ICSE Schools in Bangalore. Which one ?

I'm sorry and empathetic about your situation. I can only imagine how hard this must be. IMO, it is very important that you choose a school that does not pressurise the kids and parents. Speak to the locals and get opinions rather than speaking to your peers who may be "outsiders" like you. See where they put their children. They'll know better. :p
IMO the ICSE curriculum is very good, better than CBSE but EVERYTHING depends upon the school, right to the choice of textbooks. There is no cookie cutter like standardisation which is good. On the flip side, the level of learning is too much; much more than necessary for any child of a given age. Please don't choose a school on the basis of their ability to conduct online classes well - that is myopic and besides, this situation will be relatively short lived. Consider a State Board school too. In my opinion, a good State Board school will give these fancypant schools a run for their money.
About your elder son, please consider emigrating to another country. This is no country to bring up a special needs child in. Hell, we even treat bovines better than them! My cousin has an autistic son and when it was detected, they moved to Canada for him. He's 28 now and my cousin says moving out of India was the best decision they ever made. There is a lot of support you get from the State and support groups there which you can't even imagine getting here. There is another thing and I'll send you a PM you for that.

Last edited:
I'm sorry and empathetic about your situation. I can only imagine how hard this must be. IMO, it is very important that you choose a school that does not pressurise the kids and parents. Speak to the locals and get opinions rather than speaking to your peers who may be "outsiders" like you. See where they put their children. They'll know better. :p
IMO the ICSE curriculum is very good, better than CBSE but EVERYTHING depends upon the school, right to the choice of textbooks. There is no cookie cutter like standardisation which is good. On the flip side, the level of learning is too much; much more than necessary for any child of a given age. Please don't choose a school on the basis of their ability to conduct online classes well - that is myopic and besides, this situation will be relatively short lived. Consider a State Board school too. In my opinion, a good State Board school will give these fancypant schools a run for their money.
About your elder son, please consider emigrating to another country. This is no country to bring up a special needs child in. Hell, we even treat bovines better than them! My cousin has an autistic son and when it was detected, they moved to Canada for him. He's 28 now and my cousin says moving out of India was the best decision they ever made. There is a lot of support you get from the State and support groups there which you can't even imagine getting here. There is another thing and I'll send you a PM you for that.

I have considered migration. You're right about the support system from the government. The problem is I am a Central Government employee. I cannot even take long leave going abroad for his treatment. Moreover, the job security thing has really affected my confidence to take a leap of faith when it comes to career.

And with the elder one's situation, I am worried about making a wrong choice and living with regret. My home town doesn't have the facilities needed for my elder one.

I don't want this thread to turn into my sob story. Everyone has problems in life. Not just me. I hope I gain the strength to consider migration for the sake of my children.

@Silencer
There is no harm in reaching out and exploring the best for your kids.
If there is anything specific, please drop a PM.
I can try to connect you with local contacts for your older one, if needed.

As for your younger one, I would suggest a school that's a bit more relaxed.
I have heard that these days, some ICSE schools in Bangalore have a lot of take home projects.
This means you parents have to spend a good bit of time doing them.
So, as @keith_correa suggests, choose the school carefully.
Kids learn anyways.

Cheers,
Raghu

I have heard that these days, some ICSE schools in Bangalore have a lot of take home projects.
You're absolutely right. And the projects are a pain in the posterior. This is an old practice of home projects in ICSE schools and it is not as if the kids cannot do it themselves. It's always the damn parents (mostly mothers!!) who want to do the projects on behalf of their kids so that the kids are "appreciated" more! When my girl was at school we insisted that she completed the projects herself and we only told her what to do when she was stuck somewhere. More often than not, the end result looked like something the cat dragged in but at least she had the satisfaction of having done it herself. And to hell with the marks! :p

Last edited:
I wish you and your family all the VERY best that life has to offer. You WILL overcome this and it will all work out eventually. Don't worry about this turning into a "sob" story. I'm sure all of us here are glad to provide support if only verbose.

