HTPC software

nitinbose

Hi Everyone,

We've all come across HTPCs. One of the major challenges would be the booting time! The time taken to "switch ON" a DVD/Blu-ray player, AVR, LCD, Television is quite minimal; but a computer, that's a long wait.

Is there any simply OS that is delevoped specifically for HTPC and enables it to boot fast? Something like the iPODs?

How is XBMC?

Thanks,

Nitin.

The thing is even with Windows if you take a few steps to optimize the setup, you would be amazed that your computer can boot up within 30 to 40 seconds. That is not too shabby.

XBMC or even many other Linux distributions can possibly do better but then unless you are familiar with Linux you may run into problems.

Yes - the HTPC experience probably is not as plug and play as a DVD player. Not unless you are willing to invest in a high end case coming with a remote control etc which will switch the PC on and off.

okay xbmc starts up at bootup in windows xp for me.......it takes 20 seconds from machine startup to xbmc interface. That works for me.

Asus has devloped inbuilt software(MB) which can boot & reach internet in 15sec, not yet for HTPC.

Asus has devloped inbuilt software(MB) which can boot & reach internet in 15sec, not yet for HTPC.

its actually a port of linux os and it is called splashtop (for asus mobos) - totally useless for media playback- okay for surfing. chatting etc. Problem with addon network cards not detected etc - so still rudimentary and evolving.

You could always hibernate your PC, or if your power situation is good, leave it in S3 standby. The PC will boot in a few seconds from S3, with your desktop the way you left it. Hibernate takes a wee bit longer, but still much quicker than regular boot.

Both these power options are suboptimal for a dedicated audio PC though, so I juts boot every single time. The few minutes of waiting is worth the hours of pleasure. And sometimes the setup is left on for a few days together anyway.

Absolutely. I dont see the bootup time being a big factor at all.

For me a VERY important requirement for a HTPC would be on whether the operating system suports a good playback software, delivering the necessary quality.

Ofcourse a step even more fundamental would be whether that OS has drivers for your HTPC hardware !

Absolutely. I dont see the bootup time being a big factor at all.

Power you PC on, go down, make a cup of coffee or tea for yourself and when you come back, your PC is ready to sing for you. If you sit and stare at the monitor, you will tend to get irritated. Just walk away and come back after a few minutes.

As Cranky and Vortex say, what is a few minutes against hours of pleasure?

Cheers

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back