HTiB vs Separates - What should I go for within 30-35K?

Congrats ! How about the speakers? Have you made up your mind?

I haven't decided yet but what I am planning is to get a center with the avr first and use my existing Sony BS (ss-h501) for the time being till I get a BS/FS in my next purchase.

But regarding the center, I am aiming at Sonodyne Sonus C2401 (for 6.5K) or Wharfedale Diamond 9 (for 10K) but yesterday I was informed that Wharf 9 series in not available anymore in Calcutta but Wharf 10 series center starts at 15K.

And also considering the valuable of suggestions of FM and others, I am planning to get the Fronts and center from the same brand and series, even though I will add the fronts (FS/ BS) later.

Hello everyone,

My requirement and purpose of a Home Theater is for movies (50%) and music (50%). Sources for most of the movies will be USB/ HDD and will be using my HD STB for tv channels. I will be setting up the HT in my drawing room which is 210 sq ft. (i.e. 17x12 ft). I have a Sony 40" LED and currently I am using a local amp (really local and stupid) with 2 SONY SS H501G speakers which I got it with the Sony music system almost 14 years back.

Budget is around Rs.30,000/- (+-5K) Can increase a bit if there is finance option

Initially I wanted to go for Onkyo 3500, but few of the experienced members have suggested to go for separates, if the budget permits. Or to slowly build up the system one at a time, if budget is a constraint.

Promises Instruments, Kolkata have offered the price of Rs.33,000/- for Onkyo 3500 over telephone but they assured to offer some discount once I visit them. But I think the price of 3500 is around Rs.27,000 to Rs.28,000/- in most of the metro cities. I am yet to go there and experience the demo.

Today I went to Reliance Digital at Bansdroni, Kolkata. The Onkyo 3500 was out of stock and they couldn't tell me when I can expect it. The price at which they were offering it was Rs.28,000/-

However, the guy at the Reliance shop insisted me to check out the Poineer HT model HTP RS-30/32. It is a 5.1 with wood finish and active woofer. The price was Rs.37,000/- and they were offering a Samsung 3D blu ray player for additional Rs.3,000/- with this HT (they said the price of this blu ray player is Rs.8,000/-) with finance from Bajaj Finance. I demoed it but not very impressed with the sound quality but I guess its due to the kind of videos they were playing (They played some Bengali movie songs of Jeet LOL). But when I asked them to play some Blu ray movies, they played Transformer clippings and the sound quality and effect became more appealing.

I was also suggested by experienced FMs to opt for AVR like Denon 1312/ 1513 with separate speakers. I haven't checked them out too but I found that Denon DTH 1312BA is available for Rs.31,000/-.

Right now I am really confused as what to buy a good avr and couple speakers initially or just go for a HTiB? I don't want to stretch my budget beyond 35K right now. This is going to be my first HT and may be I will invest in another better one after 5-7 years which I have lit bit of extra money. :cool:

Please suggest.

Go Separate ..... Wait and add one by one if you have time and patience and if time is a constraint than you can also look for used gear in "For Sale" section !!!

I haven't decided yet but what I am planning is to get a center with the avr first and use my existing Sony BS (ss-h501) for the time being till I get a BS/FS in my next purchase.

But regarding the center, I am aiming at Sonodyne Sonus C2401 (for 6.5K) or Wharfedale Diamond 9 (for 10K) but yesterday I was informed that Wharf 9 series in not available anymore in Calcutta but Wharf 10 series center starts at 15K.

And also considering the valuable of suggestions of FM and others, I am planning to get the Fronts and center from the same brand and series, even though I will add the fronts (FS/ BS) later.

All the best for your search for the right speakers. I am too new to give any suggestion but below are few first-hand observations:

1. Don't worry too much about sensitivity. When I was finalizing the deal on Dali Lektor 2 which is 86Db, I read some remarks on the forum and got worried but now that I am using them with Yamaha 373, I know that it does not matter so much. The lowest volume level of the AVR is -80Db so I assume that the max would be +80 Db. I am not able to increase it beyond (-)10 Db as it becomes too loud. The normal listening is around (-)30 to (-)20 Db so there is no need to worry if the AVR will be able to drive the speakers with low sensitivity

2. Keep your options open for used speakers as well. Speakers which have been used for more than 100 hours sound better and at times, you get very good deals

Cheers,
Rikhi

All the best for your search for the right speakers. I am too new to give any suggestion but below are few first-hand observations:

1. Don't worry too much about sensitivity. When I was finalizing the deal on Dali Lektor 2 which is 86Db, I read some remarks on the forum and got worried but now that I am using them with Yamaha 373, I know that it does not matter so much. The lowest volume level of the AVR is -80Db so I assume that the max would be +80 Db. I am not able to increase it beyond (-)10 Db as it becomes too loud. The normal listening is around (-)30 to (-)20 Db so there is no need to worry if the AVR will be able to drive the speakers with low sensitivity

2. Keep your options open for used speakers as well. Speakers which have been used for more than 100 hours sound better and at times, you get very good deals

Cheers,
Rikhi

Thank you for your suggestion and encouragement. Anyways, I have opened a new thread particularly for the purpose of selecting a suitable centre speaker for Yamaha 373.