Thank you so much for the kind words :)

I am hoping the same. Hope is life, after all.

@Silencer
There is no harm in reaching out and exploring the best for your kids.
If there is anything specific, please drop a PM.
I can try to connect you with local contacts for your older one, if needed.

So, as @keith_correa suggests, choose the school carefully.
Kids learn anyways.

Cheers,
Raghu

Thank you. Sure, I will :)

I am reconsidering my decision to choose ICSE.

I'm planning to visit some schools and then decide.

You're absolutely right. And the projects are a pain in the posterior. This is an old practice of home projects in ICSE schools and it is not as if the kids cannot do it themselves. It's always the damn parents (mostly mothers!!) who want to do the projects on behalf of their kids so that the kids are "appreciated" more! When my girl was at school we insisted that she completed the projects herself and we only told her what to do when she was stuck somewhere. More often than not, the end result looked like something the cat dragged in but at least she had the satisfaction of having done it herself. And to hell with the marks! :p

Yeah. With an already tight daily schedule, I don't think I will be able to devote time for their projects. Eventually they will be rebuked at school, which could affect their confidence.

You guys must be thinking I am insane for overthinking this, lol.

We had projects only on high school and above. And obviously we were able to do it by ourselves.

I have considered migration. You're right about the support system from the government. The problem is I am a Central Government employee.
Considering the current Socio/Economic/Visa uncertainty, you are better off here with a Central Govt. job than emigrating to another country. The grass is always greener on the other side!

Considering the current Socio/Economic/Visa uncertainty, you are better off here with a Central Govt. job than emigrating to another country. The grass is always greener on the other side!

Frankly, I am confused. Most of my friends are abroad. They ask me why am I still in India? I like it here. My parents are old. I can be with them in 8 hours via road. No airport at my place. Hence road/ train.​

But like keith_correa opined, our country is not kind on special children. It's a fact. The scathing gazes when I take him somewhere public, the inquisitiveness of others and their judgmental comments. . As much as I like my country, all this just often make me feel like leaving everything and go live in a bunker far away. Society can be really supportive, but can be very cruel, too.

I consider migration only for the sake of my elder one's future. But not confident to pack and leave India since my parents need me here, too.

Oh. .man. . :(

Frankly, I am confused. Most of my friends are abroad. They ask me why am I still in India? I like it here. My parents are old. I can be with them in 8 hours via road. No airport at my place. Hence road/ train.

But like keith_correa opined, our country is not kind on special children. It's a fact. The scathing gazes when I take him somewhere public, the inquisitiveness of others and their judgmental comments. . As much as I like my country, all this just often make me feel like leaving everything and go live in a bunker far away. Society can be really supportive, but can be very cruel, too.

I consider migration only for the sake of my elder one's future. But not confident to pack and leave India since my parents need me here, too.

It is very sad and unfortunate to learn of your child's experiences here in India. I can well imagine what you and your family go through on a daily basis. I know someone born with Down's syndrome who has gone through and survived decades of privation, marginalization, mockery, sexual abuse etc here in Mumbai. Shutting shop here and taking off for foreign shores is a HUGE life-changing decision you'll make for better or worse. Weigh all your options with utmost deliberation but most of all keeping the welfare of your parents and children in mind !

Frankly, I am confused. Most of my friends are abroad. They ask me why am I still in India? I like it here. My parents are old. I can be with them in 8 hours via road. No airport at my place. Hence road/ train.

Developed countries indeed offer a better facility for Special Kids, period. At the same time, Health Care is super expensive even with Insurance, especially in States. Now coming to Society, crazy people exist everywhere; you will even get those gazes just because of the way you sound or your color complexion. So, it's not entirely fair to blame our Society at large. Things are improving here; Indian Society is more accommodating these days towards Special Children.

