HTiB vs Separates - What should I go for within 30-35K?

i wont suggst any entry level avr for fs,however many people use it and says having no problem.
for cinema use btw a solid sub is more imp than fs..bs is perfectly fine
yamaha service is good.so is denon and onkyo.go for that whose sound u like.

there is a used rti on sale thread..can check that..although that would be very power hungry...it is the higher one..

anyway wharfe 9 is good vfm can buy that

Go for Yamaha RX-V373 AV. Its very good. Denon 1612 is a outdated model. You may encounter service support if you buy outdated models.Yamaha RX-V373 AV can drive FL. Just remember that a loudspeaker is only as good as the signal it
gets. Your amplifier should have ample reserves of power - a low powered amplifier could easily run out of steam and the
resulting distortion is unpleasant to listen to and could damage your speakers.
A larger amplifier will usually sound better and enhance the reliability and performance of your loudspeakers. Always turn
down the volume if the music starts to sound distorted.
I have found that Wharfedale Centre Speakers have exceptional voice clarity. So decide after you demo Wharfedale.

I will be going for demo tomorrow at Impressia, Profx and Harmony Audio...and thanks guys for your great advice.

:)

Last edited:
Go for Yamaha RX-V373 AV. Its very good. Denon 1612 is a outdated model. You may encounter service support if you buy outdated models.Yamaha RX-V373 AV can drive FL. Just remember that a loudspeaker is only as good as the signal it
gets. Your amplifier should have ample reserves of power - a low powered amplifier could easily run out of steam and the
resulting distortion is unpleasant to listen to and could damage your speakers.
A larger amplifier will usually sound better and enhance the reliability and performance of your loudspeakers. Always turn
down the volume if the music starts to sound distorted.
I have found that Wharfedale Centre Speakers have exceptional voice clarity. So decide after you demo Wharfedale.

Denon XX12, XX13 denote the respective years it is released... XX12 for 2012 & XX13 for 2013 models... So you mean a receiver of last year (2012) is outdated :sad:.. Think abt ppl who own old to very old receivers....

Its not that it can't be serviced... It can..But you might have to go thru a bit of pain in finding the right place.. Thatz all..

I bought an 10 years old used Marantz receiver which went defective after i bought it.....With help from Forum members, i was able to service it & it is working fine...

Last edited:
ProFx offers some good deals on previous gen models. Bargain HARD. At least 25% off the list price.

There is a ex-demo previous gen Yam for sale at the Karaya Road outlet.

HD Audio decoding AVRs won't become obsolete anytime soon. Hell, with an older AVR you could relish HD Audio through Ext In provided your player has the option.

If you are planning for a Yamaha 373, the best price is on pepperfry.com. I got it for 23.8k about 15-20 days ago.

If you are planning for a Yamaha 373, the best price is on pepperfry.com. I got it for 23.8k about 15-20 days ago.

I guess you are talking about this one? Price quoted is Rs.24,656/-.

But how is this site pepperfry.com? Have never used it nor have heard from anyone close to me using it.

First confirm whats the Price in Kolkata shop. If its available in Kolkata within 27k then I would not take the risk to get in from pepperfry.com

I guess you are talking about this one? Price quoted is Rs.24,656/-.

But how is this site pepperfry.com? Have never used it nor have heard from anyone close to me using it.

After you apply the discount code of LEMF15PER, you will save additional Rs 800 and the effective price will be 23.8k I used pepperfry after reading a lot of user reviews and it was totally worth it. It comes with manufacturer guarantee of 1 year. You can read the following thread for more: http://www.hifivision.com/surround-amplifiers-receivers/15250-avr-pricelist-55.html#post506010

Is pepperfry.com is an authorized e-retailer for Yamaha? Please send a email to Yamaha India to confirm it. Otherwise they might not honor the warranty.
Another risk, Indian courier service is always known for bad handling of products. What if you receive a damaged product (Because I think it will be shipped from Mumbai or Bangalore)

Look at the return policy of the pepperfry.com

Returns Policy

This product is covered under Manufacturer warranty. In case of manufacturing defect you can visit the Manufacturers nearest service centre for repair / replacement (as mentioned in the Manufacturers warranty policy). Please retain the invoice to claim the warranty. To know about the nearest service centre you can visit the Manufacturer website. For any further clarifications do not hesitate to get in touch with our friendly customer care folks

It never says what they will do incase you receive a Dead on Arrival/ damaged during transit product. They won't take the responsibility. They will refer you to Yamaha service station and Yamaha service people will not honour the warranty incase of physical damage. So what will you do then?

For example : Flipkart takes back any damaged or faulty electronic goods withing 72 hrs if you call and report them.

Is pepperfry.com is an authorized e-retailer for Yamaha? Please send a email to Yamaha India to confirm it. Otherwise they might not honor the warranty.
Another risk, Indian courier service is always known for bad handling of products. What if you receive a damaged product (Because I think it will be shipped from Mumbai or Bangalore)

Look at the return policy of the pepperfry.com

It never says what they will do incase you receive a Dead on Arrival/ damaged during transit product. They won't take the responsibility. They will refer you to Yamaha service station and Yamaha service people will not honour the warranty incase of physical damage. So what will you do then?

