Hunt for speakers begins

An update:

I was wandering in Vijay Sales, Vashi and I came across the same Studio serier Jamos that are found everywhere. I curiously asked the salesman there for Concert series and he immediately called somebody at Jamo. Even I talked to him and asked for a demo of C405/407. He immediately called back and told me that one of his dealers, Sahkar Electronics in Chembur has got S606 and if I'm interested in auditioning. I don't have faith in S-series of Jamo but when he told me the specs (2 mid-rand drivers, 1 side-firing woofer), I got interested.

Visited the shop in an hour's time and found out that it's a generic electronics shop (with plans of opening a hi-fi listening room shortly). The guy gave me the demo of Jamo S606 with a 70-watt RMS Yamaha integrated amp. He also mentioned that the speakers are bi-wired. I liked the overall sound. It was sweet, clear vocals and good bass. Good enough not to desire for a sub, ever. He told me the price 28,900 MRP with 5% discount. I believe I could settle for a 10% discount then and there. I requested him a demo of C405/C407.

Last week he called me up and said he has a C405 for auditioning. I left my office two hours early and reached his shop. Luckily he had the S606 still lying there. I took the comparative auditioning of C405/S606. To my surprise, C405 had equal bass (in fact tighter in general and better at times) without an extra 8" woofer. Also after listening to C405, S606 sounded muddled to me. Vocals in C405 were so clear that S606 was sounding like if the singer is under-stress. I found C405 to be pretty exciting as compared to S606. Also I figured out that the C405 was one or two db louder than S606, in general, at same volume level of amp.

So far, C405 is the best sounding speaker to me. I am planning a visit to Lakozy for PSB Image 15/25. Magma on this forum has promised to come along for the auditioning. :)

I called up Lakozy for the new PSB Image series bookshelves (B4, B5 & B6). They told me that it will arrive in a month's time. Also I thought that as the old series B15/B25 were discontinued they may have good deals on them.

However, I was informed that B15/B25 stock is now over and new shipments are of new series. Only towers of old series are left. Let us know what you get to audition when you go there.

So far, C405 is the best sounding speaker to me. I am planning a visit to Lakozy for PSB Image 15/25. Magma on this forum has promised to come along for the auditioning. :)

There was a large thread running here about how active studio monitors can never hope to replace passive Hifi speakers which are meant to be listened over a distance of say 8 to 10 feet. That was most informative. I would recommend looking over that.

The C405 from Jamo is a good speaker at around the Rs. 40000 mark. It offers good bang for the buck and does most things well. Good luck with the PSB auditions. I would be curious to know how the new Image series compare with the older ones.

Hi Bizarre,

Which speakers did you finally purchase? Currently, I am on a project of building a Transmission Line speaker system, which i think you should listen to before you finally decide. I have my showroom at Thane and you can visit if time permits.

Regards, Hari.

No, I am not a speaker manufacturer but an hobbyist and at times do build speakers for friends on request based on their requirements. Currently one of the speaker manufacture approached me to build one TL speaker where he will sell it if he likes the product. The TL speaker is still under design stage and will take atleast a month to complete. Will post images onces done.

At home i use a TL tower speakers build around 2 years ago along with Denon AVR-1604 Receiver. The TL line is tuned to 34 Hz and uses a straight line mass loaded design.

Best Regards, Hari.

I would have loved to use a dual-cone full-range speaker with a resonating requency around 45 Hz and Qtc = 0.35 with a Nonminal power handling of around 80Watts but unfortunately i am not able to narrow down such a driver.

Hence i am settling down for Peerless - 6.5" Kevlar cone woofer and Peerless- Low Fs Aluminium Dome Tweeter. I hate using cross-overs and will try not to use one for the woofer and use the natural roll-off of the woofer and use the cross-over only for the Tweeter. It will be a Butterworth 6dB/Octave cross-over with some corrections for the sensitivity, impedance and waveform.

Regards, Hari.

I had seen the said drivers at Dev Audio about a year back but the availability is not guaranteed. Do you also buy from them?

I am no pro if you may think i am. :)

Would be interesting to know how this speaker performs specially the mid-bass without any xover

Sorry guys, I lost track of my own thread!

Hi Bizarre,

Which speakers did you finally purchase? Currently, I am on a project of building a Transmission Line speaker system, which i think you should listen to before you finally decide. I have my showroom at Thane and you can I have my showroom at Thane and you can visit if time permits.

Regards, Hari.

Thanks for the offer, Hari. I will definitely try to make to your showroom. Will visit as soon as I can. This week looks uncertain though.

I haven't bought any speakers as yet. But I'm in very advanced stage of finalizing one. Most probably it would be either Monitor Audio RS1 or Jamo C405. I'm inclined towards the C405 as I have got a really nice offer (30k w/ b&w).

Will keep you guys posted!

Sorry guys, I lost track of my own thread!

Thanks for the offer, Hari. I will definitely try to make to your showroom. Will visit as soon as I can. This week looks uncertain though.

I haven't bought any speakers as yet. But I'm in very advanced stage of finalizing one. Most probably it would be either Monitor Audio RS1 or Jamo C405. I'm inclined towards the C405 as I have got a really nice offer (30k w/ b&w).

Will keep you guys posted!

You were mentioning about going for a book-shelf speakers due to space constraint in your home, but the C405 is a floor-stander more than 3 feet tall. If you are looking out for a floor stander then i have a very good Transmission line (2-way) design floor standing speakers which would be much compact than the C405. I also have one on display in my showroom which is a different design for an audition. Do visit before you decide.

Regards, Hari.

Back