HT setup suggestion

Silentpro

Hello ,
I Have recently moved to a flat and i am thinking to switch to Sound bar from an HT setup in my living hall , since HT setup will make Disturbance to neighbours .. Is it a right idea to switch to a high end sound Bar from SONY ? Today i visited SONY centre and took demo . i was impressed with overall sound they have , deep punch , vocal clarity n etc .. I Have Auditioned SONY A7000 SOUND BAR (ATMOS - DTS-X) with Subwoofer and rear speakers .

My current Setup :

AVR - Denon X1500h 7.1.2
L R - QAccoustics 3050i Floorstanders
Centre - Monitor Audio Silver RX
Rear Surrounds - DALI ZENSOR 3 Bookshelves
Cieling speakers for ATMOS - MICCA cieling speakers
SUB - KLIPSCH R120

I Have Auditioned SONY SOUND BAR 7.1.2 (high end from SONY) Model - HT A7000

Did anyone used this SONY Model ? Kindly help me to get an idea whether its good to go or to stay with Current System .

From your kind of setup, at least I won't be able to move to a soundbar. I would just listen to existing setup at a volume which won't disturb the neighbours.

From your kind of setup, at least I won't be able to move to a soundbar. I would just listen to existing setup at a volume which won't disturb the neighbours.
Even I assume same bro . But after auditioning Demo at sony centre Dolby atmos looks so accurate and natural . Crispy vocals and stunning surround feel ..
But I dono what's going down in my AVR setup . 🤔 I'm not feeling that punch which sony gave in soundbar + surround setup

Even I assume same bro . But after auditioning Demo at sony centre Dolby atmos looks so accurate and natural . Crispy vocals and stunning surround feel ..
But I dono what's going down in my AVR setup . 🤔 I'm not feeling that punch which sony gave in soundbar + surround setup
Which also means you cannot have sustained or listening sessions with the same “punch”. It’s possible that the Sony’s volume and tone controls were cranked all the way up to wow you into buying that setup in the demo space. If I were you, I would tweak the current set up. Have you considered buying the Audyssey app, which costs a few thousands? (Assuming the app supports your AVR model.). My system’s (Marantz SR 6013) sound changed remarkably after using the app. It’s also likely that you have a timbre mismatch amongst your speakers since they are from different makers. Is that a reason for the lack of punch? Perhaps not; but the lack of cohesion in sound can negatively impact your overall experience.

Which also means you cannot have sustained or listening sessions with the same “punch”. It’s possible that the Sony’s volume and tone controls were cranked all the way up to wow you into buying that setup in the demo space. If I were you, I would tweak the current set up. Have you considered buying the Audyssey app, which costs a few thousands? (Assuming the app supports your AVR model.). My system’s (Marantz SR 6013) sound changed remarkably after using the app. It’s also likely that you have a timbre mismatch amongst your speakers since they are from different makers. Is that a reason for the lack of punch? Perhaps not; but the lack of cohesion in sound can negatively impact your overall experience.
I agree sir .. any tweaks and changes do u advise me to change and see how it sound in my AVR . ?
Bass is not tight , and instruments detailing in songs are missing what I feel .
I have Reference mode .. do I need to change to flat or bypass ? I Don see much difference in them also I haven't tried manual eq.

Hello ,
I Have recently moved to a flat and i am thinking to switch to Sound bar from an HT setup in my living hall , since HT setup will make Disturbance to neighbours .. Is it a right idea to switch to a high end sound Bar from SONY ? Today i visited SONY centre and took demo . i was impressed with overall sound they have , deep punch , vocal clarity n etc .. I Have Auditioned SONY A7000 SOUND BAR (ATMOS - DTS-X) with Subwoofer and rear speakers .

