HT Setup- Future Proof & VFM

Hi Venkat,

If you are coming here on Dec, i shall accompany you for the audition and i can learn a bit from you too :). I prefer that way. If you are not coming then i shall audition the system and give a review here. But i am just begining my travel in to audiophile area and am not sure i shall be able to grade the system like you people do.

Thanks, Prakash.

Hi Prakash,

Would you be able to inform me in case of an audition so that i would try to join you?

Sid:

Not as yet. I am afraid I cannot travel to Bangalore till Dec 31st as I am looking after my mother who is ninety years old.

I will be auditioning the Q-Balance speakers next week as Raghu of Decibel has managed to get a set. Let me call Pioneer in Bangalore again, and see if they have a piece in Chennai. Other wise we have to wait till first week of Jan.

Sorry about this.

Cheers

In continuation, I just finished speaking to Mr. Suresh of Pro Audiotronics. he told me they are on the verge of finalising a dealer in Chennai, and that we should should a unit in Chennai very quickly.

Cheers

Hi Venkat,

Thanks for the reply, I wish all good for your mother..

As the dealership deal is being finalized i guess we can wait for the Chennai Dealer.

Meanwhile I've a little query - I'm getting Wharfedale 9.5 which is 150 RMS on 6 Ohms, will the AVR - 2309- 100 Watts RMS/ Yamaha 863 - 105 Watts RMS or Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K 135 Watts RMS will be a good pair.? If not then which speakers will be good for these AVRs:confused:?
In addition my room size is 11*13.
Please suggest.

Thanks,
Sid

Meanwhile I've a little query - I'm getting Wharfedale 9.5 which is 150 RMS on 6 Ohms, will the AVR - 2309- 100 Watts RMS/ Yamaha 863 - 105 Watts RMS or Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K 135 Watts RMS will be a good pair.? If not then which speakers will be good for these AVRs:confused:? In addition my room size is 11*13. Please suggest.

The Wharfedale 9.5 are good speakers. Now when a speakers manufacturer says 150 watts at 8 ohms, what he means is that 150 watts is the maximum wattage that the speaker can handle. If you push more than 150 watts, the speaker could be damaged. At the same time, the Wharfedale can also handle something like 20 watts of power.

Any of the AVRs you mentioned will be able to drive the Wharfedale 9.5 well. Generally, unless you want to go deaf, the max wattage you can use will be around 40-50 watts. Beyond that, the sound will become unbearable. I will not go into dB and other calculations, but I am just presenting it to you in a simple manner.

So any of the AVRs will work. What you have to do is to listen to them and see which sound signature you like. Hopefully I will audition the Pioneer in the first week of Jan. The Yamaha 663 sounds very good. I have tried it with three different speakers (EPOS, Canton, PSB Alphas), and it sounded nice on all of them.

As I had mentioned elsewhere I was not too happy with the Denon 1909 paired with Focal SIB. It failed to deliver dialogues properly and the deep thumps of bombs falling in Battle of Britain.But this could have been because of the speakers.

I am not sure how the 2309 will be.

If movies are you forte, just be sure you get a good sub. I have realised they make a tremendous difference unless you buy expensive floor-standers all around. That is not feasible, right?

Cheers

.........just be sure you get a good sub. I have realised they make a tremendous difference unless you buy expensive floor-standers all around. That is not feasible, right?

Cheers

Hi. Would you consider Wharfedale SW150 a good sub at that price point around 19-20K or are their better options.

In continuation, I just finished speaking to Mr. Suresh of Pro Audiotronics. he told me they are on the verge of finalising a dealer in Chennai, and that we should should a unit in Chennai very quickly.

Cheers

Hello Venkat, did you get a chance to audition Pioneer? I think your comments will help a lot of people in this forum.

A comparison study by you on 706 and pioneer 1018 would be great.

Thanks,
Prakash

Hi Prakas/Venkat,

Pioneer has opened a showroom in Delhi recently. I inquired about 1018, they have not configured it for a demo. The salesperson was describing it as a low end product and that why it is not on demo:confused:. However the price is quite high - 49K + Taxes. IMO its better to get a Denon1909/Onkyo706.

