I wanted to buy a lcd/plasma tv (42") please guide me where to buy & which one to buy

Re: I wanted to buy a lcd/plasma tv (42") please guide me where to buy & which one to

C10 and X10 are HD ready. (720p)

S10 and G10 are Full HD. (1080p).

Cheers

Re: I wanted to buy a lcd/plasma tv (42") please guide me where to buy & which one to

I recently bought an LG from Vijay Sales in Pune, and there was a very attractive 15k discount going on in some of the models. I had the same budget and was getting the basic 42" LG LCD model for about 42k. I ended up stretching my budget though, and got next model (42" LG80FR) for 48k. Decent feature set - 10 bit IPA panels, full HD, HDMI, USB port that reads divx as well. The higher models have (comparatively) very nice sound.

One thing I wanted to mention to some other forum members who are recommending models. Please note that picture quality should not be the one and only criterion for model recommendation. YMMV of course, but in my auditions, I found only marginal differences in the various (non-LED backlit) LCD offerings, irrespective of the brand. Maybe, I'm not that discriminating, I don't know. However, what set some of the models apart for me was the sound quality.

The sound quality of most LCD or Plasma models is abysmal and horrendous. Tinny sound with absolutely no bass or mids. This is fine if you are going use a HTS setup for sound, but please remember, not everyone is. Hence, sound quality becomes very very important for those of us who plan to use the in-built TV speakers. However, I hardly hear this feature being mentioned or discussed in TV recommendations. I think this feature deserves far more consideration that it currently gets.

^ I don't. I think given the fact that the SQ however good can be mediocre at best, for anyone who cares about the sound (most people don't), you should be getting a HT. And before you say "not everyone can afford it" I would say the least you can do is buy a 4-5k computer speaker system which will be waaaaaaaaay better than any LCD/Plasma speakers.

So IMHO sound quality is redundant feature. If they would sell LCD/Plasmas without speakers but instead reduced the price by 1k, I would take that.

I get what you're saying, but you're missing one point: space saving.
For example, even if I wanted to, I cannot fit horn speakers in my living room. There simply isn't enough space.

Similarly, a HT setup requires a lot of extra space for the amp/receiver, speakers, extra wiring, etc. Especially for a lot of people living in rented apartments, this is not a desirable option. I also suspect that I'm not the only one facing these constraints. Most people have to find a balance between these factors, and this is where your logic does not universally apply. Buying an LCD/Plasma without speakers might work for you, but for many many people, it would be a complete deal-breaker.

Another thing: I disagree that computer speakers sound far better than in-built speakers. As I mentioned earlier, this might be true for the low-end models, but some models have pretty decent sound, and can only be trumped by a decent stereo/HT setup.

There is a reason why companies have been selling lots of televisions with "500W PMPO" and "bazooka" sound. While this is not high fidelity audio by any stretch of the imagination, some models are leagues ahead of others in the sound department and are sometimes "good enough". I'm sure that many people even in this forum have made compromises in audio quality in their computer speakers or even in their HT setup as long as it has met a minimum acceptable standard.

All I'm saying is that it will be very informative and useful for several readers of this forum to get inputs on audio quality of televisions, along with picture quality.

can only be trumped by a decent stereo/HT setup.

There is a reason why companies have been selling lots of televisions with "500W PMPO" and "bazooka" sound. While this is not high fidelity audio by any stretch of the imagination, some models are leagues ahead of others in the sound department and are sometimes "good enough". I'm sure that many people even in this forum have made compromises in audio quality in their computer speakers or even in their HT setup as long as it has met a minimum acceptable standard.

All I'm saying is that it will be very informative and useful for several readers of this forum to get inputs on audio quality of televisions, along with picture quality.
If you carefully go through the forums topics, you will realize that none who takes / receives advice here recommends LCD for their sound quality. Reason: sound amplification and reproduction is an art and it cannot be achieved in the "wafer" thin models of LCDs. The viedeocon bazookas were good at their time since there were NO influx of internet! So people did not knew what are the better models (except from the idiot box ads!)
If you are still referring to PMPOs, then probably you haven't heard "real" sound yet. I would strongly suggest you go to a AV shop and audition sound.
With regard to your space constraint, I am sure you were watching CRTs before you bought LCD, that space would be enough for good bookshelve speakers. Go and Listen to music as it should sound.

