I2S : A Dedicated Thread

I am currently using Blue Jeans HDMI cable 1 foot. I compared with other longer generic cables and I definitely preferred the shorter Blue Jeans. I have also ordered Sommer Cables - Excelsior bluewater which is Alvin's recommendation. Let's see how it fares in comparison with the shorter length Blue Jeans HDMI.
Do let me know once u compare it

Apparently you can take out I2S on the cheap using a converter like this

Came to know this from this post in psaudio. Don't fail to read the comments section for the ASR bashing. It is entertaining.

The actual thing is also aviable as a kit/card very cheap.

Also discussed here as "Douk Audio U2 Pro DDC - Poorman DDC for an affordable & clean digital signal"

Last edited:
Update on DDC
I Added A (Loaned) Hermes to Terminator DAC. The Addition was quite an upgrade to DAC alone.
Bass Resolution, Decay became much clearer with a wider Soundstage. Pumping up the Volume doesn't feel strained anymore.
Hermes has USB, Aes and Coax inputs. No option for i2s input, though it connects to Terminator via hdmi i2s . Usb Out from Rpi 4 itself was quite enjoyable, MacBook was much better. Aes from Pi2aes board to Hermes was quite a revelation.
If I go with Ddc like Hermes or Gaia pi2aes becomes unnecessary, I'll have to Hunt for a Nuc, or Streamer like Sotm with USB output.
Once again a better Ddc significantly improves your DACs performance.
c1_IMG20220619132730__01_     1817af895a1_3.jpg

Update on DDC
I Added A (Loaned) Hermes to Terminator DAC. The Addition was quite an upgrade to DAC alone.
Bass Resolution, Decay became much clearer with a wider Soundstage. Pumping up the Volume doesn't feel strained anymore.
Hermes has USB, Aes and Coax inputs. No option for i2s input, though it connects to Terminator via hdmi i2s . Usb Out from Rpi 4 itself was quite enjoyable, MacBook was much better. Aes from Pi2aes board to Hermes was quite a revelation.
If I go with Ddc like Hermes or Gaia pi2aes becomes unnecessary, I'll have to Hunt for a Nuc, or Streamer like Sotm with USB output.
Once again a better Ddc significantly improves your DACs performance.
View attachment 70164
What about USBridge signature?

What about USBridge signature?
I've used both USB bridges, I liked the older one. The Newer one's didn't fare better than Rpi 4 with LPSU. Either way I'm not going the Allo Streamer Way, they're very good Entry Point for most of us, but that's it.

The Rpi 4 on USB out running Riopee XL on Roon isn't playing DSD via Hermes, I don't know what's going wrong. Usb Direct to DAC plays Dsd effortlessly. Will need to check Hermes Config options.

The Rpi 4 on USB out running Riopee XL on Roon isn't playing DSD via Hermes, I don't know what's going wrong. Usb Direct to DAC plays Dsd effortlessly. Will need to check Hermes Config options.
The earlier firmware on Hermes didn't play DSD. The firmware probably needs to be updated

Finally Denafrips Gaia is here, its a marginal improvement over Hermes
But a remarkable improvement when played from Terminator direct; Quite happy with the upgrade.

View attachment 70647View attachment 70646
I'm still on the fence about whether to add a Hermes to the Pontus II.
Going by your experience, if a Hermes/Gaia can improve upon a Terminator, I guess my question is answered.

No longer a fence sitter.
Wecome to the Hermes.
Set both Pontus II and Hermes I2S pinout to 000. There is distortion on the 48khz files, although 44.1khz plays fine.
Need to do some more research I guess.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back