The Show room is in Ambiance MALL, Gurgaon.

any comments!

Sid

Hi Prakash,

Did you finalize on your AVR? My requirements are quite similar to that of yours.

Hi Venkat,

Did you get to review the Pioneer AVR? Can you please provide your feedback?

Thanks,
Anil

Hi,

I haven't finalized my AVR yet. Was looking at Onkyo 706. Latest Yamaha series RX-V565 seem to be good in features list. But waiting for review.

Thanks,
Senthil

Hi Venkat, Did you get to review the Pioneer AVR? Can you please provide your feedback? Thanks, Anil

I have no luck with the Pioneer dealer/distributor in Banglaore. Even Raghu of Decibel tried his hand, but it seems the dealer is reluctant to push Pioneer AVRs. There were some talks some time ago of Pioneer entering the Indian market with a bang. The Showroom in Delhi may have been a step one in that direction. But later I heard that Pioneer was exiting out of the consumer electronics business all together. If that happens their AVRs will be the first victim.

It is better to confirm Pioneer's plans before risking one of their AVRs.

Cheers

PS. Some hot news. I just finished talking to Madan of ProAuditronics in Bangalore. He has asked me to send a email and that he will give me information on some dealer in Chennai. If that happens by end of day today, I shall review the system withing a few days and post a review.

Cheers (Again)

I have no luck with the Pioneer dealer/distributor in Banglaore. Even Raghu of Decibel tried his hand, but it seems the dealer is reluctant to push Pioneer AVRs. There were some talks some time ago of Pioneer entering the Indian market with a bang. The Showroom in Delhi may have been a step one in that direction. But later I heard that Pioneer was exiting out of the consumer electronics business all together. If that happens their AVRs will be the first victim.

It is better to confirm Pioneer's plans before risking one of their AVRs.

Cheers

PS. Some hot news. I just finished talking to Madan of ProAuditronics in Bangalore. He has asked me to send a email and that he will give me information on some dealer in Chennai. If that happens by end of day today, I shall review the system withing a few days and post a review.

Cheers (Again)

I thing Pioneer gallary is present in Banglore.

Pioneer gallery is in Blore too in Sigma mall. I went there and they didn't have 1018 for demo. They had only HtiB's for demo. I have given my name and phone number to them and call me once they have the 1018 demo set up. its more than a month and am yet to get a call. meanwhile it sells for 49.9K and it is now THX certified too.

Thanks,
Prakash

I have located a dealer in Chennai who has some model of Pioneer AVRs. I will be visiting his showroom in a dew days and putting up a detailed audition report.

Speaking to the guy on the phone was an eye opener. Other than, 'Yes, yes THX HDMI Sir', and 'when you coming', he had no words of encouragement in terms of the model number or other details. Interesting how these guys do business with such wonderful communication capabilities.

Cheers

Hi All,

I've taken a demo of Pioneer 1018 AH some weeks back in Delhi. The speakers were Polk Audio TSI 300 FS.

Over all I liked it but also found that upper range is too bright. This could be due to FS as they are on brighter side! THX performance is really good, Direct mode is not as neural as Denon 1909/2309. Movie performance is better than Denon's. AS the dealer had only Polk audio so didn't get any chance to pair with other speakers. Wharfedale FS can be a good pairing option with 1018 AH.

The reasons which prevented me to get this one were Price & only 2 HDMI ports. On Web the model showed on Pioneer website was with 3 HDMI ports but models available in Pioneer showroom and other dealers are having only 2 Ports. This is disappointing for such a good AVR > 40 K. Price quoted to me was 49 K +Taxes at Showroom ( Very High) and 43K by dealer where i auditioned it. IMO it should be around 40K. However without bill it was quoted 37K by same dealer :). Also as Venkat has told not sure about Pioneer is continuing it's Consumer Electronics business or not.

I hope Venkat will be able to review one soon, waiting for his expert comments. :D

Enjoy!
Sid

Last edited:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back