So IMHO sound quality is redundant feature. If they would sell LCD/Plasmas without speakers but instead reduced the price by 1k, I would take that.
Had their been 40" version of Dell's LED Monitor G2410....too bad it's still a dream

If you carefully go through the forums topics, you will realize that none who takes / receives advice here recommends LCD for their sound quality. Reason: sound amplification and reproduction is an art and it cannot be achieved in the "wafer" thin models of LCDs. The viedeocon bazookas were good at their time since there were NO influx of internet! So people did not knew what are the better models (except from the idiot box ads!)
If you are still referring to PMPOs, then probably you haven't heard "real" sound yet. I would strongly suggest you go to a AV shop and audition sound.
With regard to your space constraint, I am sure you were watching CRTs before you bought LCD, that space would be enough for good bookshelve speakers. Go and Listen to music as it should sound.

Thanks for the advice. The Audioengine A2 might actually be small enough for my room.

By the way, I was referring to PMPO to make a side-point. You will realize it if you read my previous comment more carefully.

sound amplification and reproduction is an art and it cannot be achieved in the "wafer" thin models of LCDs.

Never say never. There are plenty of drivers and loudspeakers that are not based on the traditional cone driver design. Even among cone drivers, open baffle designs are regarded very highly, and they too are "wafer-thin" as per your definition. Plus, this forum also recommends audiophile grade headphones and earphones, right? (Yes, I know this is not a good example as music fidelity can still be maintained because the drivers don't need to push as much air).

Let me turn your comment around. While I agree with your recommendation, let me ask you. Have you auditioned the sound quality of some of these LCD or plasma models yourself? Or are you just saying it because it happens to be a universal funda, just like how crappy Bose is? To your comment about sound amplification, please look at class-T amps (and similar others).

Last edited:

Never say never. There are plenty of drivers and loudspeakers that are not based on the traditional cone driver design. Even among cone drivers, open baffle designs are regarded very highly, and they too are "wafer-thin" as per your definition.
Can you name few? and their prices too? Yes, that is the current research that is going on, but it will take a little time to perfect, till then the prices will remain high.

Plus, this forum also recommends audiophile grade headphones and earphones, right? (Yes, I know this is not a good example as music fidelity can still be maintained because the drivers don't need to push as much air).
You answered your own query. Sound reproduction in an open air is much different than the "closed" design. And hence, much complicated.

Let me turn your comment around. While I agree with your recommendation, let me ask you. Have you auditioned the sound quality of some of these LCD or plasma models yourself?
Yes, I have. Go and listen to LG 42LH60YR, which boasts of "virtual 5.1 sound" with 700w PMPO. and then listen to Norge 2060 + Wharf 9.2. And then then tell me.
Now compare the prices.
42LH60YR will cost you something around 66 - 68K
alternatively pick up any 42" inches which is around 50K (Say 42" LH35 series or sammy 40B530). So you will still have cash left for Norge 2060 (7K) + Wharf 9.2 (~11K)
Now which will you go for?

just like how crappy Bose is? To your comment about sound amplification, please look at class-T amps (and similar others).
Who says Bose is crappy? They are in a different league. Have you noticed their mid-range sound reproduction? Just that not many people are happy with their pricing, and so VFM comes into effect there.

Last edited:

Can you name few? and their prices too? Yes, that is the current research that is going on, but it will take a little time to perfect, till then the prices will remain high.

You answered your own query. Sound reproduction in an open air is much different than the "closed" design. And hence, much complicated.

Yes, I have. Go and listen to LG 42LH60YR, which boasts of "virtual 5.1 sound" with 700w PMPO. and then listen to Norge 2060 + Wharf 9.2. And then then tell me.
Now compare the prices.
alternatively pick up any 42" inches which is around 50K (Say 42" LH35 series or sammy 40B530). So you will still have cash left for Norge 2060 (7K) + Wharf 9.2 (~11K)

Who says Bose is crappy? They are in a different league. Have you noticed their mid-range sound reproduction? Just that not many people are happy with their pricing, and so VFM comes into effect there.

Manju, While I agree LGs are crappy panels, You got to appreciate their technology when it comes to sound. Iam not saying that other manufacturers cannot produce such sound but they simply don't. IMO, LGs produce the best all round TVs. Others just produce better panels. If I were to pick, I would never touch an LG LCD even after knowing that they are excellent all round TVs, but that is only me.. A friend of mine had the requirement of seeing only DTH and no HD what so ever and want to use the TV from day one without add-ons. He chose the LG and he is happy!

I agree that your 2.0 setup is superior but it is not the solution for someone looking to wall mount the TV and forget about it. Neither is the difference between LH35 and LH60 17k. The invisible speakers with awsome sound (in terms of flat panels) is not an easy task to archive. We got to give it to the LG.

hi where did u do ur Phd:licklips: don't misguide the buyer if u do not know. do u think the compamy spends billions in R&D and make a tv to sit amd watch in dark room:mad::mad: u lak knowledge:cool::yahoo:

That comment was made in may 2009 about the 2008 plasmas!

