookshelves behind the screen. Twin subs on the floor below the screen.
The room width is 14 feet, screen is 150", viewing distance is 15 feet. Projector is Epson EH-TW8100. Throw distance 20 feet. Just perfect.
In my earlier setup, I had a throw distance of 14 feet with the same projector. Screen 92". Brightness was a bit high for full darkness.
The 8100 and the 9400 have similar brightness levels.

IMG20200619111130 - Copy.jpg IMG20200223105508 - Copy.jpg

Hi,

I am renovating my house and setting up one room as a HT cum study room.
I currently own :
===========================
Monitor Audio RX6 floor standers
RXC Center speaker
Denon - 2700XH Receiver

Plan to buy Epson 9400

Plan to setup a 5.1.2 in this room along with a projector and a screen.

Option 1: screen along the shorter wall next to the door
Option 2 : screen along the longer wall

The confusion is around the layout for where the screen should be. A couple of AV store experts I have spoken to have mentioned option 1 as the preferred option due to the viewing distance being atleast 12 feet and room for speakers to sound well. That is my designer's option as well. In this option we can probably have the 100 inch screen. if we put 100 inch screen, its approx 8 feet wide + 2 floor standers which take approx 10 feet. That leaves just 1 more foot.
The compromises according to me in this option are
1. The subwoofer cannot be placed besides the floorstanders, it will have to be placed somewhere along the wall closer to the listener
2. The door cannot open fully. it has to open outside or have sliding door
3. the study table will be very close to the couch (left/right of the couch)

I prefer option 2 where the screen is along the longer wall and the viewing distance is approx 10 feet. In this option probably have 92 inch screen. Also the seating, study table etc all come with comfy placements. I have sat at a similar distance from my floorstanders before and it has been a good experience viewing movies and listening to music.
compromise for option 2:
1. screen cannot be more than 92 (due to the throw distance of the projector)

But in the option 2, with viewing distance approx 9.5 to 10 feet, 92 inch screen and the 5.1.2 will be a much more immersive experience than sitting 12 feet away from 100 inch.

What are your opinions guys? Thank you in advance.
I think option 1 is better, Floorstanders sound better that way. If you could increase the screen size to at least 120", by using acoustic transparent screen and moving the fronts behind the screen ; you can have a good HT experience.

Thank you for the advice. I can imagine the option 1 working well only with acoustic transparent screen.
Where can I get good screens like this? Which brands / distributors? I am in Pune. Approx cost under 50k?

In this layout, first will come the console, front 3 speakers then the acoustic screen which is manual/electronic pull down and a lounge sofa at 12 feet viewing distance and 12 feet throw distance for 9400 Epson. Probably a 120 inch will work here!!

btw, can the front floorstanders be behind the acoustic screens? It works well in terms of placement?

Is this for stereo also?
If not, get front bookshelves and install them behind an acoustically transparent screen in option 1.
FM kannan can help get the material. A carpenter can easily make the screen frame.
You need to check projector brightness if this is a dedicated room with full darkness. The 9400 will be too bright for option 2.
In fact, possibly even for option 1.

Also can you have the door opening outward?

Below is my recent setup. AT screen on a wooden frame. Bookshelves behind the screen. Twin subs on the floor below the screen.
The room width is 14 feet, screen is 150", viewing distance is 15 feet. Projector is Epson EH-TW8100. Throw distance 20 feet. Just perfect.
In my earlier setup, I had a throw distance of 14 feet with the same projector. Screen 92". Brightness was a bit high for full darkness.
The 8100 and the 9400 have similar brightness levels.

View attachment 57215 View attachment 57216
how much is the depth of the wooden frame, would be atleast 1 feet?

Thank you for the advice. I can imagine the option 1 working well only with acoustic transparent screen.
Where can I get good screens like this? Which brands / distributors? I am in Pune. Approx cost under 50k?
A fixed screen is best where possible.
Use spandex cloth. There are threads here and videos on YouTube to help you.

A fixed screen is best where possible.
Use spandex cloth. There are threads here and videos on YouTube to help you.
Fixed screen is only possible with a frame when the requirement is for a acoustic transparent screen. If the screen is there on the wall, I understand

Option 1 would be ideal if you can manage to get a 100" - 120" screen size on that wall. With Option 1, you would have some flexibility in placing your sitting position, room for more audience, positioning top and rear speakers when you want to upgrade to 7.1.2 or 7.1.4 configurations in future. Option 1 is also flexible when you change your projector in future as different projector models would have various minimum distance requirements.

For the Screen options, you can also consider the option of projecting to the wall on a premium matte finish white paint. I am projecting to a wall painted with Asian Royale matte white and using this black felt tape border for boosting edge contrast and very happy with the result.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back