I hope to get equally good suggestions over there as I am getting it here now.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Rikhi

The lowest level of the AVR is - 80db, the highest or the maximum level will be +18db.. Not +80 db..

If you are running the AVR @ max loudness of -10db, i guess your AVR is operating @ 75% of the volume...

The lowest level of the AVR is - 80db, the highest or the maximum level will be +18db.. Not +80 db..

If you are running the AVR @ max loudness of -10db, i guess your AVR is operating @ 75% of the volume...

Thanks elangoas. What should be the optimum capacity utilization of an AVR? If I usually listen at around (-)20 Db, would you say that the AVR has enough power to drive the speakers?

Thank you,
Rikhi

Thanks elangoas. What should be the optimum capacity utilization of an AVR? If I usually listen at around (-)20 Db, would you say that the AVR has enough power to drive the speakers?

Thank you,
Rikhi

Yes.. It has some more power in reserve..... So not a worry...

For Ex..I have Onkyo TX NR 818 which drives my Sonodyne Sonus 2605 (89db) @60% volume setting (0 being lowest & 99.5 being highest).. So it roughly translates to 60% of power being used.... So it has enough 40% to hit hard if the situation demands..(or) if you like to crank Up....

Yes.. It has some more power in reserve..... So not a worry...

For Ex..I have Onkyo TX NR 818 which drives my Sonodyne Sonus 2605 (89db) @60% volume setting (0 being lowest & 99.5 being highest).. So it roughly translates to 60% of power being used.... So it has enough 40% to hit hard if the situation demands..(or) if you like to crank Up....

Thanks for the clarification. Much appreciated. :clapping:

What speakers you have decided ?

For the time being, I will be using my Sony BS (SS-H501) as fronts. Planning to get myself a centre and thereafter I will go for fronts (BS/FL) replacing the existing Sony. I am still now looking for some suggestions regarding what centre to buy for Yamaha V373.

I have short listed a few with my budget of 10K but haven't got the time to demoed it yet.

Sonodyne Sonus Centre
Polk CS10
Wharfedale Diamond 10 centre (but it costs around 15K)

Wharfedale Vardus centre is coming within a range of 10-12K from hifimart. But I don't think they are available in Calcutta.

I was also recommeded Mordaunt Short Carnival series.

Now choosing the correct centre is also confusion. :eek:

I have to chose the centre speaker carefully as I want to stick to the same brand/ series while buying the fronts (and my next purchase will be the fronts)

Do you have anything specific in mind, Rupam.

Thanks.

Congrats, you made the right decision, now time for speakers

Thank you and others for convincing me to go separate instead of a HTiB. Selecting each piece is difficult and time consuming, but I guess at the end of the day its worth.

Now I am only worried about my budget. Looks like its going to be double. :eek:hyeah:

Currently my avr 373 is connected with two speakers (front - L & R) only. I have connected my bd player sony s1100 via hdmi. Whenever I am playing a bd, the avr is displaying (Format: PCM) but channels 3/2/0.1. My question is: why I am getting PCM mode? Is it because I have only two fronts connected? Or do I need to adjust the setting of my avr and/ or BD player? Please help.

I think you need to change the BD player output (from BD player menu) from PCM mode to HDMI RAW (bitstream output). Keep the auto surround format in AVR.

Currently my avr 373 is connected with two speakers (front - L & R) only. I have connected my bd player sony s1100 via hdmi. Whenever I am playing a bd, the avr is displaying (Format: PCM) but channels 3/2/0.1. My question is: why I am getting PCM mode? Is it because I have only two fronts connected? Or do I need to adjust the setting of my avr and/ or BD player? Please help.

By default, the signal received by your AVR is PCM... Be it 2.0/5.1/7.1.....

Atleast in Onkyo/Marantz receivers that i have, it is PCM.. i guess it would be the same with other AVR's too...

I think you need to change the BD player output (from BD player menu) from PCM mode to HDMI RAW (bitstream output). Keep the auto surround format in AVR.

Thanks Rupam. Finally I am able to change the mode. Have to adjust the bluray player settings as per your advice. But I guess, since I have only two speakers (L & R) connected, I can't explore and try out all the options of the avr.

As you have only fronts, so you can use stereo mode from AVR. You will get all effects but in stereo mode.

Thanks Rupam. Finally I am able to change the mode. Have to adjust the bluray player settings as per your advice. But I guess, since I have only two speakers (L & R) connected, I can't explore and try out all the options of the avr.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back