2009 plasmas come equipped with good Anti-Glare filters and work fine with normal home lighting.

Actually yes. I lacked knowledge when I wrote that. 2009 plasmas were already out then.

FYI, I own a 2009 plasma now and am happy. Works fine with normal home lighting.

Search the net for full range drivers in a open baffle design. There are plenty of DIY designs, and you can get Fostex drivers for under $200.

Please also search for electrostatic speakers (Electrostatic loudspeaker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). Since you wanted an example, please look at Martin Logan speakers (MartinLogan | Premium Speakers for Home Theater & Stereo)

Yes, the prices are high, but that is why I said in my previous post "never say never". I was making a theoretical point, not a VFM argument. Plus, prices of exotic speakers are often high because they don't have the benefit of scale. If a company like LG decides to do electrostats, they can easily commoditize the technology and make it really cheap.

You want another example.. look at how Class D amps have evolved. Example: Tripath and ICEpower based amps. Read this review: 6moons industry featres: ICEpower 1000ASP - the perfect amplifier?

Now compare the prices.

You're again missing the point! To take another example, an assembled desktop computer gives you the absolute best bang for the buck in terms of features, performance, quality, etc. Why then are people still buying millions of underpowered and overpriced laptops, netbooks, and cellphones with cameras and email??

They're buying it because people are willing to trade (to some extent) performance and features for compactness and portability.

I don't know what you mean by different league, but I've heard the Bose Acoustimass series, and they're quite crappy. I've heard better depth in Quad bookshelves. Having said that, some of the old Bose speakers are supposedly quite good.

^ I don't. I think given the fact that the SQ however good can be mediocre at best, for anyone who cares about the sound (most people don't), you should be getting a HT. And before you say "not everyone can afford it" I would say the least you can do is buy a 4-5k computer speaker system which will be waaaaaaaaay better than any LCD/Plasma speakers.

Noble thinking ...but against market wisdom !
As in 2002-2004 many plasma panels were without tuner and speakers esp sony ( I used to be in sals that time) but acceptabality of built in Speakers and Tuner grew to such an extent that you think it is built in features!!

So general market wanthed these features,however crapy thety are ( many of us are not using tuner like myself using cable stb)
Still you get panels with video display only.I saw one with Lacozy a 65 inch pana panel attractivly prised ,but I think availabality is low due to acceptabality!

There are plenty of DIY designs, and you can get Fostex drivers for under $200.
you are missing the point. you give me best of speaker drivers, best set of woods, and maybe some good labour skills and I will build you a amn good speakers! yes, DIY will be relatively cheaper, but aren't we discussing about complete speakers here?

I was making a theoretical point, not a VFM argument. Plus, prices of exotic speakers are often high because they don't have the benefit of scale. If a company like LG decides to do electrostats, they can easily commoditize the technology and make it really cheap.
Not a VFM argument? you are the one who is comparing between computer speakers & LCD speakers. If VFM is never is picture, then money can buy anything. Every company has its own shop to run. If they make electrostat then they cannot sell it cheap, if it is not cheap it will not compete against other brands (since lot of buyers actually buy the product "off the shelf" and not do a proper research). So yes, LG can produce expensive speakers but they will go bankrupt. So they go as the flow goes.

I agree LG is way ahead in terms of introducing technology. Take for example all LG LCDs are IPS panel, but they are NOT eIPS panel! not many people cared about the 10 deg difference when looked from sideways.

I don't know what you mean by different league, but I've heard the Bose Acoustimass series, and they're quite crappy.
Well quite surprised about this. They are actually quite good. I have heard their center channel was faulty, but they corrected it later (back in 2006). Since then it was pretty good. Are you sure you used good receiver? Also, those are small cubes, good for your home (except the bass)

Thanks, I hear you.. and actually agree with most of what you said :) It's just that there ARE sometimes products that are cheap and quite good. Look at Trinitron for example. It was, IMHO, leagues ahead of the competition. In fact, they might still be the best CRT, although I can't say for sure. Again, if you see the review of a really cheap $25 Sonic Impact t-amp, it performs at a level associated with amps priced in hundreds of dollars.

Now, I don't own any LG shares, nor do I know how their speaker design is different (although I tried finding out, but didn't get any info) :sad:. Not claiming any kind of hi-fi sound from them, by the way.. just that in certain ad-hoc situations, their additional sound capability tilts the balance in their favor

The last time I auditioned Bose was several years ago, so you might be right. I will try them out again.

just an FYI for those that weren't already aware, since I stumbled on this thread, excellent (as claimed by a lot of reviews world-wide and owner feedback shared) electro-static hybrids manufactured right here in India, Pune to be exact.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back