HTIB vs AVR system

pankaj013

Hi

I am looking to buy a HTS but and confused between a HTIB or a AVR+DVD player combo. In the HTIB I have shortlisted the Sony DZ570 but I have heard
that Sony is not so good with playing DVDs that we generally get from our rental guys (scratched and sometimes copies of originals). Also because of the dust and all the DVD player tends to get bad often and that means the whole HTIB is gone for a toss. So I am thinking of a good AVR with a LG/Philips/Onida DVD player that is less punishing with bad quality DVDs/VCDs and I can always change the DVD player if it goes bad while keeping the AVR. Now the question is if my assumptions are true what are the pros of a HTIB vs AVR+DVD because I see most people buying HTIB. Also can somebody recommend a good AVR+DVD combo that I can buy. My budget is 20K and will be used mostly to see rental movies and listen to music (mp3 mostly).

Cheers
Pankaj

In a total budget of 20 K, your best option is probably to go for the Onkyo HT-S3100 that is being offered at ezone/Reliance Digital with free DVD player.
You may need to get the offered DVD player exchanged to a Onida DVD player whiose biggest marketing positioning seems to be its ability to play scratched DVDs.

Hey this onida-onkyo hts 3100 is becoming a popular choices yaar!.
i have the same combination,so as my couple of other friends.
Any way,With your budget,3100 is ur best bet for now,The AVR which comes with the package is pretty decent as it also supports HDTV.it also offers you good performance when comes to sound and video.

Vj

Thanks for the inputs guys. I went and checked out the Onkyo 3100 but somehow found the volume very low. So I went ahead and picked the Sony 570 HTS along with the Sony 32V400A LCD. Set it up yesterday and I must say I am loving it :).

Cheers
Pankaj

mm,HT s 3100 sounding low!!Thats pretty weird.:confused:
Any way you have ur HT setup done.
Have a good time and do share ur experiences with us.

Vj

Even I was a bit puzzled but putting the volume at half way the dialogues in the demo DVD were not even audible even though I was in the demo room at E-Zone. At near to full volume it was amazing but low volume the dialogues were just not clear. Maybe the problem was with the E-zone setup. Also since I picked the Sony LCD, I got nightmares thinking about managing 4 different remote controls - Set Top, LCD, DVD and Onkyo AVR. With a combo Sony LCD + HTS I can live with two remotes - Set Top + HTS :)

Cheers
Pankaj

Ya it all depends on the type of content you play and the source and setup too.
For example,when i play king kong in my HT,i really need to crank the vol to 50 for a nice effect,where as when i play the movie U 571,damn i cant go any further than 45,particularly the depth charge scene,it blows the hell out of ur sub.
you can go for the universal remote solution from logitec if its hard for u to live with many remotes.

Vj

Even I was a bit puzzled but putting the volume at half way the dialogues in the demo DVD were not even audible even though I was in the demo room at E-Zone. At near to full volume it was amazing but low volume the dialogues were just not clear. Maybe the problem was with the E-zone setup. Also since I picked the Sony LCD, I got nightmares thinking about managing 4 different remote controls - Set Top, LCD, DVD and Onkyo AVR. With a combo Sony LCD + HTS I can live with two remotes - Set Top + HTS :)

Cheers
Pankaj

Hi Pankaj,
I believe this is almost standard across receivers - you really need to crank it up for the highest volumes (volume increases slowly initially and in some exponential fashion towards the end). Denon and Onkyo are bad, and Marantz even worse on this.
Anyway congrats on your purchase.

Hey this onida-onkyo hts 3100 is becoming a popular choices yaar!.
i have the same combination,so as my couple of other friends.
Any way,With your budget,3100 is ur best bet for now,The AVR which comes with the package is pretty decent as it also supports HDTV.it also offers you good performance when comes to sound and video.

Vj

Hi Vj,
I realise that you are very happy with Onkyo-3100s, As I am also planning to buy HT and only this model is available here in my city, I would like to know what other models you have tried/experienced and what about the LFE? Is the sub producing much impact with eng action films and whether it is suitable for a small room (12x15). Please advise.

Abhilash

I believe this is almost standard across receivers - you really need to crank it up for the highest volumes (volume increases slowly initially and in some exponential fashion towards the end). Denon and Onkyo are bad, and Marantz even worse on this.
Anyway congrats on your purchase.

Is this based on your 'owners experience' or heresay? since there could be something wrong with the set-up on which you may have heard these brands.

Hi Vj,
I realise that you are very happy with Onkyo-3100s, As I am also planning to buy HT and only this model is available here in my city, I would like to know what other models you have tried/experienced and what about the LFE? Is the sub producing much impact with eng action films and whether it is suitable for a small room (12x15). Please advise.

Abhilash

abhilash,

If you are still in the market, the HT3100 absolutely rocks for the price range. Go for it!!!

abhilash,

If you are still in the market, the HT3100 absolutely rocks for the price range. Go for it!!!

Well yes I am in market but till saturday only.You are right about HT3100 but now I have decided to go for separate AVR & speakers. My budget is 24000/- max.I have shortlisted following models in order of priority:
Ist : Onkyo TX SR 506
2ND : dENON 1509 (1508 is not available in Hyd)
2ND: TX SR 505
Speakers :
* Jamo 406 HCS-1 (Due to tight budget)

Suggestions please.

Well yes I am in market but till saturday only.You are right about HT3100 but now I have decided to go for separate AVR & speakers. My budget is 24000/- max.I have shortlisted following models in order of priority:
Ist : Onkyo TX SR 506
2ND : dENON 1509 (1508 is not available in Hyd)
2ND: TX SR 505
Speakers :
* Jamo 406 HCS-1 (Due to tight budget)

Suggestions please.

Ok, that's good. I suggested the HT3100 only because I picked it up for Rs. 19,990 and it came with Philips DVD/DivX player with HDMI thrown in. In fact I had gone to shop for a DivX player but ended up picking the HT3100 and a Panasonic TV too since the deals at Reliance Digital were good. Only thing with the HT3100 is it does not support HDMI, but I am getting an Oppo upscaling DVD player so that's not an issue for me.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back