Ideas needed for dedicated HT room

visakara

I am a regular reader of this form for the past 6 months when I decided to construct my own

dedicated HT room.Though I am 6 months old in this form I consider myself as a novice in

front you.Now I partly completed the construction of Room 11ft x 16 ft in first floor

exclusively for HT.I have not completed the plastering of walls.Now I have lot of questions

to ask and pl do not get bored.

My budget for this room is Rs 3 lakhs and it is inclusive of TV,AVR,speakers and cabling

and other acoustic works.Now my questions are.

How much I should allot to each item.Shall I plan for projector in future and opt for a 46

in LCD.

Shall I opt for pre-amp and power amp and what is the advantages.

My architects planed a window of 3 x4 in the room and he insists this for ventilation.Is

it ok to provide a window?

What are the precautions I should take while doing plastering work for the walls.

I planned to lay wooden laminated flooring for most of my home.Is it O.K to lay wooden

flooring in this room and after that fix a carpet (wall to wall) or shall I leave the floor

with concrete finish and lay carpet over the above.

Planned for Armstrong acoustical tiles for ceiling.Shall I have to fix for whole roof or

partial fixing of tiles will do?

I am in Coimbatore and any one knows a Ht consultant in Coimbatore?

3 Lac is a good budget for a starter. Its great to read that you are building a dedicated theatre room and best of luck for your venture.

In my opinion you should spend your money in the following manner:
1. 50K-65K for an LCD TV or Projector, in this case an LCD could never give you the feel and advantage of a projector. If you consider LCD then look for LG, Samsung or Panasonic wherelse if you decide on projector then look for Panasonic (grey route) model AX200 or Optima Pj.For the Projector Screen as of now you can paint the wall for a DIY projector Screen.
2. Spend another 50K towards your AVR from the likes of Marantz Sr6003, Denon 2310, Onkyo 706, Yahama 663.
3. For the speakers I would suggest you to look for good stand mounters and complete your 7.1 setup. Standmounters because we are also having a dedicated Sub i.e .1 channel to fulfill your needs for the Low end of the frequency. Speaker setup from the likes of Wharfedale DM 9 and 10 series, MS, Polk Rti A series, Jamo C series,KEF,Klipch,Dali Lector Series. Suggested budget 1.00K.
4. Another 15K for your source from the likes of CA or Oppo or a Blu Ray player from Sony for around 20K.
5. Around 20K for wires and Servo atleat 1.5 Kva.
6. Last but not the least Acoustic Treatment of the room. Here we allot a budget of around 50K. In this budget you could cover the entire floor with wall to wall carpet, and instead of treating the entire room with absorbers and diffusers I would suggest you to just treat the reflection points in your room with the DIY absorbtion Panels and Bass traps for the corners.

Last edited:
A rectangular room will perform well for sound if its dimensions adhere to the ideal room ratios. Room modes or nodes are the result of standing waves which result from sound being reflected back off the walls of a room and interfering with the original traveling wave radiated by the source. The solution is to spread the modes as evenly as possible across the frequency spectrum by adjusting the room dimensions suitably. Room ratio calculators are available on many websites.

Another complex but advanced solution is to shape the room in such a way that all the walls, ceiling and floor are not parallel to the opposite surface. The front wall where the front speakers are located, can be shaped in such a way to act as an acoustic lens diverting most reflections away from the listening position. See attachment in post #9 at the link below

http://www.hifivision.com/what-should-i-buy/4423-acoustic-sound-absorption-panels.html

Last edited:
I am a regular reader of this form for the past 6 months when I decided to construct my own

dedicated HT room.Though I am 6 months old in this form I consider myself as a novice in

front you.Now I partly completed the construction of Room 11ft x 16 ft in first floor

exclusively for HT.I have not completed the plastering of walls.Now I have lot of questions

to ask and pl do not get bored.

My budget for this room is Rs 3 lakhs and it is inclusive of TV,AVR,speakers and cabling

and other acoustic works.Now my questions are.

How much I should allot to each item.Shall I plan for projector in future and opt for a 46

in LCD.

Shall I opt for pre-amp and power amp and what is the advantages.

My architects planed a window of 3 x4 in the room and he insists this for ventilation.Is

it ok to provide a window?

What are the precautions I should take while doing plastering work for the walls.

I planned to lay wooden laminated flooring for most of my home.Is it O.K to lay wooden

flooring in this room and after that fix a carpet (wall to wall) or shall I leave the floor

with concrete finish and lay carpet over the above.

Planned for Armstrong acoustical tiles for ceiling.Shall I have to fix for whole roof or

partial fixing of tiles will do?

I am in Coimbatore and any one knows a Ht consultant in Coimbatore?

hi some sugestions
1--avoid windows
2--go in for a projector or have both. mount the pj screen in front of the plasma/lcd --but the pic from an hd pj will outperform an lcd/plasma anyday--for me an ht shud begin aprox @ 100''+
3-- armstrong/ anutone for ceiling both are good
4-- go in for full false ceiling
5--avoid wodden flooring/ go in concrete finish and thick carpet. wall
to wall
6--for all the walls you cud use acoustic boards but this requires panelling and also take up some space so u cud use acoustic slims which can be directly applied to the plastered walls
7--budget for the equipments depends / better to go in for a pre/power combo as this gives u a far better sound than an AVR (for your budget of 3-4 lakhs u shud have a fantastic set up)
all the best

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back