My current Setup :

AVR - Denon X1500h 7.1.2
SUB - KLIPSCH R120

Did anyone used this SONY Model ? Kindly help me to get an idea whether its good to go or to stay with Current System .
Hi Silent Avaru,
My two cents:
1. You have a very competent set-up.
2. An MA Centre with a QA L-R can NEVER be replaced by a soundbar, even the best that Sony's offering this year.
3. You can always tone down the bass SPL via night mode on the Denon. If your Denon doesn't have night mode, there are manual ways to do it.
4. First move into the new space, plonk your set up, work on setting it up in that space. See how it sounds. Then decide if you want to DOWNGRADE to a soundbar.
5. I also was moving into an apartment, and had the same worry as you. But as many FMs will attest, some Indian builders do deliver great concrete floors. Find out if your floors are 18-inch poured concrete. In India, depending on top level builders, 18-inch poured concrete or two-feet poured concrete are common. If your house is thus, no worries, just carry the whole system and blast it. No worries.
6. Even if you are worried, I'd like to share an experience with you: While I maintain a level of decorum with my SPLs, last New Years, someone in my building had a rocking NY party. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out where the bass was coming from. Besides that one instance, there have been zero complaints from me, or for that matter, about me, in our building.
7. Ergo, we all overrate our subs. Your Klipsch might shake your seat, but it will be bleeding bass outside your room, leave alone the home or the floor below.
8. That link starts with a clear disclaimer that it is sponsored.
9. Homes abroad are made of less durable material than concrete. When they say apartment, there is no equivalent in the Indian context.
10. So, just go ahead, carry your system, and enjoy.

Save yourself a 2-lakh expense.

Put it in making your living room look good, cos some time I will come visit en route to Kabini :D

Last edited:
Hi Silent Avaru,
My two cents:
1. You have a very competent set-up.
2. An MA Centre with a QA L-R can NEVER be replaced by a soundbar, even the best that Sony's offering this year.
3. You can always tone down the bass SPL via night mode on the Denon. If your Denon doesn't have night mode, there are manual ways to do it.
4. First move into the new space, plonk your set up, work on setting it up in that space. See how it sounds. Then decide if you want to DOWNGRADE to a soundbar.
5. I also was moving into an apartment, and had the same worry as you. But as many FMs will attest, some Indian builders do deliver great concrete floors. Find out if your floors are 18-inch poured concrete. In India, depending on top level builders, 18-inch poured concrete or two-feet poured concrete are common. If your house is thus, no worries, just carry the whole system and blast it. No worries.
6. Even if you are worried, I'd like to share an experience with you: While I maintain a level of decorum with my SPLs, last New Years, someone in my building had a rocking NY party. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out where the bass was coming from. Besides that one instance, there have been zero complaints from me, or for that matter, about me, in our building.
7. Ergo, we all overrate our subs. Your Klipsch might shake your seat, but it will be bleeding bass outside your room, leave alone the home or the floor below.
8. That link starts with a clear disclaimer that it is sponsored.
9. Homes abroad are made of less durable material than concrete. When they say apartment, there is no equivalent in the Indian context.
10. So, just go ahead, carry your system, and enjoy.

Save yourself a 2-lakh expense.

Put it in making your living room look good, cos some time I will come visit en route to Kabini :D
Thank u so much 💓 for the detailed info .. ur most welcome to visit my place... 😇.
One thing I notice is Indian video songs of 5.1 has some bass missing in some and I need to add more bass to listen to it and later while playing other song it require to less bass . So how u guys will maintain it ?? In sony 3years ago I had W9200 it was maintaining good .. so any suggestions on improving deep bass ? I get loose bass sometimes . While watching ATMOS contents it will b a tight bass , rest other contents I dono I Don feel the same from sub . .as of now I'm using reference as audessey mode , tried LR bypass and flat . I dint like it . Do I need to tweak in manual eq ? Or wt do u suggest sir ? As Audessey settings from mic has put -12 for sub in tone settings level . I Don think it's a right level . So kindly help . Thanks 😊

Hello ,

My current Setup :

AVR - Denon X1500h 7.1.2
SUB - KLIPSCH R120

Denon X1500h is a 7 channel AVR, so is it a 7.1.2 setup or 5.1.2? General wisdom would say to stay with discreate setup

Could the size and furniture of the demo room be crucial? The identical sound bar might not function properly in your space. Can you obtain a UMIK mic for a short period of time so that you can use REW software to determine what isn't working in your room? Playing with the sub placement, phase control, and levels may be helpful if the issue is the bass. However, the Speaker + Denon synergy is probably responsible for the vocal clarity.

Could the size and furniture of the demo room be crucial? The identical sound bar might not function properly in your space. Can you obtain a UMIK mic for a short period of time so that you can use REW software to determine what isn't working in your room? Playing with the sub placement, phase control, and levels may be helpful if the issue is the bass. However, the Speaker + Denon synergy is probably responsible for the vocal clarity.
Thanks . Where to find REW software ?

