IEM confusion

Seriously companies should realise indians also need stuff!!

Any of these have iphone controls just in case??

Already answered above ... even before you asked ;)

The local Sony center does not have the XBA series. Otherwise, I'd have bought both of them today :). Sony also has no plans to launch their iPod compatible line-up (XBA-1ip etc.,) or the other two (XBA-2 and XBA-4) in India at this moment (based on what Sony HO told me)

No! Sony does not discriminate. Even US does not get 64GB version of the Sony players :p. But, in India, they usually launch only one model each in A, E, W series and never go above 15K or so in terms of pricing. I hope they do not cut down on their portable audio division due to their heavy losses.

Coming to your other question, get an Apple IEM in the interim and see how it is. S4 is far off the Etymotic territory in terms of sound signature. I'd still suggest that you wait for and demo a XBA-1.

@ShutterX,

Sony does terrible things. On one hand, they release lower impedance phones like XBA-3 (12 ohms) and XBA-4 (incredible 8 ohms), which I am certain are likely to be affected by the output impedance of the players. Sony A845 has an output impedance of 35 ohms based on a post in this thread. Hifiman players also have large OI (HM-601 has 11 and 801 with one amp module had something like 30+ or so - forgot what it is). I think this is probably the reason impressions are all over the place for the XBA-3 and XBA-4 models.

@esanthosh
Multi-IEM Review - 234 IEMs compared (UE 500 & Paradigm Shift E3m added 04/08/12)

I found this.!
Very detailed!
Thinking of finally going for etys only.!

And yeah i just saw that ip versions are there but they are not available in india :(

I heard some nyc things about xba 3.!
I'll try them this saturday and sunday and finalise between them and etys.!:)

And yeah you are right about the sq thing.!
Lets see if sony center has a demo unit :)

I am in gurgaon but can easily roam to delhi or noida.!
Any idea which store can be helpful for me??

yup. you can to any of the stores. but if you want the best experience, go to the one in janpath. near the BMW showroom.

Seriously companies should realise indians also need stuff!!

Any of these have iphone controls just in case??

agreed. any speciality hobby is difficult to maintain in india.

as far as the iphone controls go, i dont remembering seeing any when i auditioned them.

@ShutterX,

Sony does terrible things. On one hand, they release lower impedance phones like XBA-3 (12 ohms) and XBA-4 (incredible 8 ohms), which I am certain are likely to be affected by the output impedance of the players. Sony A845 has an output impedance of 35 ohms based on a post in this thread. Hifiman players also have large OI (HM-601 has 11 and 801 with one amp module had something like 30+ or so - forgot what it is). I think this is probably the reason impressions are all over the place for the XBA-3 and XBA-4 models.

agreed. but these are basically units that are aimed at the lifestyle customer, not super critical audiophiles (a direction sony has been going towards for the last 7-8 years). i guess the low impedance will let you run these off any PMP. however, i would use my E7 with them irrespective.

@shutterx
I'll check them out tomorrow :)
Will surely let u know the impressions!

By the way i also need a headset piece if am gonna go for etys or sony.!
Should i go for apple generic ones only??
The one that come with iPhone!

By the way i also need a headset piece if am gonna go for etys or sony.!
Should i go for apple generic ones only??
The one that come with iPhone!

you could, i dont think it will make that much of a difference. anyways these are low impedance IEMS.

i used SoundMagic PL50 and HF5 IEMs so far.

I am in love with HF5 and think they are worth every penny.

i would suggest you audition XBA3 wid your iphone and then decide which one to get.

if you still want HF5, i would say, for now order something cheap like Sound magic pl30 or something in same price range and get the HF5 when your friend comes back. By then you will have something better than your stock ibuds.

This way you will also have 2 very well-rated iems wid diff sound-sigs. for almost 7-8k. PL30 i hear is bass-heavy as compared to Pl50 n pl50 is pretty similar to hf5s sound sig.(correct meif i'm wrong). hope this helps!! :)

[IMG2][/IMG2]
you could, i dont think it will make that much of a difference. anyways these are low impedance IEMS.

I dun necessarily want iems..i meant over-ears dat come with iphone for calling and skype purposes or should i go for something else??

@yuvaraki
Nyc advice but i dont like bass heavy headphones.!
For me quality matters over quantity.!
Can you tell some other time pass ones??

