Htpc case

corElement

WHY are they so expensive in india and why sint any manufacturer making a decent one and not glowy CRAP??!!?!

Anyone selling one of those silverstones in here??

WHY are they so expensive in india and why sint any manufacturer making a decent one and not glowy CRAP??!!?!

Anyone selling one of those silverstones in here??

Well cooler master makes some very decent cabbie and that Glowie crap is crap coz cheap manufactuers tend to use crappy lighting, a quality cabbie with esthatically quality lighting looks damm sexy....

I have coolermaster 690

Folks, just for your information, cases such as the iBall baby 207 are not HTPC cases. These are ordinary computer cabinets. The basic idea of an HTPC cabinet is the shape - like an AVR. Modern HTPC cases also come with small monitors for use. In most cases, you mount the HTPC on a equipment rack and use your main TV or projector for use. Ideally, an HTPC is used only to store music and movies and does not have any programs that is not related to A/V.

Ideally, the HTPC machine should not be used for regular computer usage such as surfing, word processing, chat, etc. You should have laptop or a different machine for that.

One of the main reasons for keeping the HTPC machine clean is to give it the freedom to play movies and music well. I have seen players skipping or pausing frames in a movie when the CPU time is hogged by an external program. Similarly when you are playing a song, the system could pause for a second or so. or even skip part of a track.

I would also recommend that you look at 4 to 8 GB of RAM for uninterrupted use.

Cheers

Cheers

Folks, just for your information, cases such as the iBall baby 207 are not HTPC cases. These are ordinary computer cabinets. The basic idea of an HTPC cabinet is the shape - like an AVR. Modern HTPC cases also come with small monitors for use. In most cases, you mount the HTPC on a equipment rack and use your main TV or projector for use. Ideally, an HTPC is used only to store music and movies and does not have any programs that is not related to A/V.

Ideally, the HTPC machine should not be used for regular computer usage such as surfing, word processing, chat, etc. You should have laptop or a different machine for that.

One of the main reasons for keeping the HTPC machine clean is to give it the freedom to play movies and music well. I have seen players skipping or pausing frames in a movie when the CPU time is hogged by an external program. Similarly when you are playing a song, the system could pause for a second or so. or even skip part of a track.

Cheers

Cheers

exactly, I want it to look like an avr component since im hardly going to ever use it.

Cheers

Cheers

Though to certain extent you are correct but HTPC not necessarily should be like an AVR or whatever, any PC whose Primary objective is to play A/V and has equipment specifically for that purpose is termed as HTPC. Weather you run other programms does not make a difference specially in todays hi end PCs.........
Gone are the days when Proc was hogged by multiple programms, skipping frames is long gone story, and 4 to 8 GB for HTPC!!!!oh man with 8GB I can run 2 Vista Ultimate and a Win 7 Ultimate on the same machine along with decoading a movie to x.264 and running a heavy end game simutaniously and still PC would not skip a single beat in ANY audio video running, that too with a decent Dual Core or at the max a Quad.

2 GB RAM is more than sufficiend for an HTPS, A/V is no big deal. Gaming/Encoading/Rendering/A/V Editing.........IS

One last thing to conclude....its not the quantily of RAM that is important, but the speed, latency and timings, even a 1GB system with a Core 2 Duo or Athalon X2 would run the HTPC just fine.....

Regards
Sammy

Last edited:

Cheers

Cheers

I will upload pics of my 207 based htpc once I build it in April. then you can see ... :)

Cheers

Last edited:
Gobble dun worry for the Al front face and cosmetics i can give idea..

Baby surely will become like a Avr if you want ...
full diy HTPC is even possible.
Mini itx cases come cheap :M350 Universal Mini-ITX enclosure
Check pico zero noise fan less PSU too Products

Thanks Kaushik. I've seen the M350 earlier but have rejected the mini-itx form factor in general because the mobos come with few explansion slots.

And to me those htpc cases that look like AVRs look real ugly, neither here nor there... :)

The dotmatrix lcd screen is all I need on my baby :licklips: Anyways will show you when you come over. Lets not go OT on this thread.

cheers

Just get a iBall baby 207 for 1400/-, change the PSU fan to a Scythe Kama Japanese fluid bearing one and you get a beautiful chassis. It is the slimmest microATX tower around and a pretty powder coated finish.

http://www.anythinginit.com/images/product/baby 207.jpg

Forget paying 6K for a stupid case. :)

Cheers

i've got the iball 207 in one of my HTPC builds. i'm really interested in the PSU you spoke about .. i've had a constant whine in the cabinet even after I swapped out othe OE PSU. imho that's just about the only downside of the box at this cost!

thanks

i've got the iball 207 in one of my HTPC builds. i'm really interested in the PSU you spoke about .. i've had a constant whine in the cabinet even after I swapped out othe OE PSU. imho that's just about the only downside of the box at this cost!

thanks

You should replace your PSU fan with this one Edit: corrected url http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/acc/062/sflf80_detail.html japanese fluid bearings Edit: S-FLEX SFF80C 2000rpm model.

I searched high and low for a good SFX PSU didnt find any. Where did you find a substitute for this so easily? :)

Edit: dont change the PSU - there are none available in that size that are cost-effective.

Cheers

PS: dont you think its a pretty lil cabinet? :) Add an LCD in the 5.25" drive bay and you are all set!! (unless you want to use CDP)

Last edited:
sigh the case I really like is 13k :(
caja%20lc16m.jpg

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back