HTPC Remote control.

I have found that the remotes do not have very effective trackpad.

I am thinking of getting a cheap 7inch andriod tablet for remote apps as well as occasional terminal service to the PC. I feel this can be more usable solution

Why d you wamt to use a trackpad?
I have found that the remotes do not have very effective trackpad.

I am thinking of getting a cheap 7inch andriod tablet for remote apps as well as occasional terminal service to the PC. I feel this can be more usable solution

If you ever get a zalman in the future they come with remotes like this
zalman_hd135__06_223.jpg

Why d you wamt to use a trackpad?

I use the PC for occasional browsing and some doc. editing. and the odd software installations.

well if its not for the trackpad, i am assuming everyone has a smartphone today, so why a physical htpc remote. xbmc etc. all have thier apps for andriod, windows mobile etc. and they work like a charm.

^^ In the interests of keeping the Music PC "pure" I have disabled the NIC, and I have no wireless LAN set up. I also have no AV installed to take full advantage of the "disconnected" scenario. How much this helps is a matter of debate, but I prefer it this way :)

For this reason, I can't use a smartphone to control the PC. For ease of use I prefer to have something handy to do the controlling. I also don;t want to have to attach a mouse or KB every time I want to tweak something, or copy form files. So I need a (reasonably) full fledged KB+Trackball/pad that can fit in my hand.

I use the Lenovo n5901 now (which fits my needs to a T), but it is getting increasingly eccentric in behavior.

Any idea if any of these remotes are compatible with OpenElec? Am on AD10 with the latest beta build of OpenElec (1.95.3). Am currently using the bundled MCE remote that came with Zotac, but that doesn't have all the buttons (it doesn't have the menu button, and I don't know how to map it).

Any idea if any of these remotes are compatible with OpenElec? Am on AD10 with the latest beta build of OpenElec (1.95.3). Am currently using the bundled MCE remote that came with Zotac, but that doesn't have all the buttons (it doesn't have the menu button, and I don't know how to map it).

I've worked on setting up Eventghost on my windows XBMC HTPC. It does the mapping job easily and is powerful in terms of assigning the buttons to do any other tasks on windows machine as well.

Do not know if there is an equivalent in Linux. Hope somebody would have come across this situation in Linux and has the answer.

Maybe of some use to you:

openelec-remote-control-setup.html
http://www.technazgul.com/2010_09_01_archive.html

Last edited:
Asus announces a Mouse + Trackpad Combo

asus-vivomouse-1.jpg

Video:
http://www.viddler.com/v/a07a295d

Link: ASUS launches VivoMouse, a wireless optical mouse with a multi-touch trackpad (video)

Dubbed the VivoMouse, ASUS claims this to be the world's first mouse-and-touchpad hybrid, and it's also wireless. One bonus feature here is that you can use it as a handheld remote with thumb control -- presumably the thumb stays on that circular trackpad with ASUS' iconic spin finish. We'll know more once we get our hands on this optical mouse in a moment, so keep an eye out for an update here.

The VivoMouse is actually slimmer than we expected, and when held in air, you can scroll pages by simply stroking along the lower edge of the circular trackpad. Other usual Windows 8 gestures are supported, including pinch-to-zoom, rotate, start menu toggle and sidebar toggle. The LED underneath the device uses blue light for better tracking as well. It's a pretty slick device, but hopefully it's won't be too pricey, either.

Source: Engadget

This looks like a pretty usable HTPC remote to me. There are no Play/Pause/<</>> buttons, but I think the integrated trackpad, and the mouse functionality makes up for that!

El Cheapo is here.
Buy the free app mobile mouse from the app store or android play store. You'll also need to install a small additional software on your HTPC available at the developer's site. You can turn your smart phone/tab into an HTPC remote without paying a single buck. The screen of your phone acts as a touch pad and you can pull up the normal qwerty keyboard. If the basic features of the lite version aren't enough, the pro version can be bought for ~Rs. 150. This is an amazing application and I've never needed a media remote after downloading this app.

Mobile Mouse Remote & Trackpad for the iPhone, iPod, iPad, and Android

gmote also does the same thing. infact the gmote server that is to be installed on the computer is also able to play almost everything

Yes it is. But the reason i prefer mobile mouse(previously known as air mouse) is that it is available in both apple and android platforms whereas gmote only supports android.

024 Air Mouse vs Gmote App Challenge

Still, they both do the same thing more or less.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back