Last but not least is the Visa uncertainty; even if you take a chance and emigrate there, leaving your Job, there is no guarantee that you will get a Permanent Residency in that country and you won't be sent back home. A lot of people are doing Reverse Emigration these days. West is Good only if you have $$$$ else it's Even Worse.

I have been contemplating a lot. Just couldn't arrive at a solution. We will manage. I have to, eh?

My wife and parents are really supportive. Especially my wife. My parents have seen life. They will support their son no matter what.

But my wife, God bless her, has been a pillar in my life. Her parents disowned her after our marriage. And with a special child, sacrificed her career, all for our family.

During our visits to get periodic assessments, we have met a lot of divorcees. Men and women. It isn't easy to sail this tough journey together.

I feel like I am derailing the thread. For guys who visited to get an opinion about the subject, please excuse me.

Developed countries indeed offer a better facility for Special Kids, period. At the same time, Health Care is super expensive even with Insurance, especially in States. Now coming to Society, crazy people exist everywhere; you will even get those gazes just because of the way you sound or your color complexion. So, it's not entirely fair to blame our Society at large. Things are improving here; Indian Society is more accommodating these days towards Special Children.

Last but not least is the Visa uncertainty; even if you take a chance and emigrate there, leaving your Job, there is no guarantee that you will get a Permanent Residency in that country and you won't be sent back home. A lot of people are doing Reverse Emigration these days. West is Good only if you have $$$$ else it's Even Worse.

Those are the reasons why I am still kicking here in India, despite my friends forcing me to follow their route.

Those are the reasons why I am still kicking here in India, despite my friends forcing me to follow their route.
The Job Security and the Perks that come with a Central Govt. job here (especially in the Class 1 posts), it's like making a million $ in the US... Unless you anticipate making that kind of money after Emigration, don't move... no matter who tells what...

You said it right. No offence taken.

I didn't exactly mean stress is work. I have two children. My elder son is 5. He's in the spectrum and has other behavioral issues. We, my wife and I, have been going for his speech/ occupational/ sensory integration therapy across Bangalore since his diagnosis. The people at work has been kind enough to support me with flexible timing and all. But I cannot expect it continue forever.

Ever since his diagnosis, our life has taken a different turn, we just want him to be independent. Nothing else. You can imagine how hard can it be for us to juggle between work and therapy. He gets our maximum attention. We want him to have a meaningful life.

I am honestly worried that the younger one may not get the same attention. Our plates are already full. Mine is a love marriage. My wife is from the north. Her family isn't supportive. That's why I need the school to do the heavy lifting. I agree, I am shifting responsibilities from me. But mind you, I don't enjoy doing this.

But you're absolutely right about what you said.

Edit: My wife quit her job for the elder one. I can't ask more from her. You know, this wasn't the life we expected. But life is full of surprises.​
Are you able to get high quailty vitamin supplements? I don't mean a multi vitamin. Many kiddos with speech/spectrum disorders show improvements from taking a high quality Vitamin D3 and B6 specifically 50-100mg of Pyridixal-5-Phophate. My son is six and suffers from a SCN2a disorder, seizures and cerebral palsy.

Are you able to get high quailty vitamin supplements? I don't mean a multi vitamin. Many kiddos with speech/spectrum disorders show improvements from taking a high quality Vitamin D3 and B6 specifically 50-100mg of Pyridixal-5-Phophate. My son is six and suffers from a SCN2a disorder, seizures and cerebral palsy.

We haven't tried them yet for our son. I will check with our physician. Thank you.

We are now going for therapies. Like I said, we have come to terms with his diagnosis. We know it is not going away. So trying our best to give our best for him.

My son is on a sugar free diet. But not 100% sugar free, though. We can't escape from the unwanted sugar and salt in our food, no matter how careful we are.

How's your son doing now? Is he in school? I pray that the Almighty help us get through this. Everyone have their battles.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back