[IMG2][/IMG2]

chk this out. Theitdepot - Browse by Brand : SoundMAGIC

you could still get Soundmagic pl50 at 2.3k but as i said there is no diff in sound sig as compared 2 HF5. if you ask me i wouldnt want you to get that coz i repent that decision now.

But i would really ask you to get something like pl30 or even s4 if you can because hf5 is gonna be lot diff if you havent used any BA iem till now. Atleast for comparision purpose you'll have a iem wid diff signature. All said and done you may never like Hf5 as much as dynamic driver iems, so i would recommend pl30 though its bassy (only compared to pl50 but probably not like beats by dr. dre). Do a lil bit research about the pl30 bass quantity and then decide.

read this too. A Guide to Some Great Sounding In-Ear Monitors | InnerFidelity

chk this too! you should get them in like a day or 2 and 285 ppl seems to give it 4+ avg review.
http://www.flipkart.com/tekfusion-t...hrome/p/itmd6z7qynbsu483?pid=ACCD6Z7PBRYWTMGA

Last edited:
chk this out. Theitdepot - Browse by Brand : SoundMAGIC

you could still get Soundmagic pl50 at 2.3k but as i said there is no diff in sound sig as compared 2 HF5. if you ask me i wouldnt want you to get that coz i repent that decision now.

But i would really ask you to get something like pl30 or even s4 if you can because hf5 is gonna be lot diff if you havent used any BA iem till now. Atleast for comparision purpose you'll have a iem wid diff signature. All said and done you may never like Hf5 as much as dynamic driver iems, so i would recommend pl30 though its bassy (only compared to pl50 but probably not like beats by dr. dre). Do a lil bit research about the pl30 bass quantity and then decide.

read this too. A Guide to Some Great Sounding In-Ear Monitors | InnerFidelity

chk this too! you should get them in like a day or 2 and 285 ppl seems to give it 4+ avg review.
Flipkart.com: Tekfusion - Twinwoofers In-Ear Headphones (Black Chrome): Headphone

Hmmm.!
Getting Apple ADD IEMs for 3.25k.!
I guess they also have different sq from hf 5. Rite?

Last edited:
PL30 is not bass heavy, PL11 and E10 are. I'd rather get ES18 than PL11. Here are some of my initial impressions. I am expecting Tekfusion TW by next week.

ADD IEM has the similar bass light, bright signature.

Ohk.!
Can you suggest something that has a headset with it because i need a headset for calling(while driving) and skyping too.!(as i told the earphones that came with iphone have lost there sound)
Otherwise, you guys are suggesting three simultaneous purchases which is not possible!!

Getting HF3 would solve all issues together - iPhone compatibility with mic and your appetite for Etymotic sound ;)

Get E10M for 2K, which has iPhone compatibility (I don't have iPhone to test it) with good bass, warm mids, good treble and sound stage for the price. But you'd need to insert them well to hear their capability despite their slightly larger housings. IMO, PL50 is a very capable performer at that price, but I prefer HF2 far more. But, considering your case, may be try PL50 for cheap to see how a bass light, liquid mid, good treble presentation does for you. You won't spend too much money, have a taste of different signatures and then you can choose to upgrade based on which one you like.

Does this work for you?

You are right in that sense.!
Actually, hf5s are of 99$ on amazon so effectively under 5k and my friend told me that if i mark it as gift i can legally escape customs.!
Is that true??

It is generally true, though with customs, I say it's usually decided on a case by case basis. I was charged duty of Rs. 600 for a package sent as Gift and Rs. 900 another time, though they were both marked around $20. Other times, even without marking as Gift, the package came through.

Just remembered - Still do audition XBA-1 and 3 to see how they sound to you. May be instead of PL50 and E10M, you can go for XBA-1 and E10M. Remember one thing - no matter what others say, we all are working on our experience and assumptions about your taste. None of that comes closer to your ears and how your brain processes that information. So, do audition a few IEMs (friends, shops) before deciding rather than go by reviews.

[IMG2][/IMG2]

I dun necessarily want iems..i meant over-ears dat come with iphone for calling and skype purposes or should i go for something else??

@yuvaraki
Nyc advice but i dont like bass heavy headphones.!
For me quality matters over quantity.!

i guess these could go for them. i have checked some review and they sat that XBA-3 isnt necessarily very bass heavy, so i guess you would find them to your liking.

personally, xba-3 is something thats interested me for a while. i use an Audio technica M50 while travelling, but they get kinda sweaty:cool: (and this is a hot country). hence my interest in this product.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back