For example : Flipkart takes back any damaged or faulty electronic goods withing 72 hrs if you call and report them.

Even I couldn't find any return policy for damage in transit goods for pepperfry.com.

@Rupam, e.g. the onkyo website clearly states that they do not have any online business/ distribution partner and in Calcutta the only two authorised dealers are Promises and Reliance Digital but we see plenty of online ads selling Onkyo to Calcutta and hopefully some other shops too...will onkyo ensure warranty if purchased from shops other than listed on their website? I don't think so.

And as per the website of Yamaha, there are three authorised dealers in Calcutta - Impressia, Imagine and Reliance Digital.

Just back from Impressia and Profx.

First of all I would like to inform that Impressia (A V Square) has shifted from Karya Road to Raja Basanta Roy Road near Lake Market/ Rash Behari Crossing/ Kalighat Metro Station.

The new address is 39, Raja Basanta Roy Road, Kolkata 29.

I went there few hours back and demoed the Yamaha AVR V373. First with two floorstanding in stereo mode and then demoed it with bluray with full 5.1 set up. The MRP is Rs.28,990/- but they are offering it for 27K.

I am quite impressed with the demo as the quality of music was very soothing and I liked the sound. Even the 5.1 set up for movies was very powerful. And after all it is coming within my budget too.

Thereafter I went to ProFX at Hindustan Road. They do not have any XX12 (12 series) Denon in their stock.

They quoted Denon 1713 for 34K (the MPR was Rs.36,990/-). When I told them that I'd like to use Floorstanding, they said not go for Denon 1513 (Price quoted is around 25K) as they will not support the FS properly. How far is this true? Unfortunately, they could not offer me a demo since there is some restructuring going on in the demo room.

I am planning to go to Harmonie Audio today later or tomorrow...

What will be a good buy? Yamaha 373 (27K) or Denon 1713 (34K)

Thanks.

I will go for Yamaha 373 because of its musical capabilities. But if you prefer Audyssey room calibration then go for Denon 1713. Yamaha also has its Proprietary YPAO calibration system. Which one is better, is a matter of debate. But Audessey XT equalises the sub as well which YPAO can't. But personally I like the sound of Yamaha, its beautiful. This AVR has won the What Hi fi Best budget Award. Yamaha RX-V373 review from the experts at whathifi.com

But remember, choice of AVR will also affect the speaker choice. Yamaha has brighter sound whereas Denon produces a warmer sound. So you need to choose speakers accordingly.

Last edited:
Even I am thinking of going for Yamaha 373 because I my priorities are both movies and music (50:50)... and I liked sound of it, though produced by Yamaha speakers. And the shop is 5 mins walking distance from my place too. :eek:hyeah:

And Denon 1713 will be around 34K which is 7K more than Yamaha and it will also exceed my budget for AVR.

I went to Harmonie Audio today for demo. I wanted to have a demo of 1513 but it wasn't available for demo. But Mr. Vasu told me to have the demo with Denon 1312. He said that if I like 1312, I am definitely going to like 1513.

So I demoed the Denon 1312 with 5.1 user speakers and was really blown away by it. The demo room was superb too just like Mr. Vasu.

Denon 1513 is available for Rs.24,300/-.

However, as referred by the FMs, I wanted to try wharf diamond 9 center but I was told that series 9 is not available any more and the entry level center for 10 series costs 14K.

One important suggestion give by Mr. Vasu. He told me to get the Fronts/ Mains and the center from the same brand and series. He even recommended to have the entire speakers from the same brand and series so that the frequency matches, but he said at least the fronts and center should be from the same batch and series no matter which brand I select.

Overall it was a very good experience.

Now I have to decide between Denon 1513 (24.3K) vs Yamaha 373 (27K).

Yes.. Bettr if you have left, center & right speaker from the same brand, same family...

If you are considering wharfedale's, a pointer for you...

The center channel could be easier to dive by an amplifier since the sensitivity/efficiency is more.. (Around 89db) i guess.. But if you were to pick the left & right from diamond series, they are low on sensitivity around (86db) & present a tougher load o the amplifier (6 Ohms)...

Diamonds need good to very good power to shine...

You may also consider the PSB Alpha series speakers... Should retail around the same price as diamonds... But more efficient /Sensitivity than diamonds > 90db), 8 Ohms load - easy for entry level amplifier...

After going through all the very valuable suggestions provided by the experienced and ever helpful FMs here, and with demo and other relevant research but obviously considering my budget, I have finally decided to go for Yamaha 373 :yahoo:

Hope it will be a good investment in avr for the next 4-5 years...

After going through all the very valuable suggestions provided by the experienced and ever helpful FMs here, and with demo and other relevant research but obviously considering my budget, I have finally decided to go for Yamaha 373 :yahoo:

Hope it will be a good investment in avr for the next 4-5 years...

Congrats ! How about the speakers? Have you made up your mind?

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back