ICE for Honda City - i-Vtec

syed_rizvi

Hi,

I'm planning to install a new ICE in my Honda City (2011) - iVtec and have been suggested the following configuration :-

Fronts

JBL - GTO609C (Quoted - Rs 5990)

Rears

JBL - GT6 - S366 (Quoted - Rs 3200)

AMP

JBL - GTX646 (Quoted - Rs 6500)

HU

Pioneer - 6050 UB (Quoted - Rs 9500)

(All prices are w/ bill and warranty)

I have the following questions :-

Q1 - Has anyone tried installing a sub or coaxials in the boot or parcel tray (respectively) in the 2011 I-Vtec? One dealer told me that the I-Vtec parcel tray space is not sufficient to accommodate Ovals/Coaxials. Also, he was of the opinion that having a sub doesn't really make sense in I-Vtec because of the sound proofing.
In the absence of a parcel-tray based installation or sub, I'm afraid that I'll be missing the thump-sounds -- that I'm really interested in.

Q2 - Is the AMP really needed, or is 6050UB good enough an HU to power all four speakers (front comps + rear coaxials)

Q3 - My budget is round about 20K, what is the best configuration suggested for I-Vtec?

Q4 - How does the above pricing sound? In other words, can I trust this dealer? :)

I have the following questions :-

Q1 - Has anyone tried installing a sub or coaxials in the boot or parcel tray (respectively) in the 2011 I-Vtec? One dealer told me that the I-Vtec parcel tray space is not sufficient to accommodate Ovals/Coaxials. Also, he was of the opinion that having a sub doesn't really make sense in I-Vtec because of the sound proofing.
In the absence of a parcel-tray based installation or sub, I'm afraid that I'll be missing the thump-sounds -- that I'm really interested in.

You can have a sub in IVtec, but not in a parcel tray, but as a ported enclosure. it will give you the required thump sounds;)

Q2 - Is the AMP really needed, or is 6050UB good enough an HU to power all four speakers (front comps + rear coaxials)

Your HU can power the front components, but in order to get a stable output from all the four spears you will require a 4 channel amp, have a look at the Kenwood 845

Q3 - My budget is round about 20K, what is the best configuration suggested for I-Vtec?

At 20k you can get a decent sound stage if the choice of your components are correct.

HU -- Kenwood KDC-U6046 (around 9k) else get a Kenwood KDC 346 (around 6k)
4 channel Amplifier -- Kenwood 845 (around 6.5k)
Front Compos -- Infinity Reference 6530 CS 270W with pair of two Tweeter (around 5.5k)
Rear Speakers -- JBL 400W 3 Way Speaker GTO949 Limited Edition (around 4k)

Then if budget permits....Front doors Damping

Q4 - How does the above pricing sound? In other words, can I trust this dealer? :)

Get in touch with if anyone else has installed from the same dealer, thats the only way to get the real review about installer.

Hope i was helpful :cool:

Thanks a lot for your reply. I'll follow-up with my dealer on these suggestions. I have one doubt:

Rear Speakers -- JBL 400W 3 Way Speaker GTO949 Limited Edition (around 4k)

Where do I put these speakers? If you check, the I-Vtec parcel tray cannot accommodate these coaxials.

change the parcel tray with better thicker tray to avoid the vibrations.
Try the illusion audio coaxials 500w speakers.They come for around 5k.
For components go for polk audio.u wont regret.
power the components and the sub with the 4 channel amp.
coaxials can be powered directly through HU.
For the sub u can look at pioneer or if budget permits focal.
i have the same setup in my car and it came around 25k.

Honestly if you have the honda OEM system in your car, upgrading to any of the above equipment is not gonna give you much mileage. The pioneer head unit you are considering is pathetic compared to the OE alpine that comes in the city/brio.

If you must upgrade, you need so significantly up your budget and look at a higher end alpine/kenwood with atleast 15k components such as rainbow/hertz and the likes. The OE coaxials sound better than the super bright JBLs that you are considering.

Hi wackywanderer2011,

I work in Pune but keep coming to Mumbai every alternate weekend. Recently I bought a Ford Figo. I've already identified the components as follows :-

HU - Alpine 136 BT
Fronts - Infinity Ref 6030CS
Rear - JBL 949 Limited Edition

I'll be purchasing these components from Milan Subway Mumbai but I'm not sure about the professionalism of the installers there.

So can you please let me know about a good installer in Mumbai ?

Many Thanks,
Syed

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back