I too living in a apartment. I have 7.1 klipsch reference speakers and optoma projector.
it is not any disturbance to neighbors.

Denon X1500h is a 7 channel AVR, so is it a 7.1.2 setup or 5.1.2? General wisdom would say to stay with discreate setup
I think this is an underrated question.
Kindly share your set up so that more knowledgeable FMs could help with the bass problem.

Thank u so much 💓 for the detailed info .. ur most welcome to visit my place... 😇.
One thing I notice is Indian video songs of 5.1 has some bass missing in some and I need to add more bass to listen to it and later while playing other song it require to less bass . So how u guys will maintain it ?? In sony 3years ago I had W9200 it was maintaining good .. so any suggestions on improving deep bass ? I get loose bass sometimes . While watching ATMOS contents it will b a tight bass , rest other contents I dono I Don feel the same from sub . .as of now I'm using reference as audessey mode , tried LR bypass and flat . I dint like it . Do I need to tweak in manual eq ? Or wt do u suggest sir ? As Audessey settings from mic has put -12 for sub in tone settings level . I Don think it's a right level . So kindly help . Thanks 😊

As another forum member has mentioned, yours is a competent set up.
1. -12 db for the sub is too low. Are you too close to the sub? Your 12 inch Klipsch sub can really move air (I had a 15 inch Klipsch).
2. Audyssey usually dials down the sub volume. I do not know about your room dimension, but the sub needs room to breathe. You can try moving away a little farther from the sub, and cranking up the sub gain on the AVR.
3. Content: I think the content you heard on the Sony was meant for demos. Did you carry your own content and try on the Sony Soundbar ? (it also likely to be optimised for a mid bass frequency response. Forget about extension and timing). Most audio content on YouTube are compressed. And good set up like yours will simply reveal their flaws.
4. Have you tried increasing the channel gain for the Center channel? As I mentioned above, Audyssey dials down the channel gain. No harm in increasing them with 1 or 2 dB increments until you like what you are listening. I have increased the channel gain to my liking post the Audyssey set up.
5. Location. Have you moved around the sub to find the sweet spot? It has been discussed to death on the internet. Hard work, but worth it when you find the sweet spot.
For me, using the Audyssey mobile app made a remarkable difference to my setup. It costs a few thousand INR, but worth the investment.

As another forum member has mentioned, yours is a competent set up.
1. -12 db for the sub is too low. Are you too close to the sub? Your 12 inch Klipsch sub can really move air (I had a 15 inch Klipsch).
2. Audyssey usually dials down the sub volume. I do not know about your room dimension, but the sub needs room to breathe. You can try moving away a little farther from the sub, and cranking up the sub gain on the AVR.
3. Content: I think the content you heard on the Sony was meant for demos. Did you carry your own content and try on the Sony Soundbar ? (it also likely to be optimised for a mid bass frequency response. Forget about extension and timing). Most audio content on YouTube are compressed. And good set up like yours will simply reveal their flaws.
4. Have you tried increasing the channel gain for the Center channel? As I mentioned above, Audyssey dials down the channel gain. No harm in increasing them with 1 or 2 dB increments until you like what you are listening. I have increased the channel gain to my liking post the Audyssey set up.
5. Location. Have you moved around the sub to find the sweet spot? It has been discussed to death on the internet. Hard work, but worth it when you find the sweet spot.
For me, using the Audyssey mobile app made a remarkable difference to my setup. It costs a few thousand INR, but worth the investment.
Hello , Since I live in a flat . I have placed sub near TV unit and hall dimensions 12X13 .. so there is no place other than this for sub to move also cable of sub don't have much length. So , 12inch - 400wts sub is large for this hall ? Or do I need to downgrade to 10inch 300wats sub ?? Also I have tried centre channel increasing dB. But some contents needs it to increase and some needs to lower it . Some hindi contents like 5.1 songs required to low down dB of centre . And some from eng movies required to increase it . So how do u guys maintain it .? Also same with sub levels . Some songs require more n less ...

So , 12inch - 400wts sub is large for this hall ? Or do I need to downgrade to 10inch 300wats sub ?
No need to downgrade. Having reserve power (headroom) doesn’t hurt.

Sometimes, I tweak the channel gain on the AVR if the source content sounds weak. I think you should try the Audyssey mobile app (worked for me!).

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back